PDA

View Full Version : Worst turf ever?

speedster
06-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Is this nasty or what? It's on really hard compacted clay. How would you treat a lawn like this? bulldose.......dump 6" top soil........overseed and fert?

bigslick7878
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
How big is the area?

Wider shot of the entire yard would help.

speedster
06-21-2010, 09:13 PM
How big is the area?

Wider shot of the entire yard would help.

Those pics are from a camera phone so they aren't very good quality. The area of the pic is probably about 10 sq/ft per pic. I didn't take pics of the entire yard.

I think the 3rd pic in the series has but only a few blades of grass and what appears to be moss, clover, and some type of weed. The first pic has some type of really wide blade grass mixed in with some other cool grasses. And the second pic shows how clumpy parts of the yard are. Not sure if those clumps are Fescue or Rye grass. The yard is a total wreck.

bigslick7878
06-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Those pics are from a camera phone so they aren't very good quality. The area of the pic is probably about 10 sq/ft per pic. I didn't take pics of the entire yard.

I think the 3rd pic in the series has but only a few blades of grass and what appears to be moss, clover, and some type of weed. The first pic has some type of really wide blade grass mixed in with some other cool grasses. And the second pic shows how clumpy parts of the yard are. Not sure if those clumps are Fescue or Rye grass. The yard is a total wreck.

I meant the total area of the yard in question, it will make a big difference as to which route you could go.

speedster
06-22-2010, 07:19 AM
I meant the total area of the yard in question, it will make a big difference as to which route you could go.

Sorry, guestimating around 10,000 sq'ft

RigglePLC
06-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Call a professional--one who is small and can give you personal service and advice. You need something for the crabgrass and the weeds. Add top-quality seed in early fall--say Sept first.

ancjr
06-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd also highly recommend a full soil sample it with a good lab, one with a certified horticulturist and a lawn sample option that tests for P, K, the turf micro-nutrients and pH. I've been able to turn around a few nightmare yards once I knew what direction to take it with fert/ph. Also, aerate it to 36 holes per sq. ft. (lots) before you do any seeding. Topdress, if you can get a spreader. 10k is too much for me to consider with a wheelbarrow and a shovel. All this will be easier starting in September if it can wait that long. This time of year is very irrigation intensive for renovations, and the fertilizer is more apt. to burn as well. Once the soil is healthy, the grass grows fine and the weeds are much easier to deal with.

speedster
06-22-2010, 09:43 PM
excellant stuff guys. getting some samples together to send out tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device