PDA

View Full Version : Changed blades now belt won't tighten up?

Mason Dixon
06-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I took the deck of my ariens yt150h riding mower to change the blades, got her put back together and now when I go to engage the blades I can see the engine pulley turning but the traction drive belt won't tighten up. Is there something simple I am overlooking? It worked fine before I took the deck off btw.

Here is the layout of my belts.

http://i50.tinypic.com/35jclxx.gif

MarcSmith
06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
is it possible the spring came loose from the tensioner. that could be the only thing... unless you the deck is not back in the exact same location it was before the swap. even in inch off could make the difference.

Next question... why did you take the deck off?

Mason Dixon
06-21-2010, 07:59 PM
The spring is tight on the tensioner. I'll check to make sure I put the deck back in the right position but I don't see how it could be off very much or else the pins wouldn't align.

I took the deck off to change the blades.

MarcSmith
06-21-2010, 08:04 PM
you should not have to remove the deck to change the blades....

the pins may have lined up but something must be off...

that diagram is not the diagram of the deck its the drive belt. is it possible the belt on the deck came loose?

Mason Dixon
06-21-2010, 08:12 PM
The drive belt is definitely the one that is loose

MarcSmith
06-21-2010, 08:20 PM
stupid question I know.... but the belt is on the proper side of the tensioner pulley and the tensioner spring does put tension on the belt IE the spring is in the proper place...... if the deck belt is ok then the tension on the drive belt is the culprit... we know that the belt did not "grow" while it was off. we know that the engine side of the pulley did not move. so it's all about the tension... I know I'm, not helping much...sorry

nepatsfan
06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
The spring is tight on the tensioner. I'll check to make sure I put the deck back in the right position but I don't see how it could be off very much or else the pins wouldn't align.

I took the deck off to change the blades.

Why would you take the deck off to change the blades. If worst came to worst and you really didnt want to go crazy trying to get it back to how it was you could just go get a shorter belt. Its got to be either the tensioner, the belt not being on correctly, or the deck is in the wrong position.

Richard Martin
06-22-2010, 04:24 AM
Are you 100% sure you have the right belt? Did you hold the new one up next to the old one and assure that they are the same length? Or did you just assume that it's the right belt?

MarcSmith
06-22-2010, 06:31 AM
from what I can gather he never changed the belts, only the blades...

Richard Martin
06-22-2010, 06:38 AM
from what I can gather he never changed the belts, only the blades...

So he did. It never occured to me that someone would take the deck off just to change the blades. Does he remove the engine to do an oil change?

MarcSmith
06-22-2010, 07:29 AM
my theory is that he does not have a jack or jack stands so he dropped the deck, got it out from under the mower, flipped it over did the blades and now can't get it to work..

biggziff
06-22-2010, 09:05 AM
So he did. It never occured to me that someone would take the deck off just to change the blades. Does he remove the engine to do an oil change?

No offense, but maybe he didn't have any other way to get to the blades? Not everyone is mechanically inclined, yet they may still own equipment.

R & R Yard Designs
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
What type of face does the ilder pully have. From what it looks like you need to but the spring in the hole at the end away from the spring. Now if it a flat face pully you need to use the side the is cloest to the number two so the spring pulls on the belt cause right now it is doing nothing
Posted via Mobile Device

nathannc
06-22-2010, 05:16 PM
I took the deck of my ariens yt150h riding mower to change the blades, got her put back together and now when I go to engage the blades I can see the engine pulley turning but the traction drive belt won't tighten up. Is there something simple I am overlooking? It worked fine before I took the deck off btw.

Here is the layout of my belts.

http://i50.tinypic.com/35jclxx.gif

Did you draw the layout of your belts or did it come from a manual? It looks like attaching the spring on the other hole of the idler arm would put more pressure on the belt if there is clearance around the belt. The only other problems I can think of is 1) The belt is too big. 2) The idler arm has seized the pivot pin not allowing the idler arm to move.

nepatsfan
06-22-2010, 07:10 PM
No offense, but maybe he didn't have any other way to get to the blades? Not everyone is mechanically inclined, yet they may still own equipment.

Do you think you have to be more mechanically inclined to remove the deck, remove the drive belt and then take the blades off, sharpen them put them back on, put the deck back on, put the drive belt back on and then go mowing.....OR jack the deck up take the blades off and put them back on. hmmmmm....seems easier the second way. As far as being mechanically inclined I would say it takes more mechanical ability to do what he did so I am sure you didnt offend him at all.

Darryl G
06-22-2010, 07:19 PM
That layout doesn't look right to me. Doesn't the belt usually go on the other side of the idler pulley?

nathannc
06-22-2010, 10:39 PM
That layout doesn't look right to me. Doesn't the belt usually go on the other side of the idler pulley?

I agree. The layout doesn't look right.

It looks like the idler arm was put in upside down. If the idler arm were turned over, that would put the pulley to the outside of the belt and present the other hole in the idler arm in a better position for the spring to attach to it.

The only problem I see is the belt guard at the top of the pulley but, it might be easily repositioned to work with that configuration. Of course the idler pulley must be designed for the outside of the belt.

fastlane
06-23-2010, 12:45 AM
does pulley #4 have more than 1 grove ?

Mason Dixon
06-26-2010, 03:34 AM
Update: I ended up taking the mower into the local service place after I ran out of options. 2 days later and 45 bux spent to fix a 'stuck' idler arm.

Darryl G
06-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Glad you got it fixed and not too bad on the cost. In the future you may want to consider using some jack stands or auto ramps or something to change the blades.