PDA

View Full Version : string trimming beds

dgw
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
does anyone else trim there beds at a 45?

i do it because it edges it and catches any straglers from the mower at the same time

plus i found it looks really sharp

just board and couldnt think of any good threads

Heintooga
06-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I don't trim at angles. I don't care for the manufactured look of stripes, edges, etc. so I try to leave a more natural appearance by "blending without disturbing". I will use shears for touch-up if necessary. Does that make sense?

MileHigh
06-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't trim at angles. I don't care for the manufactured look of stripes, edges, etc. so I try to leave a more natural appearance by "blending without disturbing". I will use shears for touch-up if necessary. Does that make sense?

:hammerhead:

W.L.M.
06-21-2010, 10:40 PM
I too like the natural look, so much that I don't even cut the lawn I just fertilize it until I get that nice meadow look. :clapping:

mhaley927
06-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm a big fan of the 45. Especially along driveways sidewalks etc.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Could someone show me a picture of 45 please? I just might like it!

BINKY1902
06-22-2010, 12:08 AM
I actually have customers that don't want edging because they like the natural look of the grass leaning over sidewalks, etc. Less work for me so I don't complain.

dgw
06-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Could someone show me a picture of 45 please? I just might like it!

take one tomorrow

MS_SURVEYOR
06-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks!

ms

BadRancher
06-22-2010, 01:57 AM
I do and it looks damn good too. Sometimes if the bed edge is real tight and uniform, I turn it up vertical and go along the edges. I never use a trimmer to edge sidewalks and driveways. I don't like the big gap that eventually forms. MS Surveyor, this is a method to keep a good defined bed edge in between the Lawn and the Landscape. You've seen it before, just think of the most immaculate yard you've ever seen and remember the edging border between the grass and the mulch or straw.

This is also a good way to keep grass runners out of the bed and help prevent weeds and grass from popping up in the landscape. It DOES NOT prevent, but helps out.

topsites
06-22-2010, 02:30 AM
I used to, but it does make it worse with the weeds as it scalps down to the dirt,
also nowadays I prefer holding the trimmer cradled upside down because it's easier
but that did take time, I found the 45° was easier to do early on.

Here's a picture of a 45° edge from 5 years ago, oh and you might notice the absence of stripes,
I caught hell for both the edge and that here but personally I still think it looked good.

dgw
06-22-2010, 03:06 AM
I used to, but it does make it worse with the weeds as it scalps down to the dirt,
also nowadays I prefer holding the trimmer cradled upside down because it's easier
but that did take time, I found the 45° was easier to do early on.

Here's a picture of a 45° edge from 5 years ago, oh and you might notice the absence of stripes,
I caught hell for both the edge and that here but personally I still think it looked good.

yes , if you see brown weeds will shortly follow at a 45

to pull it off successfully you have to be a master of the string trimmer

ACA L&L
06-22-2010, 03:40 AM
If your going to do a 45 you have to also have a 90 to separate the grass form the concrete edge. doing just a 45 looks bad as all heck, and you will have a nice even line of weeds growing in the bald areas. personally the customer may not know that they even want the 90 until you actually do it for them, once they see how nice and clean it looks they will always want it........I dont usually see the 45 scalp around here unless its a newbie, or a young one out there that has no idea what hes doing. alot more work involved by not doing the 90, as you will spraying for weeds all summer long.

dgw
06-22-2010, 03:47 AM
it might be closer to 65, i dont know

but i dont have to go over it twice, would never waste the steps

i can hit the edge and put it at an angle just right without causing conditions that would promote weeds

i dont do it on walks, only beds

and it comes in handy on those beds that the mower doesnt cut over

i hold the trimmer different than anyone ive seen in order to accomplish this

i hold it straight up and down, but not flipped, hold it against my self and walk backwards

i will post pics tommorrow

zo6
06-22-2010, 05:37 AM
I hold the trimmer upside down sown string is vert. Along beds, if you do the 65 it ends up getting weedy along edges of lawn, although i do the 65 for the people who wouldnt even notice if i did anything.

zo6
06-22-2010, 05:41 AM
i don't trim at angles. I don't care for the manufactured look of stripes, edges, etc. So i try to leave a more natural appearance by "blending without disturbing". I will use shears for touch-up if necessary. Does that make sense?

no offence, i dont what its like down there, but here, the stripes and edgeing are the only selling points we have, i tell people to look at the lawns that arent striped and say " do you really want your lawn to look like that?"

93Chevy
06-22-2010, 08:12 AM
I 90 all my sidewalks, except for one property where I 45 the walks. Beds with edges I 90, and beds with no edges, I either let the mower do the work, or 45.

macgyver_GA
06-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I 90 everything. Beds, streets, sidewalks. But all my lawns are bermuda and if you don't edge every week your beds, drives, walks, etc will be full of bermuda before you know it. I usually edge the beds with a string trimmer and any hard surface with a bladed edger.

I picked up a few of my accounts from a group of neighbors in a cul-de-sac that had some idiot who's idea of edging was to scalp down (HORIZONTALLY) the grass along the edges. The guy also striped lawns...but they looked like drunken stripes. I finally picked up his last customer at the end of last season after he decided to change the dollar amount on her check from $75 to $175.
Posted via Mobile Device

dgw
06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I 90 everything. Beds, streets, sidewalks. But all my lawns are bermuda and if you don't edge every week your beds, drives, walks, etc will be full of bermuda before you know it. I usually edge the beds with a string trimmer and any hard surface with a bladed edger.

I picked up a few of my accounts from a group of neighbors in a cul-de-sac that had some idiot who's idea of edging was to scalp down (HORIZONTALLY) the grass along the edges. The guy also striped lawns...but they looked like drunken stripes. I finally picked up his last customer at the end of last season after he decided to change the dollar amount on her check from $75 to $175.
Posted via Mobile Device

tons of guys around here "edge" like that , it looks terrible and causes weeds

i see it on curb lines more

GravelyGuy
06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Looks like a major hack job to me. Causes weed problems:rolleyes:

dwost
06-22-2010, 10:38 PM
I personally don't like that look either. I'm a 90 fan myself :)

ShooterK2
06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Almost all Bermuda lawns here. I'll edge weekly with a stick edger on curbs/drives/walks, and I also do a SLIGHT 45. What I mean is this: Most times the turf is a couple inches or more higher than the hard surface. So, after edging, I take the string trimmer and go down the edge, barley taking any off. You usually can't even notice that a trimmer was used, but it just gets rid of the straglers that the mower may leave at the very edge. I DO NOT SCALP!! Not even close!

For beds, it's a 90 with a string trimmer to make an ATTEMPT to keep the Bermuda out!! Yes, it leaves a small gap, but it's done weekly and I don't have any weed problems with this method. The gap is what helps keep the grass out of the bed.

zo6
06-23-2010, 01:11 AM
i 90 everything. Beds, streets, sidewalks. But all my lawns are bermuda and if you don't edge every week your beds, drives, walks, etc will be full of bermuda before you know it. I usually edge the beds with a string trimmer and any hard surface with a bladed edger.

I picked up a few of my accounts from a group of neighbors in a cul-de-sac that had some idiot who's idea of edging was to scalp down (horizontally) the grass along the edges. The guy also striped lawns...but they looked like drunken stripes. I finally picked up his last customer at the end of last season after he decided to change the dollar amount on her check from $75 to $175.
posted via mobile device

are you serious, the guy changed the amount on he check???? Thats the first time i heard of that kinda scum bag move. Wow

Dave does lawns
06-23-2010, 01:51 AM
If your edging beds at a 90, how is it dirt is not flying all over the place?

93Chevy
06-23-2010, 07:34 AM
If your edging beds at a 90, how is it dirt is not flying all over the place?

You just lightly "scrape" the grass off the bed edge. Don't ram the trimmer into the dirt. You're just cleaning the edge.

yardmanlee
06-23-2010, 07:43 AM
we 90 everything, I think it looks more manicured

ShooterK2
06-23-2010, 08:47 AM
All beds around here have some kind of hard edge anyway, so I just 90 around that. If there was no hard edge, like some I see on here, the Bermuda would be all in that bed in no time. It still creeps in, even with curbing. By doing a 90 around the hard edge, I'm just providing one more line of defense. A little dirt may fly, but not any worse than when you use the blade edger.
Posted via Mobile Device

macgyver_GA
06-23-2010, 10:07 AM
All beds around here have some kind of hard edge anyway, so I just 90 around that. If there was no hard edge, like some I see on here, the Bermuda would be all in that bed in no time. It still creeps in, even with curbing. By doing a 90 around the hard edge, I'm just providing one more line of defense. A little dirt may fly, but not any worse than when you use the blade edger.
Posted via Mobile Device

In my personal yard I have a 4-5" deep trench around all my beds. It definitely helps but the bermuda still creeps. I'm usually having to spray roundup here and there on some of the runners that get by every few weeks. True, a little dirt flies but if you are careful it keeps cleanup to a minimum. I usually walk around the beds with the blower and disperse anything that may have gotten into the grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
In my personal yard I have a 4-5" deep trench around all my beds. It definitely helps but the bermuda still creeps. I'm usually having to spray roundup here and there on some of the runners that get by every few weeks. True, a little dirt flies but if you are careful it keeps cleanup to a minimum. I usually walk around the beds with the blower and disperse anything that may have gotten into the grass.Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly. I do this before I mow. I'll blow out all edges, as well as the beds (unless they're mulch, cuz it'll fly everywhere) and hard surfaces, then mow and bag. Done, and always looks nice and clean.

FastMan
06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
I've been doing it for years.