PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy (Exmark 21")

Heintooga
06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
I was at my favorite Snapper dealer today and they'd just put a new Exmark Commercial 21 out. Since I have a thing for commercial 21's and there's no independent Toro dealers near enough I just had to bring it home. Some day I may get bored enough to do a detailed comparison of the Honda, Snapper and Exmark commercials but I doubt it will happen.

sjessen
06-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Did you get the mower at Powell Power? Let us know how it mulches. I've read good and bad things about this unit.

Heintooga
06-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Did you get the mower at Powell Power? Let us know how it mulches. I've read good and bad things about this unit.

Yes, it came from Powell Power. I mulch only so I'm gonna have to do a rain dance to get enough growth to test it. When I get enough use I'll post a comparison with the Snapper, Honda and Exmark commercial units.
I considered the good and bad we've read so I closely went over it since it's the 2010 design. I believe Exmark listened to the users when they came out with this one. I was particularly impressed with the cover under the deck to keep the drive train and engine clean from clippings.

sfddelta1
06-22-2010, 12:00 AM
did you go with the bbc or no?

i two john deere's that we bought the last year they made a bbc and i have been holding out for them to come out with a new one but its looking like i am going to have to purcahse a atleast one new one this year.

I am leaning towards honda but my local dealer only works on the brands he sells so i might be getting a exmark. I really like the 26 metro but i dont know if its work the extra money

E

sjessen
06-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Yes, it came from Powell Power. I mulch only so I'm gonna have to do a rain dance to get enough growth to test it. When I get enough use I'll post a comparison with the Snapper, Honda and Exmark commercial units.
I considered the good and bad we've read so I closely went over it since it's the 2010 design. I believe Exmark listened to the users when they came out with this one. I was particularly impressed with the cover under the deck to keep the drive train and engine clean from clippings.

Thanks. Will wait for your review.

sjessen
06-22-2010, 12:02 AM

i two john deere's that we bought the last year they made a bbc and i have been holding out for them to come out with a new one but its looking like i am going to have to purcahse a atleast one new one this year.

I am leaning towards honda but my local dealer only works on the brands he sells so i might be getting a exmark. I really like the 26 metro but i dont know if its work the extra money

E

I may be completely wrong but think Exmark may remake the 26 metro using the concept of the new 21.

5oon3r_L33t
06-22-2010, 04:36 AM
I bought the new Exmark 21" design this year. I got the first one my dealer sold. I love the Kawasaki KAI. I had a couple of issues with the belt coming off in tall grass, which wasn't a big deal. My dealer called me a few days ago telling me they had some upgrades to install. I took it in and they added 1) a plate to keep grass from getting into the belt area, 2) a guide to keep the belt aligned and, 3) a new fuel tank. The belt issues were real minor but I could see why they did the update. In addition, the updates were done at no charge. I gotta say I love the fact that they must be listening to their customers and getting any problems taken care of immediately.

Heintooga
06-22-2010, 06:39 PM

I got the only one they had and it doesn't have the BBC but I would have bought it with or without. I seldom bag and as easy as the new engines are to start I have no real need for the BBC. They had a Metro 26 two years ago and when I went back to get it was gone so I got the Snapper/Kaw. instead. From what I've read about the Metro's I'm glad it worked out. If they do a 26 on the new 21 design I may have to have one of those too.

Roger
06-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I bought the new Exmark 21" design this year. I got the first one my dealer sold. ...

What do you think of the single speed transmission? Is the belt-slip method of ground speed control practical? Or, do you always run it at maximum ground speed?

I want to keep options open, but the ground drive leaves me shaking my head. Tell us what YOU think, YOUR experiences. Do you have any slopes on your properties? If so, how does it work on those slopes?

5oon3r_L33t
06-23-2010, 04:17 AM
I do not have the BBC. The transmission is "variable speed" up to 4.2 mph I believe. With proper adjustment it will go faster than you can walk. I have one client with about a 30 degree slope with tall fescue. Of course, I mow across the slope, not up and down. I do wish i had a 36" or a 42" for this job but she gets the job done. I've heard some people mention with damp grass the deck gets clogged. I had a little bit of a problem with that today so I changed the height from 1 1/2" to 2" (we had a lot of rain last week, more than usual growth) and that worked out fine. I mulch all of my properties and as long as you are only taking off 1/3 of the grass blade you should be fine.

rider77
06-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Hi Roger, I recently purchased the Exmark Commerical 21. I did 6 months of research looking for a commercial 21 to replace an older 21 John Deere 14SB. I had read some negative comments online about the machine but thought that, this can not be the case, being that Exmark makes some of the best commercial equipment I run a 48" Turf Tracer, excellent machine. I ordered the Exmark 21 with the KAI engine and the BBC. Mower came in, looked very well made. The wheel desing and height adjustment was excellent. Engine ran like every other Kawasaki I have run in the past. Used it on 3 yards with very poor results. Cutting dry grass on an 88 deg day, cutting about 1 1/2 off, the mower deck would clog with clippings. Never bog the engine enough to stall the mower, but delivered a very poor cut. Upon turning off the engine, a hugh amount of grass was now dumped onto the lawn. The transmission does not work well at all. When you first pull the bail, the mower will jump forward, then start to run at a constant speed. We have sloped terrain here in VA, when ever you try to go straight up the hills, the bail needs to be pulled all the way into the handle, and the mower will barely move up the slope. The mower weighs almost 120lbs. The wheels are a nice design, but being they are rubber wheels, they bounce on the lawns. I was able to return the Exmark to my dealer for a full refund. I now am running a new Honda. excellent machine, half the cost. Exmark missed the mark on this machine in so many areas. I would strongly recommend any of the Honda mowers. By the way, I see you are from McMurray, Pa. I grew up there. By chance do you go to Hope Lutheran Church? Best of luck to you. Take Care.