PDA

View Full Version : Old 21'' mower ready for another 20 years of service?

Dan_DeSantis
06-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Just got my favorite push mower back with a new engine, it already put in a good 20 years of commercial duty. thought I would share some pics.

bare spot
06-21-2010, 10:28 PM
20 yrs., an old lawnboy? could see why you like it, looks like good mower. treat it to some new wheels?

Dan_DeSantis
06-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Those wheels are way too small going to put a set of 8inch wheels on as soon as we get a day of rain.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-21-2010, 11:12 PM
That's Cool! I wished I'd bought a couple of them way back when. I remember the first serious commercial duty I saw was at the Vicksburg National Military Park with them tied to ropes mowing long steep slopes. I ran across a couple of them at garage sales for less than $200. Oh well, nice motor swap on a nice mower!

mowerbrad
06-21-2010, 11:14 PM
They don't make 21" mowers like they used to.

Dan_DeSantis
06-22-2010, 08:58 PM
i gave this machine to my helper today he doesn't even want to touch the proline anymore!

lawnboyman
07-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Nice! I guess the old 2 cycle engine wore out? Ive got somewhat of the same model, need a deck though. The engine is being rebuild. I have a bunch of other stagger wheel models though.

What model number is that?

gebby
07-07-2010, 11:23 PM
I know the feeling. I have a self propelled Ariens that is almost 16 years old. I also have a brand new replacement just like it that I bought at a auction for 100.00. I also have a self propelled gravely that is a year old. I have 2 new replacemnt motors for the old Ariens. It still starts on the first or second pull. Runs and cuts as good as new. I just can't retire it for some reason. It is the only small mower I use. It's like me old but still going.

Merkava_4
07-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Looks like the gas tank is bleeding. :eek:

Capemay Eagle
07-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Brings back memories from the middle 80's pushing the old lawnboy 2 cycle 8400's for 8-10 hours a day, I hated them mowers, but you could not kill em. I liked my old snappers better.

Richard Martin
07-08-2010, 06:15 AM
You'll be ready to throw that Briggs in the river long before 20 years is up. Shoulda gotten a Honda GCV 160 with a choke.

BINKY1902
07-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I actually love the small Briggs engines. I had an old Murray 20" with a 3hp Briggs on it. My yard is about 3/4 acre. I bought it new in 1998 for $99 at walmart. I mowed my yard every week of the mowing season for eight seasons, and never done anything to it except change the oil, which I only remember doing four or five times. I would even get out in the field beside my house and clear 3ft tall grass with it. I have no idea how that mower made it, I didn't even keep it under a shed during the winter. I remember when it snowed and you couldn't even see it one winter. One time the carb started acting up and revving up and down. I had a gas can full of 111 octane airplane fuel that I used in my race car, so I filled it up with it and it started spitting and backfiring. A huge puff of smoke came out, then it started purring like a kitten. When I started my business, it was time to get it out of the way. I put it out by the trash can at the end of the driveway. In the middle of the night, I heard it fire up. Somebody had stopped to check it out and decided to see if it would crank! They took it with them and may still be using it. Sorry for going on and on it the thread just brought back a memory. The point is when I bought a new pushmower for my business I figured the Briggs would do just fine.

TLS
07-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Never saw a LB with side discharge. Only ever see staggered and rear. I like it!

Mowingman
07-09-2010, 11:36 PM
I have a 1953 Huffy 18" push mower. It still has the original B&S engine on it, and, the mower still runs good. Engine has only had one rebuild in it's entire life. I used the mower to mow neighbors lawns in the late 50's when I was a kid. Then, used it during the 80's and 90's for my mowing business. They sure don't make them like they used to.
I may crank it up this weekend, just for fun.

1993lx172
07-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Since everyone else is chiming in with thier old push mowers, I guess I'll join in. I have a 1966 Western Auto Supply Co. Wizard four star 22". It runs the original spark plug (as far as we know) and the original blade that I use as my main trim mower.

Its old, its loud, it puts out some oil smoke now and then but until it's completely dead it stays in my line up.

Dan_DeSantis
07-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the replies, from what i found on the net the model # is 6279. The briggs engine is going good so far plenty of power, i actually have a honda engine on a troy build deck that we bought last summer, the engine works great but the deck and handles didn't last long.I believe my grandfather bought the machine new in 87 because he saw the public works were running them.

Before that my grandfather was running these machines. The engine runs great just have to work on the height adjusters when I get some free time.

Richard Martin
07-10-2010, 04:48 AM
My issue with the Briggs engines isn't with the actual engine it's self. It's with their worthless chokeless carbs and the plastic air cleaner housing that houses the primer. I have a 1983 Briggs 8 HP engine that is very, very sturdy. I'm nowhere near ready to give it up. The plastic aircleaner housing on newer engines warps after just a year or two and when it does it usually causes problems with the primer. The first fix usually involves stacking 2 primer gaskets together just to get a seal and then you have to replace the housing. It gets a little old after a while and I'd sooner just buy an engine that doesn't have these types of problems.

lawnboy dan
07-10-2010, 07:36 PM
i agree with richard -i would have sprung for a better engine. - have only one briggs in my fleet of over 40 21,s. they just arnt worth a crap now .