PDA

View Full Version : is 21 inch commercial mowers ok?

Lamonicaslawnservice
06-21-2010, 09:28 PM
i have alot of customers last year asking me about tire tracks in the lawn from the zero turn. so this year i started using 21 and 22 inch commercial walk behinds and they love it. i feel its a better cut myself. the yards are smaller all residential and i dont have a crazy amount. besides getting laughed at on the street my customers love it and i have gotten more compliments. does anyone think this is out of line or ok? opinions will help alot. i cut my costs by alot also

Yard-Dawg
06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
i have alot of customers last year asking me about tire tracks in the lawn from the zero turn. so this year i started using 21 and 22 inch commercial walk behinds and they love it. i feel its a better cut myself. the yards are smaller all residential and i dont have a crazy amount. besides getting laughed at on the street my customers love it and i have gotten more compliments. does anyone think this is out of line or ok? opinions will help alot. i cut my costs by alot also

It does not matter what we think what matters is what your customers think/say. I have an Ariens PRO-21 and it is great. I keep my customers happy with my 21" mowers and they tell their friends about my business which ends up on my bottom line! "Business in a nutshell"

Heintooga
06-21-2010, 09:39 PM
You won't find many 21" fans on a site like this but don't let that sway you. For quality of cut the smaller the mower the better. Even a smaller wheel base helps. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find a high quality 21" that doesn't leave tire lines because of the higher weight of commercial units.

Lamonicaslawnservice
06-21-2010, 09:49 PM
oh i know that. Im not low balling. Im still licensed. I still do everything im supposed to i just try to make my customers happy. I had all the zero turns but the people were right about the tire tracks. I guess I didnt notice it until starting to use the 21 inch. This centipede grass doest hold up well with zero turns and i guess my customer base doesnt have large enough lawns that I need to use the bigger deck. I was just putting it out there. Thanks for the advice guys

derbydon
06-21-2010, 09:50 PM
I won't put a z-turn on a front yard unless it's ginormous (that's a word cause I just used it). Only thing I'm not sure I agree with is how you can cut cost with a smaller mower. Smallest z-turn I know of is 48", so you're making 2 1/2 times the number of passes with a 21" lawn mower. Why not invest in a 36" walkie instead?

Lamonicaslawnservice
06-21-2010, 09:56 PM
well just gas not by much i guess. I get in and out even with the walk behind so another 20 minutes isnt that big of a deal. I have the same amount of lawns so im not losing out on picking up more. I looked at a few larger walk behinds but they seem pretty heavy also. Do they leave marks? seems alot different to operate. Is it easy when you get the hang of it?

MileHigh
06-21-2010, 09:58 PM
For quality of cut the smaller the mower the better. Even a smaller wheel base helps.

This is the biggest pile of crap advice I have ever heard hear on lawnsite.

There is not one 21" mower made on the face of this planet that can cut nicer than my tthp or lazer buddy. :dizzy:

T.E.
06-21-2010, 10:11 PM
If you can get a quality cut with a larger mower more power to you. I can and do. I do have a few that I can't use anything other than a 21" on for one reason or another. I guess you have to use what works.

Just my .02

Lamonicaslawnservice
06-21-2010, 10:17 PM
the lazer is a very good mower. Its also very heavy which is why i couldnt use it. I dont need something that big anyway. they do cut good though. I have seen nice stripes with them

BINKY1902
06-21-2010, 10:53 PM
A 21" mower stays with the contour of the land better than wide mowers, I think that's what he's saying. When you have a more narrow cut, you stay with the lines of the yard better. He's not saying a 21" is better than a commercial 48" walk behind. It's just hard to beat a nice small push mower as far as looks go. Grass is more even with a push mower, because there is no overhang on slopes, small mounds, etc. And yes, the shorter wheelbase keeps the contour of the land better. With my ZTR or big walk behind, yes the cut is pretty. But it evens itself out and some grass may actually be 3" from the ground and some 3 1/2" high after being cut. This is because a wide deck cannot make up for small mounds, difference in elevation, etc. There are customers out there who only want 21's on their yard. I hate using my 22 but it has it's purpose. I know I have some yards with slopes I'd hurt myself trying to use a 600lb walk behind on.

Keith
06-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I shunned 21" mowers for many years. I could mow everything with a 60" rider! Even if it was a postage stamp lawn. Even if I was partially in the neighbors yard when I went down the sides. Even if it was too small to turn around in. Well, with more small areas to mow, I broke down and bought a Toro Heavy-Duty 21" last week ;)

ShooterK2
06-22-2010, 12:24 AM
This is the biggest pile of crap advice I have ever heard hear on lawnsite.

There is not one 21" mower made on the face of this planet that can cut nicer than my tthp or lazer buddy. :dizzy:

Really? So your mower never scalps and doesn't leave turn-around marks, even on wet grass? I follows every contour of the ground perfectly, even on bumpy/uneven ground?

It's a fact that, the wider the deck, the more likely it is to scalp. And, the heavier the machine, the more likely it is to leave unwanted marks in the turf, especially on wet/muddy/mushy ground. Do you disagree with these statements?

I totally agree with Heintooga. A 21" may not be practical for a lot of yards, due to time, size, etc. but that doesn't mean that it leaves a worse cut. I love using my Honda, and do so every chance I get. It's just that, the busier I get, the less time I can afford to spend at each property, thus the bigger mowers. But I wish every place could look as if I had cut it with my 21".

Capitollawncare
06-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I have not found a better 21" mower than the Toro Proline. With proper maintenance they run forever.