PDA

View Full Version : Idealistic Mower

MowDesign
06-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Good evening Lawnsite!

I am here to get opinions on ideal components of a mower from buying factory direct vs dealers, all the way to which spindles should be used. I am currently working on a revolutionary design of which I'd prefer not to give much detail about yet, and I would appreciate input from current LCOs. I am a former landscaper but feel my skills are better used on the design front. All input is welcome except needless comments such as "a mower that I don't have to use" or the like.

Thank you all!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
06-22-2010, 12:12 AM
suspensions seat, greaseless pulleys, air conditioning, AC plug for Ipod and or Cell phone charger, cup holder, discharge chute blocker ( built onto the mower, not as an option.) Hope this gets you in the right direction...

MowDesign
06-22-2010, 12:35 AM
How would the air conditioning work? Seems like it would pull too much power. I really appreciate the ideas; exactly the kind of posts I'm looking for!

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

MS_SURVEYOR
06-22-2010, 12:39 AM
How would the air conditioning work? Seems like it would pull too much power. I really appreciate the ideas; exactly the kind of posts I'm looking for!

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

A container with dry ice and a low voltage fan! :rolleyes:

redmax fan
06-22-2010, 12:53 AM
stock issue / built in shoot blocker as it should be a mandatory safety device in first place

jhawk60
06-22-2010, 12:56 AM

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

He didn't mean air conditioning, he meant an alternating current outletfor charging phones and such.

jhawk60
06-22-2010, 01:39 AM
LOL, I skipped right over the part where he did say air conditioning.

MowDesign
06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Good stuff guys! I am curious about the mandatory dischage chute. I would have thought most would have wanted the option to lift it for gates.

Another thing I was thinking was having exclusively kawisaki engines on my designs. Good choice, or should I allow kohler in too?
Posted via Mobile Device

jhawk60
06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
A chute blocker is what they are talking about, otherwise known as an OCDC (operator controlled discharge chute). To close off the discharge so you don't throw clipping into beds or towards vehicles or people.

SchnabelLawnCare
06-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Redmax fan sounded like he meant chute. But anyways, greaseable spindles, floating deck, factory direct, but with rotary and stens equivelants.... That's all I've got for now. I like kawi's too, btw.
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
There is ways to heat/cool a small area of open space, so it would be nice if the operator area on a mower could be kept cool, but it would take alot of power for this Im assuming? Another thing I hate is on bigger mower decks, if you get it on anything but level ground, it will leave high and low spots and you have to mow it again at another direction just to get it all mowed. and maybe another way to turn the blades instead of pullies, belts, maybe hydraulic or little electric motors?

mowerman11
06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
I also want air conditioning. I would pay top dollar. Grass hopper allready has a cab enclosed front mount mower
Posted via Mobile Device

TheGoat
06-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Carbon fiber decks. lighter= faster and lower fuel consumption.

All_Toro_4ME
06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
If its a midmount deck, make it where the deck can be removed easier or have it flip up.

SchnabelLawnCare
06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
I also want air conditioning. I would pay top dollar. Grass hopper allready has a cab enclosed front mount mower
Posted via Mobile Device

We wouldn't want the trimming guys to get jealous. :laugh:

SchnabelLawnCare
06-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Carbon fiber decks. lighter= faster and lower fuel consumption.

Sounds pricey, but that would be a cool idea. Maybe aluminum?

TheGoat
06-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Sounds pricey, but that would be a cool idea. Maybe aluminum?
CF has a better strength to weight ratio, might also deaden noise a bit...

SchnabelLawnCare
06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
CF has a better strength to weight ratio, might also deaden noise a bit...

Well then why not make the whole mower out of CF?

MowDesign
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Great ideas guys! I appreciate the feedback.

TheGoat
06-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Well then why not make the whole mower out of CF?

expense.

large one piece parts have a good roi but the r&d for smaller parts would make them too expensive to market.

Frames are possible but are another order of magnitude more complicated.

lawnboy852
06-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Carbon fiber is in no way suited for a mower deck. Although it is extremely strong, it is in no way impact resistant. Catch the deck on ANYTHING and it will crack and snap, and it would be extremely easy to puncture it. From experience, carbon fiber is not what these machines need. I am a rower, and all of our racing shells are a carbon fiber fiberglass sandwich, and they are some of the most fragile things you could ever touch. They are extremely stiff laterally, but near zero puncture resistance and any uneven loading of the structure will cause failure.

Look at aluminum, not CF if you are looking to drop weight but maintain useability.

MowDesign
06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
CF will be, unfortunately, out of the question for expense and strength reasons. Like the above poster says, it won't hold up to the hell that LCOs give them day in and day out. I'd like to use some aluminum where I can to lighten it up a bit. Still in the design stage now...
Posted via Mobile Device

TheGoat
06-22-2010, 05:38 PM
they make wheels out of it.

lawnboy852
06-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Wheels for what?

MowDesign
06-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I think he is saying to use carbon fiber wheels on the mower. More expensive than what it's worth IMO, but that could be an option if there is significant interest.

Keep 'em coming!
Posted via Mobile Device

twobroslawns
06-22-2010, 08:30 PM
maybe a built in trimmer rack? We don't run ZTR's so I'm not sure what you guys want but i wish we had those on our mowers.

For airconditioning, how bout make a mount for a blower or just a blower-like fan to blow on the operator?

Bumpmaster
06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
How about a custom made trimmer that was operated by a joy stick from the operator's position. Say a thumb or two thumb joystick like for playstation that would alow you to move the trimmer head any way needed.

How about moving the engine to where the seat is and move the seat over the deck and have your feet hang over the front of the mower to make the machine more compact.

TheGoat
06-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I think he is saying to use carbon fiber wheels on the mower. More expensive than what it's worth IMO, but that could be an option if there is significant interest.

Keep 'em coming!
Posted via Mobile Device

No, I'm saying they make race motorcycle and car wheels from carbon fiber/kevlar weaves.

it's not a new tech, but one that is not applied in a lot of places

dbear
06-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, if the sky's the limit:
1. Hydrogen fuel cell powered
2. Remotely operated (like a Predator) from an enclosed trailer with a comfy chair, AC, and a fridge.:drinkup:

Actually, the hydrogen fuel cell thing might be interesting.

cherharr503
06-22-2010, 10:44 PM
i think that you could put trimmer heads on both sides of the mower and be able to turn each one on or off so that i dont need to go back and trim by fences, i like the fan idea how about leather seats and a luxury package, im shure a lot of people would buy that. oh also, different colored paintjobs

93Chevy
06-22-2010, 10:56 PM
How about a deck like the Scag Velocity that does well in thick and/or wet grass.

Maybe a lighter, easier to put on/take off spindle driven bagging system. The vac units are so heavy and awkward.

lawnboy852
06-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Carbonfiber RACE wheels are in so many ways so different than our application. They have a near constant load, and its a uniform even track they are used on, NOT a bumpy lawn. Run a carbon fiber wheel through some potholes, they would crack like egg shells

Ultra05
06-22-2010, 11:46 PM
How bout an electric sliding deck that will come out two feet or so on the left side and get under those arborvitae! Oh and your ultimate mower should have at least two beer holders...

lawnboy852
06-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Realistically, I think figuring out the Most compact mower you can, while still allowing easy maintenance of the machine is important. Also finding the best center of gravity, both vertically and horizontally, sometimes machines just have too much engine behind or deck in front of the drive wheels, and it causes some poor handling issues in my opinion. Cupholder is actually pretty nice I would say.

other conveniences like the standard OCDC, a trimmer rack, a built in jack, etc would be nice to have stock.

SchnabelLawnCare
06-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Why are we all so bent up on the carbon fiber guys?

MikeKle
06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
ANY use of carbon fiber on a mower would raise the price so much, no one could afford them. and CF is mainly used in high performance items, exotic super cars, race cars, high performance parts where weight is a major concern, not really applicable on AG or commercial type machines like we use. aluminum may be OK, but really, how important is overall weight on a commercial mower? Not a big concern of mine. I also think tracked mowers may be a good thing, but apparently some mower companies are already coming out with some mowers with tracks soon, say goodbye to flat tires, stuck machines, and ruts in the yards!

MikeKle
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
I also would love to see a easier way to raise the decks on WBs instead of those 4 pins, sort of like the new ferris ones, that you just crank one knob to raise or lower it, or maybe electric? The battery is already there, may as well use it for all you can.

lawnboy852
06-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree with Mike, easier adjustment all the way! the pin system just seems outdated, and its a pita sometimes. What about putting a little bubble level gauge mounted right to the deck, one in front and one on each side?

DitchDr
06-23-2010, 04:17 PM
A/C, enclosed cab, AM/FM/CD/DVD with fold down screen, built in trimmer, builting in edger, built in blower, able to fit in a 36in gate, also will need a blender for making your cocktails while "working", lest we not forget needs to be DOT approved so you dont even need a truck anymore, just hop in the mower and drive to work..

wifi, and GPS would be nice also, if you can fit it in.