PDA

View Full Version : Catching clippings... Weighing my options.

mhaley927
06-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Here's the background info:

Scag 48" (ONLY 19HP) velocity deck
14 residential accounts, none over 1 acre
several are lightly-heavily wooded
**I dont do fall or spring cleanups because I'm away at school** (I sub them out)

I want/kind of need something to collect clippings and currently have nothing. Taking into account my light load of accounts, the fact that I never do "cleanups" and my mower is only a 19HP that I can hear struggle on some of the steeper hills I do, I am leaning towards a Scag made sider bagger. Light weight, easy to put on/take off and most importantly, its affordable. I have been discouraged from a side catcher mostly because it's primative, inconvenient, etc.

Would anyone suggest (1) a different brand side catcher (maybe more durable or affordable) or (2) a vacuum system. If you think I need a vacuum catcher CONVINCE ME!

Any opinions and advice are apreciated!

ShooterK2
06-22-2010, 12:36 AM
I can't compare to a vacuum catcher, but my side catcher works great. I bag a lot of grass, and I cannot see the need to spend any more money on something that just catches grass clippings. It's the simplest thing in the world. No need for fancy accelerators or extra pullies/belts.......that's just more stuff to break. A side catcher is so simple. Easy to take off/put on, and can also (as I have recently found out) be used in the field as a trash can..... :-)

By the way, I have the Grasspacker, but I'm sure many others do the job just as well. I chose this one because I wanted a plastic one. It's lightweight, won't ever rust, doesn't bend or dent when I hit something with it, and I can throw it in my truck or trailer without fear of harming it in any way.

fairbankslawnkingllc
06-22-2010, 12:45 AM
I have both a side catcher and a vacuum bagger on different mowers. My 48" scag w/b has the scag cloth side catcher and it works well. It defiantly doesn't pack the bags like the vacuum does but like you said it doesn't take any power away. Some of my gates are exactly 48" wide and the bagging plate comes off very easy to squeeze it into the yard.

StihlBR600
07-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I have about 20 accounts and im looking at getting into fall cleanup but i dont have the money to buy a vacuum system for my mower. How much does one of these plastic grass catchers cost? and how often do you have to empty when doing leaves?

grasshog08
07-12-2010, 08:51 PM
mulch mulch mulch.......oh you want that yard bagged? thats extra

georgiagrass
07-13-2010, 03:07 AM
If you want to do it right, get a Walker or a Navigator.