PDA

View Full Version : How far is too far?

JMiller08
06-21-2010, 10:47 PM
So i have asked this question before with little response. Im thinking of moving to a very rural area about 40 miles from my current location. Is this a crazy idea to still service my neighborhood that i live in currently or should i start fresh down there? It is a rural area, id say within a ten mile radius there may be 50k people. So whats your guys opinions? And how far are your furthest accounts you service?

BINKY1902
06-21-2010, 11:12 PM
If you have a full day work there sure. If it's worth the trip I don't see why not. I have one place 30-plus miles away but it's a full day work so I go for it.

ajslands
06-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Well you have to figure in your costs. Gas, equipment, time that you could be doing something else, etc... And then subtract that from what your making X # of miles away. My furthest acct is about 15 miles out. And
it's 3 motels owned by the same person. And their all right next to each other.
Posted via Mobile Device

JMiller08
06-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Well im solo and if i can clear at least 350 a day up here i think it will be worth it. Since i have very low overhead due to having no employees i think it will be doable. When i get larger and go full time im going to look into getting an actual shop about half way between here and my new town so itll be the best of both worlds.

bigdodge150
06-21-2010, 11:33 PM
I like in backwoods i guess. I have maybe 50 poeple within a ten mile radius and I drive 30 miles to work every mornin. But on the mowin trip ill round up about 150 miles total and its not that bad I guess it is also the amount of drive time you have. I got lucky and was able to make a loop one atleast every 8-10 miles away and even a two sets of side by sides ( hard to find around here). Id keep them the drive wont get to ya after a while

topsites
06-22-2010, 12:18 AM
400 miles one way is too far.

Well you have to figure in your costs. Gas, equipment, time that you could be doing something else, etc... And then subtract that from what your making X # of miles away. My furthest acct is about 15 miles out. And
it's 3 motels owned by the same person. And their all right next to each other.
Posted via Mobile Device

True, so long the profit pays the expenses, gtg.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-22-2010, 12:29 AM
i say yeah if it is one full day of work. if you have to go back there every day well then i dont know.

topsites
06-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Come to think of it...

If you're having to ask, chances are it's too far.

ajslands
06-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Come to think of it...

If you're having to ask, chances are it's too far.

:laughing:

Yup
Posted via Mobile Device

MOturkey
06-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Forty miles is not all that far if you have a substantial amount of work there. I'd keep the accounts, then if you build your business in your new location to the point the old accounts are a hassle, give them up.

MOturkey
06-22-2010, 08:25 AM
It is a rural area, id say within a ten mile radius there may be 50k people.

You call that rural? In a 10 mile radius of the town I do most of my mowing in, the population might be 10,000. From where I live, perhaps 20,000.

head_start
06-22-2010, 08:31 AM
i have found it is a little harder to find work in a rural area, becuase i live in one. all i do is the landscaping, becuase the people here dont want to do it. providing a mowing service in a rural area is all most depressing as to how little mowing you will actually do. if you can justify driving up there, instead of working in the rural area, then go for it. if not, i think you will like the living experiance of the rural area better. rural=great life, but bad landscaping opertunites.

MikeKle
06-22-2010, 08:50 AM
A few years ago, one of my friends had a bank chain around here, and they wanted him to go to west virginia to do some there too, and we live in northern KY!!! He told them that was way too far, what were they thinking even asking that?

topsites
06-22-2010, 10:22 AM
This might be a good chance for you to set your service area's boundaries,
in my case there exist certain points past which I simply don't go.

As a rule, unless it's a big job but like I said, I just don't go past certain boundaries.

If it's 40 miles one way and for a regular $30-$40 job, no way.
It's going to cost that much just on the per mile cost of the truck and trailer,
a job 40 miles out would have to be worth at least $200.
And that might not be exact but what I'm saying is I do not go out of my way
for your everyday mow and blow (no offense).

unkownfl
06-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Its going to be a nightmare. I work about 10 miles from where I service and I absolutely hate it. Yea on paper it works but say I need to run home for something or it starts to rain and I have to finish up another day etc. it sucks. For you though it sounds like its not really a choice. Keep it and try to build some clients between both areas so if you need to finish up on lawn at your furthest point you can still have some in between to absorb some of the cost. You could rent a storage unit to put the trailer in for like 100 a month that would save you in gas if you have a few days worth of work out there. Personally I'd rent a storage unit out there and get at least 3 days worth of work there and don't even bother in your new part yet.

MikeKle
06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I have a customer that owns alot of rental properties and just bought 5 more houses in Cincinnati, OH, and these are the types of houses that sit high up above the road, and the front yards are steep as a mountain! They asked me if I could mow these, and I just had to laugh, and told her there is no way I could do it. I thought about it and wondered how they mow these types of properties anyway, there is lots of areas that have properties like this, so someone must do it? Most are so steep, you cant easily walk on them! These houses are about 20 miles from me too, so it was out of the question anyway. Unless she OK with paying about $200 per cut per house, then maybe I would find a way to do them?!!!

Lawn Pawn
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Personally I go no more than about five miles...... Limiting me to a population of less that 30k. So many hacks that will do anything for ten or fifteen bucks.

It just depends on your pricing, and level of ambition. Both of mine are fairly low. Eats up a lot of money chasing back and forth for NOTHING.

I make minimal money on everything I do, but very very seldom have to eat something that went bad.

JMiller08
06-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks for every ones comments. Im going to try and look at the house tommarow. I like the idea of having a full day or two of work here and then building clients there until i can just give up the ones up here. The home im looking at is a super deal to the point where it sits on three acres and is 44k dollars. Its small however it will only be me and the girlfriend and the 2 dogs. Whats making me want to make the move is my father just moved about 2 minutes down the street from where this house is. So we will see how everything goes the next few weeks!