PDA

View Full Version : Redmax Bump heads

lawnboy852
06-21-2010, 10:53 PM
So I love my redmax trimmer, but its time for some replacement parts! The bump spool part that protrudes from the head is worn down to almost nothing. This makes feeding new line very difficult. I have always bumped onto something hard with the head spinning because otherwise it doesnt seem to want to feed out line, but I realize that this is also causing pretty accelerated wear on the spool. Is there a different technique to this? Or are there other heads people prefer? Also wondering if I can buy just the spool, or if I will be dealing with the whole head assem, as recently Ive noticed manufacturers across all products are selling things as systems and assemblys rather than just parts. AKA more money for them and frustration for us, but that is neither here nor there. ..

Thanks

lawns Etc
06-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Oregon speedfeed.
Posted via Mobile Device

redmax fan
06-21-2010, 11:28 PM
ive ran rmax whips past 10 years doing around 100 accounts per week

- keep the top of spool and the inside of cap where it touches top of spool clean of dirt build up as dirt there makes it harder to pay out string

- once a week or more take of cap - remove spool and have without string on it - clean with water the spool / cap / inside of head . then spray them all with furniture polish and let dry in sun a while . also spray your reel of thread with the furniture polish . this technique makes everything glossier / slippery , which in turn allows the string to feed out of head easier

- when getting string outs a ***** look for something wood like landscape timbers or telephone poles etc to bump on as they wont wear down head as fast . also look for tar on cement like in the cement joints and bump on that ,
trees too

- when bumping on hard surface slow down head speed as the string shall pay out just as well or better , while there shall be less wear on head

* i thought up the furniture polish idea and alot of people scoff at it but i bet if try it it'll work . i cut a bunch of lengths of string then spray them all and let dry in sun so have ready

Sharpcut 1
06-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Oregon speedfeed.
Posted via Mobile Device

X2

put a Speedfeed head on there, you'll throw the Redmax head as far as you can!!

if your trimmer is a 24-26 cc Redmax, it can handle the bigger head, wich holds 20 feet of string. Takes less than 30 seconds to load, you don't even open the head.