PDA

View Full Version : Does an Hour Meter Read By 60 Min. Hours, Just Curious????

tommy bivens
06-21-2010, 11:30 PM
The reason i ask this question is, yesterday i was riding my honda 4 wheeler. It has a digital hour meter, and when i got on it to ride the meter read 556.2 didn't look at miles just hours. So, i took my daughter trail riding for no more than an hour and a half. When i got back for some reason i looked at the meter and it now reads 560.3, i know it didn't ride that long???? Anyone got the answer??? Please respond.Thanks.

Grubrunner
06-21-2010, 11:41 PM
6 minutes = 1/10th of an hour and would read 0.1
18 minutes = 3/10th of an hour and would read 0.3
30 minutes = 5/10th OR 1/2 of an hour and would read 0.5
60 minutes = 1 hour and would read 1.0

Hope this helps.

RDA
06-22-2010, 12:58 AM
The reason i ask this question is, yesterday i was riding my honda 4 wheeler. It has a digital hour meter, and when i got on it to ride the meter read 556.2 didn't look at miles just hours. So, i took my daughter trail riding for no more than an hour and a half. When i got back for some reason i looked at the meter and it now reads 560.3, i know it didn't ride that long???? Anyone got the answer??? Please respond.Thanks.

They read in hours (and 1/10ths of an hour) typically. Are you sure you didn't just read it wrong and it was 559.2 at the start and 560.3 when finished?

Or, did you leave the key in the running position also before or during the ride when you weren't actually riding? Some meters accumulate even when not running but when the key is in the running position.

Regards,

Rich

topsites
06-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Yeah...

If you leave the ignition on, the meter runs.

biggziff
06-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Yeah...

If you leave the ignition on, the meter runs.

Most that I've seen only run when the engine is running....they often use an oil pressure sensor as a trigger to turn on the meter.

topsites
06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Most that I've seen only run when the engine is running....they often use an oil pressure sensor as a trigger to turn on the meter.

That does kind of answer my question how some guys manage to put a thousand hours on a Z in a year.

It's a small electric motor connected to a set of gears, kind of like a watch, electricity turns it on.
Manufacturers are not going through all that trouble just to be sure it only turns when the engine is running,
maybe if it was a Porsche.

unkownfl
06-22-2010, 10:05 AM
It goes off the plug wire from what I've seen. For RPM and to know when the engine is on. On a higher end engine it runs of the cdi or ignition box.

STIHL GUY
06-22-2010, 10:48 AM
mine goes off the spark plug wire as well

soloscaperman
06-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Kohler goes by oil pressure. It only runs when the engines runs.

All manuals will state what yours does.

nathannc
06-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Are there any mowers where the hour meter only runs when the blades are on? It certainly appears that way with my Ferris.

tommy bivens
06-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the info, it sure helped lots!!!!!

Richard Martin
06-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Kohler goes by oil pressure. It only runs when the engines runs.

All manuals will state what yours does.

My Kohler 28 EFI uses a spark induction tach from TinyTach.

brucec32
06-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Am I reading this wrong? 560.3 minus 556.2 equals 4.1 miles traveled. Over 1.5 hours thats an average of 2.73 mph. That sounds well within reason to me.

Mickhippy
06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Are there any mowers where the hour meter only runs when the blades are on? It certainly appears that way with my Ferris.

My 04 Super Z was the same, "while blades are engaged."
I got approached by a large co' about some sub contract work for the city. He was going to pay by the hour metre. I got the metre changed over to "while engines running."
Didnt get any work so changed it back to not accumulate as many hours.

nathannc
06-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Am I reading this wrong? 560.3 minus 556.2 equals 4.1 miles traveled. Over 1.5 hours thats an average of 2.73 mph. That sounds well within reason to me.

I think the originator of this post believes that he has an hour meter not an odometer. Thus, the figures above are hours not miles traveled. His confusion stems from a ride with his daughter which he claims took no more than an 1 1/2 hours not the 4.1 hours as indicated by his hour meter. It would make more sense if it were an odometer from the information given or, as another poster said, he simply read the hour meter wrong.