PDA

View Full Version : Woods RM990 Mower ????

Synergy Ground
06-22-2010, 02:15 AM
I just purchased a used Woods RM990 mower. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on changing the blades. Theres not enough room for an impact wrench and socket, it appears the only way is to use an open end wrench. Any help would be great. Any other info/cautions you could provide about these mowers would also be helpful.

Thanks,

TD

Sammy
06-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Your 3 point hitch should lift it in the air high enough for you to use your impact gun.
Make sure you block it when you get it in the air.

Synergy Ground
06-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the help, but the blades are not bolted on as standard blades. This mower is a finish mower but has 2 blades per spindle. Similar to a Bush-hog. It appears the only way to remove the blades is with a 3/4 inch wrench and breaker bar. I was hoping for a short cut.
Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Todd D.

Huling
06-24-2010, 11:32 AM
TD- sorry can't help with the blade change, but I have been looking at the 990 for larger tracts and would be interested in how good it cuts. Blade tip speed is shown as 15,600 fpm vs. higher speed for a regular finish mower. I like it's heavy duty build. I would appreciate your comments.

Synergy Ground
06-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Huling,

Today was the first time we used the RM990. It performed very good behind our JD 5420. With 65 HP at the PTO it didnt hesitate a bit. We cut commercially and used this mower on one of our 25 acre sites of Florida Bahia at 2 weeks growth. I ran the tractor a little faster than is recommended and the cut was still good. It did not leave a "perfect" cut compared to our Super Z's but was still good. However, I was able to cut at a faster rate, more width, and better grass dispersement. Any ZTR would struggle in this grass, but the RM990 went through it great. Just for a test I ran it through some 3 month old weeds that were 3' and 4'. It knocked'em down and left a decent finish. The best way I can describe it is this. It will not leave a ZTR finish, but it will leave a nice appearance. I suspect with a more frequent mowing, new blades, and a slower speed this mower will leave a cut very close to ZTR quality. The main thing to consider is this. Being a rear discharge it only cuts the grass once. Therefore the clippings left behind are a little longer as they have not been shredded up. But, this is the reason it will mow over nearly anything it goes over. High would recommend this mower for any large estate/commercial mowing that has plenty of open areas. It is built very strong, and seems easy to maintain. i havent spent much time on figureing the blade change, but i'm sure its not to hard. Not to mention there is enough room under the deck to sharpen the blades in place on the mower.
Hope this helps.

Todd D.

Huling
06-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Todd,
Thank you for your thorough comments. It sounds like exactly what I need. I have been using a MX 6 bushhog and was looking for a better cut. The property I am using it on is about 30 acres and I just thought that would be a lot of grass to cut on a 60 inch ZTR. Too, thought it funny that my tractor is a 5420 as well.

I am checking with my JD Dealer on the blade change and will let you know what I find.

Huling

head_start
06-26-2010, 11:27 AM
i use a chain and a bucket style loader on the front fo a tractor. i just leave it hooked up to the deck while I work and it all works out fine

Huling
05-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Huling,

Today was the first time we used the RM990. It performed very good behind our JD 5420. With 65 HP at the PTO it didnt hesitate a bit. We cut commercially and used this mower on one of our 25 acre sites of Florida Bahia at 2 weeks growth. I ran the tractor a little faster than is recommended and the cut was still good. It did not leave a "perfect" cut compared to our Super Z's but was still good. However, I was able to cut at a faster rate, more width, and better grass dispersement. Any ZTR would struggle in this grass, but the RM990 went through it great. Just for a test I ran it through some 3 month old weeds that were 3' and 4'. It knocked'em down and left a decent finish. The best way I can describe it is this. It will not leave a ZTR finish, but it will leave a nice appearance. I suspect with a more frequent mowing, new blades, and a slower speed this mower will leave a cut very close to ZTR quality. The main thing to consider is this. Being a rear discharge it only cuts the grass once. Therefore the clippings left behind are a little longer as they have not been shredded up. But, this is the reason it will mow over nearly anything it goes over. High would recommend this mower for any large estate/commercial mowing that has plenty of open areas. It is built very strong, and seems easy to maintain. i havent spent much time on figureing the blade change, but i'm sure its not to hard. Not to mention there is enough room under the deck to sharpen the blades in place on the mower.
Hope this helps.

Todd D.

Hey Todd: You still using the 990? Was wondering what speed you can cut with it. Forgot to ask when this tread was started. Will it cut OK at 7 to 9 MPH (1st gear in C range)? Hope all is well.