PDA

View Full Version : Fastrap Quality?

MOturkey
06-22-2010, 08:10 AM
I've recommended Fastraps several times on this forum for those searching for an efficient way to secure their equipment to a trailer. I bought my first set in 2003, and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread.

When I bought my second ZTR last summer, I sold my 12 foot trailer, and bought a 16 footer, took the old set of Fastraps off the old trailer before I sold it, and installed them and a new set on the new trailer, and added another set to accomodate my Walker, which I use less frequently than my 260's.

The original set of Fastraps finally wore out a couple of weeks ago after 7 years of use, and being fastened-unfastened a bejillion times. The ones I purchased last summer are already starting to show significant wear, and the hardware on one bent to the point I had to straighten it after running over it with one of the mowers.

The material in the new straps is a closer weave, and quite a lot thinner. The hardware is also made of thinner metal, and seems to be more malleable than the older straps. Seven years use compared to what now looks like maybe two seasons if I'm lucky is quite a decrease in quality.

I understand many manufacturers are going with cheaper components to keep the price down, but, personally, I'd rather pay more, and get better quality. If they feel they need a cheaper alternative for the occasional use crowd (ATV's, etc), then why don't they make two different products, one being heavier for "professional" use?