PDA

View Full Version : Fall Clean up prices

sms8921
06-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi guys I have alot of customers asking me about fall clean up and they all want prices now! I dont no how to charge this yet I am new to the business. It will only be me doing the work, I have a backpack blower and am going to use my lawn tractor cause it has a bagger on it and I will probably have to tarp some also, I have no leaf loader and will be loading with 55 gallon drums. Do most of you guys charge by the hour? I dont want to under bid something for ex. the leafs look thin but once yet get to blowing them around the underlayer is is wet and they are 4 inches deep in some places. Thanks for your time...

Puddle of Oil
06-22-2010, 06:41 PM
just charge em by the hour, 50-60 an hour. dont use the drums, tarp it and drag it to the trailer.

STIHL GUY
06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
just charge em by the hour, 50-60 an hour. dont use the drums, tarp it and drag it to the trailer.

yeah a tarp would be better and just tell em your hourly rate

sms8921
06-22-2010, 06:57 PM
thanks I was thinking right around 50 so I guess I wasnt far off....I was going to load the leaves in the bed of the truck with the barrels I dont have a leaf loader so I thought that was the fastest and easiest way...

Puddle of Oil
06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
invest in a trailer (at least a 5x10) and put 4' walls around it. you can thank me later!

Glenn Lawn Care
06-23-2010, 12:33 AM
or a dollar a minute. why are your clents worried about fall clean ups in june?

sms8921
06-25-2010, 02:23 PM
I dont no but I guess it is a good thing they are planning on sending me more business maybe

Martinson9
06-27-2010, 07:02 PM
I think it's smart to be thinking of fall cleanup now. Why wait until the last second? I try get get as much as I can for fall cleanup. Most of ours are 5 to 7 times a mowing price.

monk lawns llc
06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I have a 5 x 10 trailer and built 4 sides for it and charge 25.00/hr. It doesn't seem like much, but I include drive time and time it takes to dispose of the leaves.

GreenShoesLC
06-27-2010, 08:31 PM
How big are the properties you're looking at doing fall cleanups on? We have a number of smaller residential accounts and I find that the easiest way to do fall clean ups is to use a billy goat lawn vacuum to suck up all the leaves and then dump either in your truck box or trailer etc. If you're accounts are larger, I'd suggest adding a wheeled blower to your fleet as well.

Prime Cut
06-27-2010, 10:55 PM
I got some free advice about fall cleanups. The advice was to mow other the leaves one time to cut them up. Them go over them a second time with the a bagger.
This has two benefits.
1) IT beaks down some of the leaves for the yard.
2) IT breaks them down so they take up less space when you haul them away.

Anyone agree, disagree?

LKCLawnService
06-27-2010, 11:01 PM
I got some free advice about fall cleanups. The advice was to mow other the leaves one time to cut them up. Them go over them a second time with the a bagger.
This has two benefits.

Anyone agree, disagree?

I think its a waste of time...The time spent doubling it I dont think is worth it. This Truck doesnt stop unless I get a minimum 140$ for a cleanup.:clapping::gunsfirin

robertsturf
06-28-2010, 11:50 PM
This has two benefits.

Anyone agree, disagree?

I would disagree if you have a lot or Pin-oaks in the lawn. If you grind up too many of the leaves it will mess with the ph level in the lawn. For us it was worth the investment of the leaf loading trailer! I look forward to fall clean-ups now just like brown snow!!

fastpine
06-29-2010, 12:08 AM
How do you guys tarp the leaves without blowing the tarp all over tha place?...

I pick a wall or corner,,,blow everything into the one spot,,then use a 55 gal tote with handles and wheels to get the loads to the trailer..

I use a oversize dust pans or snow shovels to get em into the tote....seems to work great...

Puddle of Oil
06-30-2010, 11:25 AM
How do you guys tarp the leaves without blowing the tarp all over tha place?...

put some stuff on the tarp to weight it down then rake it up. if you can id upgrade to a better leaf rig asap, leaf removal is a nightmare if you dont have the right equipment.

fastpine
07-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Ok,,What would you consider necessitys for a propper leaf rig?

Puddle of Oil
07-01-2010, 01:45 AM
trailer/dump truck, leaf box, leaf loader, backpack blower, push blower, leaf plow. but stay within your budget. blowing leaves into a pile is the easy part, getting into the trailer is a whole different story. so the bare bone would be trailer with sides, backpack and a loader. just my opinion though!

fastpine
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
forgive my ignorance, but whats a leaf loader, push blower, and leaf plow?

Puddle of Oil
07-01-2010, 10:50 AM
a leaf loader/debris loader/truck loader is the machine that sucks up leafs and shoots it into the truck or trailer. http://www.giant-vac.com/products/truck_loaders/

push blower.........http://littlewonder.com/lw-blowers.asp

a leaf plow mounts to your mowers so you can move mountains of leafs......http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=4

hope this helps!

fastpine
07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks andy,,

Honestly, ive never seen any of those pieces of equipment out here in New Mexico...( wit the exception of the walk behind leaf blower..Im guessing thats a midwest to eastcoats thing, considering we dont have large lots with HUGE amnts of leaves out here in the desert southwest...

The truck loaders seem like they would be hella expensive, and you would have to have the truck super close to the pile?...That situation would almost never happen in the area I service..

I figure I could get away with two guys using backpacks blowing onto a tarp,,hauling the tarp to the trailer, and repeat.

Puddle of Oil
07-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks andy,,

I figure I could get away with two guys using backpacks blowing onto a tarp,,hauling the tarp to the trailer, and repeat.

look at this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=293337

that might be your best bet!

Martinson9
07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks andy,,

Honestly, ive never seen any of those pieces of equipment out here in New Mexico...( wit the exception of the walk behind leaf blower..Im guessing thats a midwest to eastcoats thing, considering we dont have large lots with HUGE amnts of leaves out here in the desert southwest...

The truck loaders seem like they would be hella expensive, and you would have to have the truck super close to the pile?...That situation would almost never happen in the area I service..

What isn't super expensive? It all seems to cost a lot. That being said, truck loaders aren't too good. You can get a good one for a little over $3,000. When you live up north where we have lots of trees they are a necessity if you have a lot of lawns. You need to be quick and leaf loaders will pick them up quickly and get them in the dump truck/trailer. Go to the dump and press a button and watch them go away. No more loading truck with tarps and making a million trips. Leaf loaders really reduce the volume too. You don't have to get too close. Most leaf loaders will have a hose of 15 to 20 feet.

Our wheeled leaf blower is great too. Many of our customers live near woods and we can just blow the leaves right in there. Our Billy Goat wheel blower can do more blowing than several backpacks. The only side is they aren't real maneuverable.

Lawncutting27
07-01-2010, 11:54 PM
I'll blow out the bushes etc and tight areas then mulch the leaves, then blow whats left into a pile and shovel it into bags. I've gone from 17 bags to 3 using this method.

fastpine
07-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Most leaf loaders will have a hose of 15 to 20 feet.

That wouldnt help me at all...There isnt really any yards where I could pull my truck into..They all have fences, or walls with three foot gates.

bls47303
07-02-2010, 12:26 AM
That wouldnt help me at all...There isnt really any yards where I could pull my truck into..They all have fences, or walls with three foot gates.

Blow them out to the street and suck them up:hammerhead:

fastpine
07-02-2010, 12:48 AM
At least %80 of the time im working in the backyard...Now way to blow em to the street..

Puddle of Oil
07-02-2010, 01:09 AM
looks like your picking them up one by one then! lol

fastpine
07-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Judging by some of the pictures ive seen of the leaf jobs you guys do out there in the east, I can see why yall need all that specialized gear...

StihlBR600
07-08-2010, 10:21 PM
I usually charge $40 an hour and i just use my backpack blower and a tarp. I just dump theleaves in my trailer.

Texas Lawn
07-09-2010, 10:31 AM
i use a very intricate and complicated system of a rake and trash bags

stan the man
07-09-2010, 10:59 AM
all my account are 300.00 to 500.00 to do fall clean up i have done them for years. i ran around blow the leaves out round the house and trees and beds then jump on the mower bag them up and put them in back of the truck then dump them some places all my account i had for 10 years now i don't have to keep track of time on them now they don't ***** about the amount

richardb200373
07-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Leaf removal depends alot on the area you are working on. I live in a gated community of 800 houses and only work here. Properties go from nice and flat with grass to hill sides going down to the lake. My leaf removal prices vary depending on the land, how accessable, amount of leaves, amount of sticks on the ground, and how long has it been since last clean up. If you are dealing with a place that has'nt been done in a few years, you have a lot of old crap to deal with. This will be my third year, first year was a nightmare. I now have a 16 ft. trailer with plywood sides. I put a large tarp on the floor first, then drag tarped leaves on. Depending on how wet the leave are will determine how much I put on, usualy about a little more than half a load if they are dry, then you can drag the tarp out and not have much to rake out. Sorry so long, hope that helps.

stan the man
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
richardb you are right. on my account i flat rate them. they are all happy with it and they know that sometimes i have more time in the clean up and less time in it. i hate doing in the wind

Martinson9
07-09-2010, 11:37 PM
i use a very intricate and complicated system of a rake and trash bags

They clearly don't have trees where you live. Where I live I couldn't keep up on my yard with a rake and bags. I'd go broke buying bags too.

EverestLandscape
07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
I use backpacks to get stuff away from the house and out of bushes and such. Then push blowers to send them and then the leaf plow on my ZTR mower to push them to the truck loader. All depending on the size of the property, i have two to three back packs, two to three push blowers and the leaf plow working. Our leaf loader is a 16HP Giant vac...monster...thats all i can say haha

rosarioslawncutters
08-18-2010, 09:49 PM
i usually charge about 50 to $65 per hour...but never tell them your hourly rate....that will scare them....what i do is i see the property then i know more or less how long i will take.....example if i see the property and it looks like a 4 hour job then i tell them that it will cost $200 and i always add 1 extra hour just in case a bump happens .....so 250 if it takes 4 hours...

hope this helps

Watkins
08-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Our leaf removals are really beneficial for our company.

We run 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 dollar specials, last year we brought in about 50,000 before labor/fuel/insurance/repairs with last years leaf clean-up for the last 7-8 weeks of fall just before winter.
Our tactic was 8=30x40 tarps, 4=12x16 ? tarps, tent stakes walk behind leaf blowers, backpack blowers, 2 trucks, 2 18' trailers with 6ft sides.
We layed 1 tarp in the trailer ran rope to the front of the trailer attached to the tarp, we would fill the trailer with leaves and every 4 feet of loose leaves we would layer another tarp on top of the leaves and tarp and add another rope.
We did not skimp on the tarps, we payed good money for the thicker tarps.
We would manage at least 5 clean-ups a day with 3 guys last year.
The lawn mower was used to pull the tarps back to the trailer, the tent stakes held down the tarp when we loaded it with the walk behind blower and backpacks.

The only hard time we had was loading the big fatroll on the tarp after it was 1/2 way on the trailer lol.

2 men pulling the tarp into the trailer 1/2 way and the other guy to help lift the fat roll bulge on the other half of the tarp with leaves up over the end of the trailer.

At times we would manage to knock out 10 or 11 of the 200 dollar cleanups last year.