PDA

View Full Version : cause for concern - new lawns first summer

ninothing
06-22-2010, 03:52 PM
i gave my lawn a full restart last fall. planted new seed, came up very well in the fall and was looking good again coming into the spring. recently we have had A LOT of rain in my area and temps are now starting to kick up into the 90s. over the last few weeks spots of the nice green have turned slightly. i have read about brown spot and other issues on the boards. just looking for comments/confirmation/thoughts on the current status of my lawn. any cause for concern?

bigslick7878
06-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Step 1- get a better mower

Step 2 - keep it watered for the next 2 months

Step 3 - Dethatch aerate and overseed in the fall.

cgaengineer
06-22-2010, 06:56 PM
That lawn is heat stressed. What type of grass is it?

mdlwn1
06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Looks like a lot of rye is not liking the heat. What you have is in just about every picture on this forum lately. Overfed in spring cool/damp weather...becomes insta hot and the lawn just cant adjust fast enough. Your lawn actually looks fine (improving) Dont over water it..slow and deep..2x-3x per week...slow this thing down a bit. Pic up the pace again in the early fall.

Think Green
06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
engineer,
That is what I was thinking on this lawn. Definitely heat stressed and lack of water.

Whichever type of turf this is.........it needed thatching and aerating.

Barefoot James
06-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Guys this is not heat stress and he does not need more water and give him a break with the mower and aerating. REREAD his post high temps and rain this is brown patch in a fescue lawn. I would assume you are in a transition zone but since you do not furnish us with location???
In KY we are ate up with it. Grass not having time to dry out with hot nights = fungus. It should heal itself and seeding with a good compost top dress in the fall will help. You may even wish to top dress a thin layer now - can't hurt. 1 yard of good compost will cover about 3 to 5K we are talking a thin coat here but that might help. Otherwise just wait it out. Now if it starts to not rain each week a good deep (1inch) watering in the AM will be needed.
Fill wheel barrow with post and blow out with RM 8000 or Sthil 650 needs to be a powerful blower.
Or you can go the synthetic route and use a fungicide. I avoid that like the ....