PDA

View Full Version : 96 GMC tranny bad !!!!

Turfcutters Plus
06-22-2010, 05:57 PM
My 96 GMC sierra Z-71 transmission is shot . Should i get rebuild or newer truck ? . Pulling 12 by 6 pace enclosed trailer now was hard on truck tranny i think .:cry:

IOWA GUY
06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
My 96 GMC sierra Z-71 transmission is shot . Should i get rebuild or newer truck ? . Pulling 12 by 6 pace enclosed trailer now was hard on truck tranny i think .:cry:
How good is the engine?

ZTR_Diesel
06-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Yep, that 4-speed auto (I assume it is that) was known to go out, especially with a 350 in front of it. Shouldn't be too bad to find a rebuilt unit, have a tech check it out, call around and get a few estimates, then evaluate if the truck is worth repairing. Not worth much at all if not in working order.

Get it up & running and save up for something a little newer down the road...just my $.02

sw45
06-23-2010, 04:21 AM
Had the one in my 98 rebuilt. Its a 4L60E. Had upgrades put in like premium clutches, a shift kit, and vette servo. Built like that, they will last forever if maintained. The shift kit corrects problems in the valve body which can cause the trans to fail prematurely. Cost $1800 with 2 year/24k warranty

MarcSmith
06-23-2010, 06:06 AM
The 4l60e was junk. I had one in my 94 impala SS it was built...I replaced em once a year for 5 years. of course I was racing the car. :)

the 4l80e was a direct bolt up for the 4l60e with some minor computer tweaks. and it was a much more stout tranny. do some internet research you shuold be able to upgrade the tranny to the 4l80e

Junior M
06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
By far the simplest tranny to rebuild..

Reverse and I believe the clutches in the input shaft house, I think first and second, were the problems I noticed most.

I'd just have it rebuild by a tranny shop with some name, if you get what I am saying.

Turfcutters Plus
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
How good is the engine?

engine is great !

ZTR_Diesel
06-23-2010, 10:26 AM
engine is great !

I would just rebuild the transmission or replace it and keep going. As long as it's not rusting out badly, those '88 to '98 4wd Chevy/GMC's are pretty sought after as they are much simpler to work on than the newer models.

TimsLawnCareVA
06-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Get it rebuilt with a heavy duty 3-4 clutch pack (has more steel and fiber clutches than stock) and a shift improver kit designed for towing. Also install a large aftermarket trans cooler. I worked at a GMC dealer for many years and was GM and ASE certified in auto transmissions, and the most common prolblem the those transmissions was 3-4 clutch pack failure from towing.

lawnboy dan
06-24-2010, 06:18 PM
dont use od when towing in city traffic

streetscrapin16
06-24-2010, 09:51 PM
put in a 4l80

Junior M
06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Get it rebuilt with a heavy duty 3-4 clutch pack (has more steel and fiber clutches than stock) and a shift improver kit designed for towing. Also install a large aftermarket trans cooler. I worked at a GMC dealer for many years and was GM and ASE certified in auto transmissions, and the most common prolblem the those transmissions was 3-4 clutch pack failure from towing.

That was it! 3-4 clutches. when I worked in a tranny shop I had a hard time remember what clutches were what, but I could rebuild one just fine.

Lawn Man Dave
06-25-2010, 08:38 PM

For the shift improver kit don't get a cheap-0 B&M one, get the Trans-Go one and you will not regret it, get the clutch pack upgrades, deeper arftermarket tranny pan, and an aftermarket cooler and forget about it. The shift improver (shift kit) helps a bunch because the tranny builds up a lot of heat when it is trying to shift...... the shorter the shift the less heat.

I had a car that still used the factory tranny cooler in the radiator and on the outlet side he ran that line to an aftermarket cooler it it had not problems at all, it is only a few bucks for some extra rubber line so why not?

I bet you could get a pan and cooler for around $100, don't get a cheap chrome one. Are they a must have? No but if you are having to two up hills on a hot day you will like the peice of mind.

If it was me I would also put a tranny temp gauge in it (fairly easy and cheap) if you are pulling fairly heavy loads.

If you are wanting to stay on a budget upgrade the clutch packs and call it a day.

WARNING: Make sure the tranny guy flushes out the torque converter, sometimes when a tranny goes out junk ends up in them.