PDA

View Full Version : Pump Belt Super Z destroyed 50 hours...

JohnBanks
06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
This was annoying today. Not warrantied, said it probably was a stick...maybe so but Deere would have warrantied it...

Also that spring is devastating in wet grass, idler pully about took off my finger trying to get the belt on.... Yeah for breaking things, and for weak warranties.

Also thanks for giving us a crappy choice in blades..

gene gls
06-22-2010, 09:38 PM
This was annoying today. Not warrantied, said it probably was a stick...maybe so but Deere would have warrantied it...

Also that spring is devastating in wet grass, idler pully about took off my finger trying to get the belt on.... Yeah for breaking things, and for weak warranties.

There is a wide veritity of blades on the market for Hustler. What is your deck size? Pratice makes perfect on the belt change, very simple. You need to carry a spare with you, that belt is prone to stick damage. You also need to keep that idler pully greased,often, because the bolt wears and idler pully gets cockeyed and the belt keeps poping off. Hustler idler pully mounting bolts are a bad design.

puppypaws
06-22-2010, 10:03 PM

I had the same thing happen in less than 5 hrs., I am positive something (probably a stick) popped up just right, got between the belt and pulley causing it to jump off. My dealer is a personal friend, and he gave me another belt, one he was not compelled to replace because it was not any fault of the mower but an accident caused by a freak occurrence.

MJB
06-25-2010, 01:11 AM

Mine just broke today on my last lawn . They are a pain I bought a new belt that was the same size but could not get the spring on. So I tried it and it worked long enough without the tensioner to finish mowing my lawn and to show it to someone who bought it tonight. I just have to fix the belt tensioner. So I'm looking for a new mower.

puppypaws
06-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Mine just broke today on my last lawn . They are a pain I bought a new belt that was the same size but could not get the spring on. So I tried it and it worked long enough without the tensioner to finish mowing my lawn and to show it to someone who bought it tonight. I just have to fix the belt tensioner. So I'm looking for a new mower.

What was the problem given to you by the belt?

MJB
06-25-2010, 11:05 PM
What was the problem given to you by the belt?

The belt just broke and in a hurry I bought one a little to small and couldn't get the spring hooked up to the tensioner.

Have you heard anything negative about the BB Outlaw from your dealer ? I am very close to ordering one on monday.

MS_SURVEYOR
06-26-2010, 12:04 AM
The belt just broke and in a hurry I bought one a little to small and couldn't get the spring hooked up to the tensioner.

Have you heard anything negative about the BB Outlaw from your dealer ? I am very close to ordering one on monday.

I was at my dealer today buying engine, hydro, and air filters. I asked the parts man if they has any Outlaw's in stock. He just looked at me, shock his head, and said, "we can't keep them in stock."! That kind of took me by surprise being this is Exmark country. My wife then noticed that all the Toro's were gone from that dealership. But to answer you question, No! I've not heard any thing in person about the Outlaw. The strange thing about going there today was everybody was relaxed and happy. And the mower tech was clean enough to be a salesman. That kind of makes me wonder some. :rolleyes:

:drinkup:

MJB
06-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I was at my dealer today buying engine, hydro, and air filters. I asked the parts man if they has any Outlaw's in stock. He just looked at me, shock his head, and said, "we can't keep them in stock."! That kind of took me by surprise being this is Exmark country. My wife then noticed that all the Toro's were gone from that dealership. But to answer you question, No! I've not heard any thing in person about the Outlaw. The strange thing about going there today was everybody was relaxed and happy. And the mower tech was clean enough to be a salesman. That kind of makes me wonder some. :rolleyes:

:drinkup:

Same here. Everyone I have talked to says nothing negative just can't find one yet to buy. I heard a shipment was coming in to Seattle I may have to drive to get one if I get in a bind. I think they are still 3 weeks out if you order one. Which is not bad just I want to cut with one before I oull the trigger. Hate to buy anything without trying it out first.

JohnBanks
06-26-2010, 12:13 AM
That was small belt to work without the pully.... It is easy to put on with mower off ground, laying in dirt and tall grass made it suck

demhustler
06-26-2010, 02:40 AM
That was small belt to work without the pully.... It is easy to put on with mower off ground, laying in dirt and tall grass made it suck

could be debree between belt & pulley, - or could be belt (some belts do, but some don't last long in such extremely hot area in SZ: pumps cooling plus engine like Kohler28hp shoots not only hot air under mower, but part of exhaust also)
- but... after couple of belts - you'll be glad it just a belt (even it's hot, no room - you'll use to it (PTO belt -off, pump belt - on pulleys except idler, pull idler with your fingers , snap belt on it (spring seems tight, but actually-pussy, on one of our SZ it even attached not to stock hook(welded), but separate bolted hook 4 more tension, - still, changing belt on the ground - not convenient but not big deal, just bit PITA)

demhustler
06-26-2010, 03:19 AM
btw. if it'll makes you feel better, to change pumps v-belt in toro(hrz.shaft) - even more pain inthe s : )))))))
hot & VERY tight area (you might squeeze a one finger in there (if that) : )))))

JohnBanks
06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
it was wear the belt broke that made it stink. I eventually took the chain from the deck belt and used it to get the pully just tight enough to drive to the trailer. After I got the back end up in the air at the end of the ramp it was a snap.

Getting from the place it broke to the trailer was the hard part.. I have added a floor jack to my trailer in case this happens again.

puppypaws
06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
it was wear the belt broke that made it stink. I eventually took the chain from the deck belt and used it to get the pully just tight enough to drive to the trailer. After I got the back end up in the air at the end of the ramp it was a snap.

Getting from the place it broke to the trailer was the hard part.. I have added a floor jack to my trailer in case this happens again.

If it was wear at 50 hrs. that caused the breakage, there is a definite problem, the belt may not be running true on the pulleys, possibly due to pulley misalignment.

JTLarson
06-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Coworker had his hydro belt grenade around 280 hrs on his 30/60 Super Z. I decided to get a backup belt after that and sure enough my hydro belt grenaded yesterday with 260 hrs on my 31/72 Super Z. Is this an issue? I've never had belt issues like this before. I noticed the belt had started to crack when my coworkers broke. I don't think a stick is the issue. Losin my faith in Hustler. And yes, I agree, replacing the belt is a pain in the ass, especially in the field. What to do? Been considering a Scag.

puppypaws
06-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Coworker had his hydro belt grenade around 280 hrs on his 30/60 Super Z. I decided to get a backup belt after that and sure enough my hydro belt grenaded yesterday with 260 hrs on my 31/72 Super Z. Is this an issue? I've never had belt issues like this before. I noticed the belt had started to crack when my coworkers broke. I don't think a stick is the issue. Losin my faith in Hustler. And yes, I agree, replacing the belt is a pain in the ass, especially in the field. What to do? Been considering a Scag.

It could possible be where the belt runs so near the ground there is debris that gets thrown into the belt area occasionally. This possibly provides a situation where the debris (stick, rock, gravel or other things) could get between a pulley and belt. You may never know this took place, yet in a split second it caused a burned or worn place in the belt that could develop into a premature failure. A belt running on true pulleys with no sharp edges, bearing or shaft problems should run into the thousands of hours with no problem. Unless you have a dry rot problem (from age) a good smooth turning belt will last an unbelievably long time.

I have 771 hrs. on the Super Z I own now (I've owned several with no belt problems), and I replaced one pump belt on this machine. This came as a freak accident of a stick being throw up perfectly between the belt and pulley. I mow and pulverize sticks which are decayed into the 2" size range, I also mow around 50 acres of fields when I cut corn and the combine throws chopped stalks into the grass. This increases your chance of debris (corn stalks), being thrown into the belt and pulley areas much more than normal cutting, believe me I do not baby my Super Z in any way shape or form, I work it like a tractor and rotary cutter in many areas.

The Super Z is a tough machine if it holds up to the severe mowing conditions I put it through. There are differences in the same mowers; depending on where they came off the assembly line. I may have demolished another Super Z that had been through what the one I have now has gone through. I've just been lucky this particular one has been as near perfect as a Super Z gets.

JTLarson
06-26-2010, 02:57 PM
It sounds like we mow about the same types of stuff! Lol! I had a 25/60 and it was great. Tried the diesel and didn't care for it especially when it grenaded the hydro belt taking out the alternator belt and leaving me completely dead in a fenced in yard. That was due to the idler pulley not being greased at the factory good enough causing the belt to jump track on the ribbed pulley. I thought I wanted a 72 so I stepped up after that incident. Thinkin about goin back to a Super 60 but I'd like to get the 31 big block on it. I just didn't know if the bigger engines were causing the belt failure, because like I mentioned, I had a 25/60 without any issues. Really like the extra power tho! I've had Exmarks, Deeres, Jacobsons, and ran several others. Never had the opportunity to run a Scag zero turn. I read lots of good comments on the velocity decks on here, but I also hurt my back and have read they have a rough ride. My Hustler dealer has been great and would hate to veer away, but curiosity might kill this cat!! I got several friends to buy Hustler and think they are a good machine. Sometimes I feel like the hydros are robbing a lot of the power. Didn't know if all brands were like that or if I'd be better off with a straight Hustler Z. Thanks for all your comments and info. I enjoy reading them!

puppypaws
06-26-2010, 06:52 PM
It sounds like we mow about the same types of stuff! Lol! I had a 25/60 and it was great. Tried the diesel and didn't care for it especially when it grenaded the hydro belt taking out the alternator belt and leaving me completely dead in a fenced in yard. That was due to the idler pulley not being greased at the factory good enough causing the belt to jump track on the ribbed pulley. I thought I wanted a 72 so I stepped up after that incident. Thinkin about goin back to a Super 60 but I'd like to get the 31 big block on it. I just didn't know if the bigger engines were causing the belt failure, because like I mentioned, I had a 25/60 without any issues. Really like the extra power tho! I've had Exmarks, Deeres, Jacobsons, and ran several others. Never had the opportunity to run a Scag zero turn. I read lots of good comments on the velocity decks on here, but I also hurt my back and have read they have a rough ride. My Hustler dealer has been great and would hate to veer away, but curiosity might kill this cat!! I got several friends to buy Hustler and think they are a good machine. Sometimes I feel like the hydros are robbing a lot of the power. Didn't know if all brands were like that or if I'd be better off with a straight Hustler Z. Thanks for all your comments and info. I enjoy reading them!

Like I say, if you get the right mower off the assembly line, the 31 on a Super Z will be as trouble free as your 25 but with a great deal more power.

Scag has a very good suspension seat on the TT's with a 29 or larger hp engine. The 35 Vanguard is what I would want on the TT, I actually talked with Scag's manufacturing facility a few days ago and they told me the 35 Vanguard had been their hot seller on the TT.

The 21 cc pumps on the Super Z suck a great deal of HP, I'm personally waiting on a 36 to 40 hp fuel injected engine before I buy again. I normally never keep a Super Z this long without trading but this one has been so perfect I'm scared the next one won't be as good, there is no way for one to be better. The Kohler 28 efi cranks and runs better than any Kawasaki or Kohler engine I've had previously.

JohnBanks
06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I am guessing the belt broke because of stick. Not bad design. But not how I would design it, I would at least put a damn cage down there. I about had the pto in a mud whole the other day when I slipt into to big of a ditch...

I am with puppy paws, it will last a long time, I am not knocking that. There are just some things on the Hustler that are stupid.