PDA

View Full Version : Stupid questions regarding speed feed/redmax

Cutgrassfast
06-22-2010, 09:51 PM
My situation is difficult to explain on the internet or phone but I'm going to try anyway....

I have a new bcz2450t trimmer and I am confused about the installation of a Oregon speed feed head.

I probably made my life more difficult by completely disassembling the stock head in order to remove it but I am almost positive I am at the correct stage in the process to install the new head.
There is a black bushing that rotates at the end of the shaft. Below the bushing is about a three inch "stud" that is threaded at about the last half inch.
If I am approaching the installation correctly, one of the arbor (adapter) studs should screw into the new speed feed, which in turn threads into the matching arbor bushing and the arbor bushing simply screws into the half inch stud at the end of the trimmer.

None of the arbor bushings will match the threaded stud on the trimmer. One of them seems to be the correct diameter but the threads will not line up.

Am I missing something? Does the three inch piece below the black bushing come off? Anybody have any pics or suggestions?
Something that seems so easy is about to drive me nuts!:dizzy:

coxslawncare
06-22-2010, 10:55 PM
not sure about the one you have but when the shindiawa speed feed heads first came out you had to purchase an adapter kit to get to work with Echo (it had a spacer and a thread adapter, the ones that came with it did not work) maybe redmax is the same.

lawns Etc
06-22-2010, 11:05 PM
You should be able to remove the stock head and thread the new head to the stock arbor they are the same thread. It comes with the correct one for Redmax pre installed
Posted via Mobile Device

Cutgrassfast
06-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Unless I am missing something, the arbor bushing that is pre-installed is way too big for the stud on the trimmer. One of the supplied arbor bushings seems to be the correct diameter but wrong threads? One of the extra studs fits one side of the aftermarket bushing but the bushing won't go onto the trimmer.

Am I correct that the remaining piece on the trimmer (after the head is removed) is approximately three inches with about a half inch threaded area? I just want to make sure I am not trying to attach the new head to the wrong piece and need to remove more stock parts or something.

I think it's simply a matter of a bad arbor bushing but need to make sure it's not something I am doing wrong first.

MikeKle
06-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I have the BCZ26 and installed the speedfeed 450 on it, if you have the same type of threaded stub as I do, you dont need any of the adaptors, the speedfeed screws right on without any of them, it has a female threaded section in it already, that is the one that will fit your trimmer, and I believe it is reverse threaded.

Cutgrassfast
06-23-2010, 10:17 AM
The arbor bushing supplied in the speed feed is way too big for my trimmer. The threads don't even touch.

MikeKle
06-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I guess the 24 and 26 use different sized threaded ends then? My speedfeed went right on straight outta the box without using any arbors, but mine was the Shindaiwa brand and was a 450 model. If you have to take it to a good hardware store they should have some sort of adapter that will work.

Cutgrassfast
06-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Figured out the issue today and the problem was what I expected. The threaded stud I was trying to install the new head on needed to come off too. I tried removing it with my original attempt but it was so tight it made me question my methods.

I took the trimmer back to the dealer this morning to make sure I didn't screw anything up. It took a vice, a wrench with a cheater bar and both mechanics to get the original head off.