PDA

View Full Version : Thick, fast growing lawns

SOS Landscaping
06-23-2010, 11:20 AM
We have a few lawns in a particular neighborhood which are impossible to get the growing undercontrol. 4 houses in a a row, they all water, monthly fert. and just plain old super healthy kentucky bluegrass. Back at spring cleanup they were all cut at 3" as the grass was barely growing. As soon as temps warmed up within one week the grass with 6-7" and made cutting at anything below 4" brown the grass out and look terrible. Last year 4-4 1/4" seemed to be a good cutting height for the houses. This year it is impossible. lawn is growing 4"+ a week and even cutting with the deck all the way up still requires multiple passes and bagging. These are being cut with Lazer Z mowers with exmark high lift blades. Should I be swithcing to a different blade? I requested that they only water every other day, but even that has not helped slow the growth rates at all. These houses should be money makers having 4 in a row, however we spend way too much time there, double cutting and bagging.

Grasscape Inc
06-23-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm going through this as well....Good jobs that get cut all summer even in extra dry conditions, but I can't stay on top of them so far this year.....I've turned off their water and discussed the chemicals with them, but they say they are not doing anything different than years past..And they're right.....I'm spending tremendous time and fuel on these jobs, and have talked to others , but can't seem to find a solution..If they didnt carry me through the summer I would hand them off......Same boat as you....Can't find a paddle either

mhaley927
06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
We have a few lawns in a particular neighborhood which are impossible to get the growing undercontrol. 4 houses in a a row, they all water, monthly fert. and just plain old super healthy kentucky bluegrass. Back at spring cleanup they were all cut at 3" as the grass was barely growing. As soon as temps warmed up within one week the grass with 6-7" and made cutting at anything below 4" brown the grass out and look terrible. Last year 4-4 1/4" seemed to be a good cutting height for the houses. This year it is impossible. lawn is growing 4"+ a week and even cutting with the deck all the way up still requires multiple passes and bagging. These are being cut with Lazer Z mowers with exmark high lift blades. Should I be swithcing to a different blade? I requested that they only water every other day, but even that has not helped slow the growth rates at all. These houses should be money makers having 4 in a row, however we spend way too much time there, double cutting and bagging.

I only one of of these but WOW was it a pain and they didnt even have a sprinkler system!... Mine has slowed down due to some HOT and DRY weeks, but here's what I didto survive the bad weeks...

Cut it every 4-5 days to start (at the weekly price). Explain that its unhealthy to cut more than half the blade of grass at once and that there is ALWAYS a few weeks where KBG grows like crazy and to get through it you need them to work with you. Sounds like for a while you were just taking it on the chin as far as time and fuel and I did that too for a while, but if theyre a good customer theyll comprimise. When I cut I cut it longer than most (4-4.5) and make one pass nice and slow to cut it, and dont miss anything! Then put your deck all the way up and retrace your pattern. It lifts the discharge way up, recuts it, and sprays it extra far since its higher off the ground obviously. Ours STILL didnt look outstanding, but it looked way better. Like I said, its slowed down now and is looking good being cut every 6-7 days. Good Luck!

Grasscape Inc
06-23-2010, 03:58 PM
One of the inherent problems in this business

When the lawns are growing enough to be cut every 4 days, it is the same time that it is raining 3-4 days a week so you couldnt get to them that often even if you wanted to....I couldn't get enough nice weather this spring so far to cut them every 7 days some weeks, much less every 4...Even if they did pay me....

Nature of the beast....

At least you can plow when its snowing, but there' is only so much you can do when its raining, and it takes SO much longer....

I have customers who would like it cut twice a week in the spring, but I can't get there when my work week is ony 4 days...

SOS Landscaping
06-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, sounds like it wasnt just me or my guys with the problem. I figured there was not much to do except 2x per week cuts. One customer is fine with it, the others say it looks fine when you cut it, no way are we paying double per month of have the lawn cut we will find someone else. Normally I would say sure since Im losing money on the cuts, but in reality I make up for a lot of it with the monthly hedge trimming and weeding, plus the spring/fall clean up and mulch. Good luck guys!