PDA

View Full Version : i hate it when people hit me up for info

BadRancher
06-23-2010, 07:34 PM
I had a guy call for an estimate, and. He wanted some bed work done. As we got more and more into looking around he kept askin for more info as to what I was going to do. So, I kind of figured he just wanted to what to do. Then he told me he wasn't looking for advice and wanted to give me the job. So a few days later I call to set up the date. He later calls me back and says he is going to take care of it on his own. I kind of expected it, but it pissed me off so bad. He wasted my time, gas, and money. Ugh. I just wanted to vent. Anyone else run into a$$ses like this?
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I planned a job to plant 2 3" Cleveland pears to replace two dead ones that had already been removed across a property line with 6-7 other Cleveland pears. For two months, we've been going back and forth, I've done some other work for them, etc. Not really postponing the job, just not in a big hurry to have it done.

Long story short, two nights ago when I was there for some pruning, I told them I could have the two trees Saturday to plant. She said go for it, so I called the nursery to order the trees. Last night, she calls me and says her husband is concerned about the new Cleveland pears coming down with the same disease or insect infestation that killed a few other of their Clevelands. I said, of course it's possible, so now they want Bradfords which won't match. So I have to call to cancel the nursery order, find 3" Bradfords, and deal with her crap. I'm about ready to tell them to pound sand and call somebody else. I don't need the money that bad.

whosedog
06-23-2010, 08:47 PM
What's wrong with him ,he could have joined Lawn-Site and got the info for free without you wasting your time and gas!

punt66
06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I planned a job to plant 2 3" Cleveland pears to replace two dead ones that had already been removed across a property line with 6-7 other Cleveland pears. For two months, we've been going back and forth, I've done some other work for them, etc. Not really postponing the job, just not in a big hurry to have it done.

Long story short, two nights ago when I was there for some pruning, I told them I could have the two trees Saturday to plant. She said go for it, so I called the nursery to order the trees. Last night, she calls me and says her husband is concerned about the new Cleveland pears coming down with the same disease or insect infestation that killed a few other of their Clevelands. I said, of course it's possible, so now they want Bradfords which won't match. So I have to call to cancel the nursery order, find 3" Bradfords, and deal with her crap. I'm about ready to tell them to pound sand and call somebody else. I don't need the money that bad.

so making another phone call is that much a problem for you?????

nepatsfan
06-23-2010, 09:00 PM
I said, of course it's possible, so now they want Bradfords which won't match. So I have to call to cancel the nursery order, find 3" Bradfords, and deal with her crap. I'm about ready to tell them to pound sand and call somebody else. I don't need the money that bad.

"Committed to running a professional business that takes pride in serving customer needs with dignity and respect."

LOL...:laugh::laugh: Wow

nepatsfan
06-23-2010, 09:00 PM
3 inch trees are pretty small

93Chevy
06-23-2010, 09:58 PM
"Committed to running a professional business that takes pride in serving customer needs with dignity and respect."

LOL...:laugh::laugh: Wow

Good point. I didn't actually tell them "no" yet.

Maybe the sun's getting to me...working 14 hours a day...maybe I can't handle the stress as well as I thought I could. Having some feedback helps put everything in perspective. I guess it's not a big deal, it was just annoying at the time.

93Chevy
06-23-2010, 10:01 PM
so making another phone call is that much a problem for you?????

Actually yes. My boss at my full-time day job doesn't like me making personal phone calls, and I work for him from about 7am until between 3 and 6, depending on the day. Some nurseries are still open when I get off work, but some aren't. And I really don't like driving his trucks talking on the phone for myself.

punt66
06-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Actually yes. My boss at my full-time day job doesn't like me making personal phone calls, and I work for him from about 7am until between 3 and 6, depending on the day. Some nurseries are still open when I get off work, but some aren't. And I really don't like driving his trucks talking on the phone for myself.

the challenges in being a business owner get much deeper then that my friend. Get used to it.

93Chevy
06-23-2010, 11:07 PM
the challenges in being a business owner get much deeper then that my friend. Get used to it.

I understand. Nobody needs to hear my sob story about why I'm more stressed than usual. The customer doesn't care, and it's my job to serve them the best that I can, no matter what happens on my end. In retrospect, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. I realize what a tool I sound like now, complaining about a customer's simple request. Sorry to move the thread away from the original topic, wasn't my intent.

BadRancher
06-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I understand. Nobody needs to hear my sob story about why I'm more stressed than usual. The customer doesn't care, and it's my job to serve them the best that I can, no matter what happens on my end. In retrospect, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. I realize what a tool I sound like now, complaining about a customer's simple request. Sorry to move the thread away from the original topic, wasn't my intent.

I understand where you are coming from, but atleast you still have the chance to make money on the deal. This guy just wanted info on how to do his stuff.

topsites
06-23-2010, 11:39 PM
working 14 hours a day..

I know a little secret.

If you only work 8 hours a day, at the end of the month it's the same money!

FastMan
06-24-2010, 12:52 AM
I know a little secret.

If you only work 8 hours a day, at the end of the month it's the same money!

Heck, why stop at 8? Do it in 6,,,, no, 4. :)

topsites
06-24-2010, 03:14 AM
Heck, why stop at 8? Do it in 6,,,, no, 4. :)

Actually unless you count the time I spent driving I don't think I worked two hours today,
stayed home all of Monday and Tuesday but I was trying to break it gently.

Why work yourself to death for peanuts.

JoeHop6299
06-24-2010, 03:32 AM
Actually unless you count the time I spent driving I don't think I worked two hours today,

That must be nice!!! I make alot more than peanuts,but spend alot of time doing it. Some days I work 16hrs, and some weeks 7days, but i make more than anyone I know that only works 8hrs a day.

MarcSmith
06-24-2010, 07:05 AM
That must be nice!!! I make alot more than peanuts,but spend alot of time doing it. Some days I work 16hrs, and some weeks 7days, but i make more than anyone I know that only works 8hrs a day.

but if you figure your hourly rate, the guys who works 8 hours are probably bringing home the same bacon you are per hour, and he's not worn out, beat down, stressed, tired, frustrated...

FWIW you will always get tire kickers..and that's one of the issues with "free" estimates. But you gotta ive estimates to get jobs...

AI Inc
06-24-2010, 08:00 AM
There is more to life then working. Rich isnt measured in wealth , but happiness.

All_Toro_4ME
06-24-2010, 10:03 AM
I had a guy call for an estimate, and. He wanted some bed work done. As we got more and more into looking around he kept askin for more info as to what I was going to do. So, I kind of figured he just wanted to what to do. Then he told me he wasn't looking for advice and wanted to give me the job. So a few days later I call to set up the date. He later calls me back and says he is going to take care of it on his own. I kind of expected it, but it pissed me off so bad. He wasted my time, gas, and money. Ugh. I just wanted to vent. Anyone else run into a$$ses like this?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ehhhh yea, time wasters. They make me cringe everytime. Had an elderly gentleman call for an estimate. He was very determined to for me to use his old john deere push. I told him I had my own equip. There was a lot of going back and forth because he kept going on and on about how well it ran. Finally get past that phase and onto the scheduling part. He agrees to weekly. The following day he calls to "remind me" in 2 days he'll be expecting me and that he's on the schedule. The following day he calls again. Same thing. The day he's scheduled, same thing, twice. I play it cool and just think maybe he's had a tough time in the past with others showing up. Get to the house, he wants to sit in the backyard and talk, drink tea and talk some more. Last thing on my mind to do with other accts on the schedule after him. Then he stood right by me the entire time wanting to talk as I'm running the equipment, again slowing me down. I asked him if he could go inside because something could get thrown from the equipment. No I like it out here. Finally finish the property, took 3 times as long as it should. I approach the truck to load up and leave and he tells me I don't need to be on the schedule, you did a great job but mainly I just wanted to see if you would show up.

FastMan
06-24-2010, 03:53 PM

OK, topsites, you sparked my interest. Whatcha got going there buddy? A fleet of robo-mowers? Trading the market? Gigolo services? :)

punt66
06-24-2010, 08:05 PM
OK, topsites, you sparked my interest. Whatcha got going there buddy? A fleet of robo-mowers? Trading the market? Gigolo services? :)

A shed and a bed hahah.

Bumpmaster
06-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I here you BadRancher, I have been thinking of charging fees like lawyers.

At least $5.00 estimates and $60 dollars for talking, atleast to customers you feel talking to them is work.

JoeHop6299
06-28-2010, 12:44 AM
but if you figure your hourly rate, the guys who works 8 hours are probably bringing home the same bacon you are per hour, and he's not worn out, beat down, stressed, tired, frustrated...

FWIW you will always get tire kickers..and that's one of the issues with "free" estimates. But you gotta ive estimates to get jobs...

I'll give you that, I'm always beat-down and stressed trying to stay on top of my schedules!!!!