PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this happen?

Baytownlawncare
06-24-2010, 03:21 AM
I get my first customer this year and he is one of those cash only guys which is fine. He is weekly and starts paying me up front for the entire month. Ok fine. After about 2 months he and the next payment is due he does not leave it. I go ahead and mow. I call him the next day and he states that he will just start leaving cash for each service not monthly like he had. Ok fine again. Pays pretty constantly. Then he starts missing payments and I have to chase him for payment. I hate making an extra trip for payments because it wastes my gas and time. Last week I mowed and no payment. Tuesday I call him (one day before the next service) and tell him hey I am coming tomorrow can you please leave a double payment. Again he is like no problem. I show up Wednesday this week and check for payment first and it is not there. So I leave him a note and tell him I can come back on Friday but will not start my equipment if both services are not paid for. He has always been happy with my work and I even ask him if everything is ok and he never has a problem. I am about ready to collect the payment for the service rendered and dump him. He is not receptive to invoicing or any "internet or electronic billling". What would you guys do?

Troy
Baytownlawncare.com

Littleriver1
06-24-2010, 06:13 AM
It's called "holding your money hostage". I always walk away.

chesterlawn
06-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Next it will be, I left the money you didn't get it? Sorry, I don't know what to tell you.

Baytownlawncare
06-24-2010, 06:35 AM
"Next it will be, I left the money you didn't get it? Sorry, I don't know what to tell you."

Yea I can see that happening. I am seriously thinking about dumping him. My wife told me to dump the trash and find better. I have noticed that once you get rid of trash like this guy you always seem to get a good one in his place that pays even more money!

Golfpro21
06-24-2010, 07:17 AM
that is so true......we lost two pain in the a$$ customers last week.......and low and behold we picked up 3 new customers this week that are higher priced, easier cuts and better locations, oh and they don't seem to be PITA's

Good luck with the season

mnglocker
06-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Show up when he's home, collect and dump him.

topsites
06-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Yup...
I knew from the git go it would be bad news.

Had a guy who said I needed to run by his bank and cash his check on a specific day.

I told him all checks go with the deposit to my bank.

That is how I do things, I absolutely refuse to play these games, I even asked
the customer if he thought it would be a good idea if I did this with all my customers.
No, he said, just for this one check.
I said no, if the check is no good, don't write it.

Of course, the check bounced.

Then it worked fine for a while but you know the rest of the story, this one didn't end well either.
I even tried several times to tell these folks this lawn service thing was not a good idea,
they wouldn't have it, nonsense they said.

Hate that...
Another one of those schools teaching me lessons I didn't feel I needed,
guess I must have done something to deserve it.
bs.

MOturkey
06-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Sometimes, things just happen, but from my experience in business, there is a certain percentage of people who actually are devious enough to "set you up" over a period of time. They will pay like clockwork for a while, then, like in your situation, they get a little behind, or the check is in the mail, or my car quit last week, and had to go in the shop.

They play on our trust, because I always think, "Well, they have always paid me before, so....." First thing you know, they get a months free service out of you, and you will never see the money. I'm not saying this is the case with your client, just that I know it does happen, and more than one might think. They simply move on to the next guy, and play them the same way. Over a period of years, they can end up bilking people out of a substantial amount of money.

Lawn Pawn
06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Sometimes, things just happen, but from my experience in business, there is a certain percentage of people who actually are devious enough to "set you up" over a period of time. They will pay like clockwork for a while, then, like in your situation, they get a little behind, or the check is in the mail, or my car quit last week, and had to go in the shop.

They play on our trust, because I always think, "Well, they have always paid me before, so....." First thing you know, they get a months free service out of you, and you will never see the money. I'm not saying this is the case with your client, just that I know it does happen, and more than one might think. They simply move on to the next guy, and play them the same way. Over a period of years, they can end up bilking people out of a substantial amount of money.

This is a wise man....

It is sad so many of us need to learn this the hard way !

JohnnyRoyale
06-24-2010, 09:51 AM
X2-Very common amongst the "General Contractor" types. I got set up for a $175,000.00 fall 4 years ago, after 10 years and 30 projects with a flawless payment history. It was the most expensive lesson I was ever force fed in 15 years of business.

Chilehead
06-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Show up when he's home, collect and dump him.

This is what I have done. One time I had a customer who was holding out on me for $275.00 for a month. One weekend I show up, bang on the door, gave a motivational speech, and collected. Dropped them and never looked back.

Baytownlawncare
06-24-2010, 08:39 PM
that is so true......we lost two pain in the a$$ customers last week.......and low and behold we picked up 3 new customers this week that are higher priced, easier cuts and better locations, oh and they don't seem to be PITA's

Good luck with the season

Well now I have 2 customers that don't want to pay. The other won't return my calls, texts or emails. She is behind one payment so I won't even show up at her house tomorrow. I just landed a new client with signed service agreement that I will collect enough money on to replace the income on both of these others. Basically I mow one yard and get the money I was making for two yards. Funny how things swing in your favor. He also wants mulch and flower bed work done. God seems to work in mysterious ways!

Hell on Blades
06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Things come and go -- In three years of business, I'm only out $285. I still mail her bills every month..

mnglocker
06-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Things come and go -- In three years of business, I'm only out $285. I still mail her bills every month..

File a lean. Ding her credit. Hire guy with the middle name "The" and have him knock on the door to collect.

ed2hess
06-24-2010, 10:39 PM
In 35 years we learned a lot.....but setting up a deal where customer leaves cash/check for each mowing just won't work. Especially when they are OLD.
This is even higher on our list then the people that want it cut on a 10 day schedule.

ptlawnguy
06-24-2010, 11:05 PM
i learned the hard way. lost out on 200 bucks. he got a month plus one cut free. Thank god for karma though. he went bankrupt and lost his house. I had plenty or thoughs about tearing up his yard with my truck or putting weed killer in a super soaker and doing a drive by. In the end, i did nothing and karma took over.

Southern Pride
06-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Guys, this is my biggest problem.

This is my first year actually owning my own show. I went from 3 customers to 22 currently.

Its funny out of that many people only 2 or 3 can ruin your week. Every week. My problem is I have this one old black lady, she plays on my trust and pays, but always at a certain point when her money goes through, even though she lives alone in a 500k house that would live 10 and has a Jaguar in her garage. The worst part is she has 3 properties I take care of which is alot of revenue for me right now a month. So, its almost like I have to. Then, she goes and gets me her daughters yard and her and her daughter both give me the were broke and in hard times but well pay on this date. They always do but it is such a pain in the ass. People do plenty of things to save money when times are tough. Hell, she has a $500 lawn tractor in her garage. Her daughter tells me to go cut her grass and its 3 ft high, says she has a baby rotweiler in the back yard. I step back there, see a mound of sh!t a foot high and a 200lb rotweiler steps out. Good thing its sweet as can be.

My point is, you may have 25-1000 customers, but how many are the customers that you really want?? Geographically and personality wise. I can honestly say only about half of mine, if that. I just assume the more I grow, the more I weed out people who can't pay, can't get on a schedule, and who think you're just that guy to deal with all of their **** and call you for all their odd/end bs they wanna pay someone next to nothing to do. I am so sick of this. I guess I just give off that vibe because I am too nice, but man, it gets old.