PDA

View Full Version : Customer doing something odd?

MikeKle
06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I picked up this new account a couple months ago, It is 2 guys that recently moved up here from down in KY, and yes , they are a gay couple, Im assuming thats why they moved up here, but everything went fine for the first few weeks, their yard is super easy, no obstacles, fences or anything, just open, flat yard, and pretty small too, a few weeks ago, I get there and it was mowed already, so I call the guy and he says his BF and him got into an argument and he had to get some aggression out, so he went and mowed the yard himself, and apologized for not calling me about it, well, I show up there yesterday, and it was mowed again. I didnt bother calling this time though, but Im not going to keep driving there if they are going to mow it. I think they are the type that like to have a lawn guy on "standby", so when they dont feel like doing it, they know it will get done. If this is the case, then Im going to have to charge accordingly then, but I get the feeling they wont like that! I am only putting up with them over this because their yard is so easy and close to my house.

SchnabelLawnCare
06-24-2010, 09:48 AM
I picked up this new account a couple months ago, It is 2 guys that recently moved up here from down in KY, and yes , they are a gay couple, Im assuming thats why they moved up here, but everything went fine for the first few weeks, their yard is super easy, no obstacles, fences or anything, just open, flat yard, and pretty small too, a few weeks ago, I get there and it was mowed already, so I call the guy and he says his BF and him got into an argument and he had to get some aggression out, so he went and mowed the yard himself, and apologized for not calling me about it, well, I show up there yesterday, and it was mowed again. I didnt bother calling this time though, but Im not going to keep driving there if they are going to mow it. I think they are the type that like to have a lawn guy on "standby", so when they dont feel like doing it, they know it will get done. If this is the case, then Im going to have to charge accordingly then, but I get the feeling they wont like that! I am only putting up with them over this because their yard is so easy and close to my house.

Well if they are gay, then they don't like your prancing bikini employee...

MikeKle
06-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Maybe I should have mowed their yard without a shirt on and some tight little jean shorts?!!! I wouldnt dare do that, as my farmers tan is horrible!

MIarchery
06-24-2010, 10:13 AM
You should have hired a gay guy to mow naked. You defiantly would still be doing it.

Fireguy97
06-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I think they are the type that like to have a lawn guy on "standby", so when they dont feel like doing it, they know it will get done. If this is the case, then Im going to have to charge accordingly then, but I get the feeling they wont like that! I am only putting up with them over this because their yard is so easy and close to my house.

I don't understand the point of this thread. Are you trying to impress someone that you mow for gays? How about doing something that will actually make some sense and talk to them about it when you give them a bill for your time already allocated and spent.

Mick

MarcSmith
06-24-2010, 11:41 AM
So its odd that a customer is cutting their own grass?

Do you have a contract, or is just a pay as you go?

basically you are in the service industry, people call you you to get work done. Some time they call and schedule work, some times they call and need your services sooner rather than later...

Customers control the money and as such they can, to a point, dictate the terms. this is one reason I never did the pay as you mow plans. they could tell you to skip a week, and let it get long, ect. a yearly maintenance plan with amortized monthly billing was the way to weed out the customers who wanted to "control" your mowing schedule.

RLS24
06-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Just say "this is the day I am going to be in the area working, if you want the lawn cut that week you need to call me by this day and let me know that you want it cut" and if its something you're already going out of your way to do then just drop them.

lotsagrass
06-24-2010, 12:04 PM
If they start telling you they've got some friend named 'John Thomas' they want you to meet, run! :waving:

Florida Gardener
06-24-2010, 12:51 PM
a "per-cut" down in Florida is a losing situation. Most of the time they want every other week in which you are cutting through mountains of grass putting more wear on your mower. They don't do any extras and in the winter you get practically no income. You can have your $80 for 2 cuts. I'll take customers who want a nice looking yard year round.

mowisme
06-24-2010, 01:20 PM
If you need the work- I'd tell them you alloted this day in your schedule..If it is going to be mowed, no problem but you need to know day before so you don't waste your time/fuel. Remind them you work out your route according to your accounts and locations. Like I said thou..'IF' you need the Work- Work it out that if they mow..they MUST inform you in advance- you can live with that..and it only is respectful on their part. If they don't call..and it is mowed, I'd charge 1/2 for your time and fuel. This should be talked to them about- better yet in contract. Personally- first time they mow without telling me- I'd ask why. Second time I'd charge 1/2. third time I'd leave a termination of service note..or call them and not look back. If you really don't need the work- I'd tell them either it's you or them. or at least you'll only mow when time permits unless they are comitted to you doing the mowing. Be careful Mike- don't stay for lunch if they invite you in. Trust me..I dealt with one as a teen-they can be persistant and some can be..well very good at manipulating. Bring the GF with you couple times to trim- then they'll know for sure know where you stand.

yardguy28
06-24-2010, 01:33 PM
this is similar to the ones i cut grass for that don't water or fert there lawn and about july, aug. it starts to dry out and doesn't always need it. i make every client call me a head of time if they don't want it cut for some reason. i give every client one time for me to pull up and leave if it doesn't need cutting. after that if they don't call me first i charge them a fuel charge for driving out there. most are very good about calling when they don't want it cut.

i would tell those guys to just call you when they want you to cut it. i have people like that. they cut it themselves normally but can't always get to it or don't want to. i just ask they give me a day or 2 notice so i can get them on the schedule.

Baytownlawncare
06-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I have a markup for one time mows. I would just forget it and if they call just charge them the extra fee for one time mow. This always discourages or encourages people to sign my service agreement or just pay extra or you get the "Man your rates are high" Then I say well I charge extra if you don't sign my service agreement. Service agreements have a way of weeding out the bad customers. My agreements spell out a day of the week for service, pricing, exactly what I am going to do and not do, and how i handle billing and late payments. There is never any confusion when you have a signed piece of paper. It will weed out the problem customers.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
i had a customer do that to me this year. now i have a problem collecting money from her.

if you continue to work for them dont bend over to tie your boot! jk

yardguy28
06-24-2010, 04:36 PM
I have a markup for one time mows. I would just forget it and if they call just charge them the extra fee for one time mow. This always discourages or encourages people to sign my service agreement or just pay extra or you get the "Man your rates are high" Then I say well I charge extra if you don't sign my service agreement. Service agreements have a way of weeding out the bad customers. My agreements spell out a day of the week for service, pricing, exactly what I am going to do and not do, and how i handle billing and late payments. There is never any confusion when you have a signed piece of paper. It will weed out the problem customers.

if i did service agreements that would work just great. but i don't. everything is word of mouth. as soon as you miss a payment service is suspended until payment is received and your turned over to a collection agency after that.

whosedog
06-24-2010, 04:54 PM
There are a lot of gay couples moving into an older neighborhood near me.They are well-heeled,many work in NYC theater district,and have lots of money to spend renovating their properties,(since they don't have kids).If you can work with them Mike,it could lead to more work for you as they usually do a lot of networking and have large social circles.Don't worry about them trying to get you to switch teams(as Seinfeld would say), they could care less about your orientation and they are everywhere today,many in high paying jobs.

sfddelta1
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM

this is what happens everytime one of those floozies starts poontaning around with those show folk fags :nono:

MikeKle
06-24-2010, 08:24 PM
You should have hired a gay guy to mow naked. You defiantly would still be doing it.

Actually there is a guy on craigslist that is offering naked house cleaning(interior), he states he is openly gay, but will work for anyone! I am just going to drop them, I dont want the hassle each week in trying to find out if they need me or not. It comes down to..you either want someone else to mow your lawn or you do it yourself, not a mixture of both.

Hell on Blades
06-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Send me the address and I will get them on a contract (mine, not yours). Those are the people I lock down first..

mowisme
06-24-2010, 08:46 PM
good decision Mike..looks to be a headache from the start.

Lbilawncare
06-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Sounds like the two guys I used to do work for.
Were there names by any chance Dick Beninyeh and Ben Dover ?

topsites
06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I can do per cut just fine but there's not going to be none of this "our lawn" stuff,
either they cut it or I do it, however they want it that's fine by me but if I show up
more than once and that thing is cut?

The first time it happens I do go to the door or call them to find out what happened,
I learned the hard way not to assume much, be nice about it and watch out because you never
can tell... But assuming that they did cut it like because someone "felt" like it?

After that if for whatever reason someone other than myself keeps cutting it, about the 2nd
or 3rd time I show up and that thing is already cut I just keep right on driving.

Just feels like someone's jerking me around, and maybe that's not what they
meant to do but the fact nobody ever called to let me know certainly isn't helping.
Like I'm the guy who WILL show JUST in case it needs it?
Folks must have an active imagination if they think that...

So either I cut it, or they do.