PDA

View Full Version : Ech srm-280t echo went downhill

mwh350
06-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Owned an ECHO SRM-280 not the T model prior to this new trimmer. Just bought the new one expecting the same quality. The old one is only about 3 years old BTW, but has lots of time on it. The New trimmer seems to be about the same, but the new PRO bump heads blow the big one compared to the older pro bump heads. The way that the string winds into it both strands take up the same chamber, and they have a tendancy to twist up, and get caught on each other. Then they don't feed. Also the head itself will not hold near as much string. For an almost $400 dollar trimmer I find that to be unacceptable. Called echo and told them That I think that it sucks that they would take what was a very well balanced nice piece of equipment and put a piece of crap barely home owner quality head on it so I can spend my time with my trimmer upside down untangling wire all day instead of trimming like I am suppossed to. Please send me an old head from your older model trimmers.
The lady was very nice and is sending me an old head to replace it with. Anyone else had similar experiences.

MOturkey
06-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I just bought a new 265T two weeks ago, and the head was identical to those I've used for the past 10 years?

fredmullegun
06-24-2010, 12:14 PM
I have the 280T also. I reloaded the head once before it was replaced with a SpeedFeed 450

soloscaperman
06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
How are the echo's these days? Still cheap feeling, uneven weight, too much weigh versus power, does it still shock your elbow??

mwh350
06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
How are the echo's these days? Still cheap feeling, uneven weight, too much weigh versus power, does it still shock your elbow??

I have only run the new Orange models and I would have to say that as far as balance and power goes I am way impressed. I am 6'4" and 260 so the weight of the trimmer doesn't really matter to me. Other than the fact that I spend half the time untangling the line I really like it. Also I am sure that it isn't because I wound it incorrectly as I have just finished the factory installed line.

Alan0354
06-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Change to the SpeedFeed head and you all be happy!!!:waving:

mwh350
06-24-2010, 01:31 PM
I ordered a speed feed head today. If I like how it performs I will be buying the shindy the next time to begin with. Just don't see having a purchase that is that expensive not function right. However after watching the video on the speed feed head maybe I am glad that it didn't work out. The speed loading feature looks super nice to me.

Alan0354
06-24-2010, 02:01 PM
If you know the exact length and pre cut the string and put in your pocket, winding it on is like less than a minute job. Just align the arrow, put the string through, pull to equal length on each side and twist the head. AND you are done!!!!

genesis215
06-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Yep, get the Shindaiwa speed feed universal 450 and your problem will be solved! BTW, how is the new T model as far as power compared to the old 280? Do you notice a difference in the head speed? Very curious as I have been looking at getting either a 280S or a 280T sometime in the future and wasn't sure which one to go with.

grassman177
06-24-2010, 09:22 PM
the new orange echo trimmers( we use the 280T) are very balanced and powerful. no issues yet

Ramairfreak98ss
06-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Ive seen one of the echos hes talking about with the head like that and yeah i didnt know why it wasnt like a stihl or redmax with it only having one spool chamber inside for line...

There is some company that sells JUST the heads that holds like 3x more than any manufacturer on the market, theyre like $40 for the heads, i wish i remembered the name, they have a booth at the GIE show in KY every year though. I keep meaning to order a couple to try out.

ed2hess
06-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Put a Honda bump head on ...$25 and works just fine. Pass on the speed head you wil have to carry spare cord in our jeans the rest of your life.

Alan0354
06-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Put a Honda bump head on ...$25 and works just fine. Pass on the speed head you wil have to carry spare cord in our jeans the rest of your life.

No!!! I got the Honda trimmer, there is no way you can compare the Honda head to the SpeedFeed head. The Honda head don't have a divider, you have to stick your finger between the two string when winding to keep it separate so it won't bind and jam. I have problem with the Honda head and that is part of the reason it is a wall flower now.

Hell on Blades
06-25-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm using the little SRM 210, 5 years old and runs like a champ. I simply carry extra pre-strung spools. chose it because of the lack of weight and ok power for what I do. Occasionally have to walk 200+ yards to get to the work area.