PDA

View Full Version : ztr vs. standing

pnuzum
06-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I am a one man operation, and thinking about switching from a ztr to a Grandstand. Should I expect to be significantly more fatigued at the end of the day from standing and riding, instead of sitting on the ztr?

All_Toro_4ME
06-24-2010, 12:43 PM
It's possible. Your knees and ankles take a lot of the impact. You may be sore at first until you get use to it.

KyleOH
06-24-2010, 12:50 PM
I would say that would be a no brainer....stand up in the corner for 2 hours then sit on a chair for 2 and see what makes you more tired lol

unkownfl
06-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Depends on how long per job you're standing. I find the stander easier because I constantly have to get off and on my rider to open gates, pick up toys, garbage etc. Now going to a sulky vs a stander is a big difference. If you have 20 min mow jobs all day long I don't think you'll notice much of a difference.

xi_bowhunter
06-24-2010, 01:09 PM
I have both. I would rather stand because sitting and bouncing makes my back ache. To me, the stander is much more comfortable.

delphied
06-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I have both as well. I use the 48 GS on smaller and medium lots. At one stop I mow 3 mediums at one stretch. Takes a little over an hour on the GS and Im not tired. At another stop I mow with the 66 Lazer(sit down) for around 3 hours. Im beat but would still want to sit for it rather than stand. The GS is great for small lots and the sit down is great for large. Thats why I have both.

FastMan
06-24-2010, 03:40 PM
When I get home from a day that required me to spend a lot of time on my sit down ZTR I feel like I've been lazy. Nothing feels the least bit tired or sore. It's like I've done nothing at all. I demo'd a few standers last year, and I can't imagine feeling the same after riding them all day. Legs are constantly engaged,,, arms too from holding on.

A little more exercise is not necessarily a bad thing, and the standers do provide better maneuverability in tight spaces. And, as some of the guys around here say, the sitter can be harder on backs, though I've never experienced any issues in that department, and I've operated sitters for years.

Really comes down to a personal preference decision.

John_99_2007
06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to buy a cool new machine.

BCR840
08-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I have a stander and also use it for small to medium yards. Im not sore after the small yards, but on large uneven lots I seem to stay engaged more. I do get sore trying to hold on for life, especially on these steep Ga hills. I am currently trying to decide if i want to change to a sitdown myself. I get sore knees and ankles, and back on full days. Hope that helps.

Martinson9
08-07-2010, 12:01 AM
I wonder if everyone posting here realizes the GS does not have a fixed operator platform. On rough lawns I think the GS is the way to go. The platform and your knees can significantly reduce the impact of the bumps. Our G3 does a really good job with it's new "floating" seat.

If I could only have one machine to cut with it would be our GrandStand.