PDA

View Full Version : Grass identification?

daman
06-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Guys from these pics whats your best guess on this grass type? this is 90% of the lawn along with some wider stuff crab grass I'd say, thanks..

Grass is located in Northern Michigan in the thumb

RigglePLC
06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
A mixture. Mostly rye, because rye has a sharply pointed tip. Bluegrass is slightly more blunt and more boat shaped.
The third picture has some bluegrass in it because it has some leafspot fungus disease (rye doesnt get this disease). Since it is a severe case of leafspot (melting out), it must be one of the cheaper, old-fashioned varieties, like Newport or Parade. If you really want to know--it will go to seed in a few days. Just let part of it go unmowed for a week or two. The seed heads are completly different.

daman
06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks these were a few different shots around the yard not all in one spot,so rye huh? sounds like an uncommon grass???

the lawn probably has been patched over the years,what helps with leafspot?

RigglePLC
06-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Ryegrass is not uncommon any more. It is contained in almost every seed mixture in the last 25 years. But the newer types and cultivars are far superior to the old-fashioned breeds.
Leafspot is best controlled by using modern disease resistant seed. But damage is minor. The only other option is to spray a fungicide about 6 times per year. (Every year.)

daman
06-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Ahhh wow under stood,,again thank you...

mdlwn1
06-25-2010, 08:03 AM
A mixture. Mostly rye, because rye has a sharply pointed tip. Bluegrass is slightly more blunt and more boat shaped.
The third picture has some bluegrass in it because it has some leafspot fungus disease (rye doesnt get this disease). Since it is a severe case of leafspot (melting out), it must be one of the cheaper, old-fashioned varieties, like Newport or Parade. If you really want to know--it will go to seed in a few days. Just let part of it go unmowed for a week or two. The seed heads are completly different.

1. KBG in all pics.....sure some rye is in there as well.
2. No melting out is going on there.."severe case".WTF?:hammerhead:
3."it must be the cheaper variety"...c'mon..nuff said......
4."rye doesnt get this disease"....ummmm....ok...lol
5. "mostly rye"....even if it was mostly rye the day it was planted...it would be mostly blue after 2 years if there is ANY sun...........jeez!

daman
06-25-2010, 08:06 AM
1. KBG in all pics.....sure some rye is in there as well.
2. No melting out is going on there.."severe case".WTF?:hammerhead:
3."it must be the cheaper variety"...c'mon..nuff said......
4."rye doesnt get this disease"....ummmm....ok...lol
5. "mostly rye"....even if it was mostly rye the day it was planted...it would be mostly blue after 2 years if there is ANY sun...........jeez!
Hmmm,ok what kind of grass is it then? from what you can see? i need to know for spray purpose,thanks.

mdlwn1
06-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Holy crap!...spray 6 times a year?......dude....I respect you, but sometimes you go off on some wierd recomendations based on incorrect information. Those pics are prolly 80%+ KBG...if not more. Secondly....you can find leaf spot in just about any lawn in the north at any activly growing time. Unless you are on a golf course, 6x fungicide a year is just about something one never need to do. Creating a sterile situation is usually a last resort. THIS IS COMMON and doesnt mean much of anything. Im almost tired of seeing these posts this time of year and the responses they generate. Just like ants....you will always have some kind of fungus in the lawn....when they begin to overburden...you deal with it...wich is more of an art than science.

daman
06-25-2010, 08:19 AM
I don't care about the fungus it'll survive always have just needed to know what type grass and boy mostly KBG? thats sounds not good.

Kiril
06-25-2010, 08:29 AM
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/index.html

daman
06-25-2010, 08:37 AM
I looked at them type links yes still confused, thats why i posted and asked you pro's,im not one.

Kiril
06-25-2010, 08:48 AM
I looked at them type links yes still confused, thats why i posted and asked you pro's,im not one.

Use the link to ID the grass, or find a key. The pics posted are not sufficient to get a positive ID, even if the two guesses proffered are most likely correct (KBG/Perennial Rye mix)

daman
06-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks,studying,working at it...

JFGauvreau
06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/index.html

that's a nice website, very helpful :)

RigglePLC
06-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Sorry to disagree with some people. Diffucult to identify from a photograph; I think it is mostly perennial ryegrass. No need to spray for the small amount of leafspot present (on the KBG). However if it is an old lawn and been patched and reseeded from time to time, it will probably have a variable mixture of the two, and maybe fine fescue and tall fescue, also.
If it is KBG, it will have white underground runners called rhizomes. Perennial rye doesn't have rhizomes. Or wait for the seedheads to be visible, easy to identify the seed heads.
No need to tell the difference. Just treat it with a top-quality slow-release fertilizer, plenty of water and weed control as needed.

jsf343
06-26-2010, 12:47 AM
is it just me or does it look like the blades on your mower really need to be sharpened? looks like the turf is being torn. Not being a smarty, just an observation.

daman
06-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Yea i seen that too but blades look pretty good,guess i could touch em up some,thanks.

Magna-Matic
06-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Hello All,

Regarding the sharp blade, remember when resharpening to bring the TIPS of the mower blade back, so that the cutting tooth tips of the blade are pointed again. Look at a new blade for reference.

Info here:
http://www.magna-matic.com/pdf/2008_geometry.pdf
General Educational info here also:
http://www.magna-matic.com/page/blade-education

The natural wear pattern of a blade is for the tips to become rounded after approx. 8-12 mowing hours, when the tip is rounded you'll be tearing the grass rather than cutting. Often people think of a mower blade like a sword or knife and sharpen to a very fine edge following the radius where the tip was, and pay no attention to the angle. The pointed tip is the more critical part of the blade, and remember blades are measured from tip to tip diagonally when their length is specified. When the tips are rounded your blades are shorter than intended, which is one of the most common reasons strips of grass get left behind. People will neglect the tip and sharpen the edge, and see no benefit, but think the blades are sharp.

Thank you,

daman
06-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Wow great information thanks,i'll recheck mine.

jsf343
06-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Hello All,

Regarding the sharp blade, remember when resharpening to bring the TIPS of the mower blade back, so that the cutting tooth tips of the blade are pointed again. Look at a new blade for reference.

Info here:
http://www.magna-matic.com/pdf/2008_geometry.pdf
General Educational info here also:
http://www.magna-matic.com/page/blade-education

The natural wear pattern of a blade is for the tips to become rounded after approx. 8-12 mowing hours, when the tip is rounded you'll be tearing the grass rather than cutting. Often people think of a mower blade like a sword or knife and sharpen to a very fine edge following the radius where the tip was, and pay no attention to the angle. The pointed tip is the more critical part of the blade, and remember blades are measured from tip to tip diagonally when their length is specified. When the tips are rounded your blades are shorter than intended, which is one of the most common reasons strips of grass get left behind. People will neglect the tip and sharpen the edge, and see no benefit, but think the blades are sharp.

Thank you,

don't want to hijack... can you Pm me a price for your blade sharpener?

Thanks

Magna-Matic
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Hello,

All pricing information on all of our products and parts is available online.
Feel free to call 800-328-1110 with detailed questions of application. or specs.

www.magna-matic-direct.com

Thank you,