PDA

View Full Version : sick and working

yardguy28
06-24-2010, 01:19 PM
who works when they are sick and who doesn't?

for those that don't is there anything special or different you do to catch up or is it just like rain days that put you behind?

preferably solo guys.

i'm solo and tues night i became sicker than hell and was out all day yesterday and i'm still out today. i called up my wed. people and cancelled all but one that wouldn't let me. and 2 that are bi weekly that i couldn't cause it would throw off my bi weekly's and be major long.

the real reason i cancelled them is because my grandmother also passed away tues and the funeral is sat. so i won't have saturday to catch up. i know all the sheot hit the fan all at once.

i'm curious what others would do in this type of situation? if i were just sick i would have obvisouly treated it as just being behind because of a couple days of rain and kept on trucking working through the weekend.

so i'm looking for ideas.......

All_Toro_4ME
06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
sorry to hear your grandmother passed. If I get sick in the summer then I put the mowing off a few days. I don't usually tell the customers I'm ill or anything like that because they dont care. They just want their property mowed. So I'll tell them I had to reschedule them because of the recent rain we had a few days ago or the previous week. Just have to triple up on the day you schedule them for to get caught back up.

punt66
06-24-2010, 02:36 PM
You would have to decapitate me to keep me from work. I was back to work the 3rd day after a major abdominal surgery. That was may 27th.

Richard Martin
06-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I worked all of 2008 with a 90% blocked left anterior decending artery. It's nickname is The Widow Maker. It was definately letting me know there was a problem but circumstances beyond my control prevented it from being repaired immediately. All of this year I've been working in fairly severe hip pain caused by a nerve being pinched due to my L-5 slipping off of my tailbone. Short of surgery there's little that can be done for me.

Suck it up and go to work.

Just kidding. You should never work if you feel as though you are compromising safety or health. My situation should not be used as an example. I was terribly lucky that the Widow Maker didn't make a widow of my wife.

yardguy28
06-24-2010, 04:45 PM
sorry to hear your grandmother passed. If I get sick in the summer then I put the mowing off a few days. I don't usually tell the customers I'm ill or anything like that because they dont care. They just want their property mowed. So I'll tell them I had to reschedule them because of the recent rain we had a few days ago or the previous week. Just have to triple up on the day you schedule them for to get caught back up.

if we actually had any rain that i could have blamed it on i would have. we've been getting pretty hammered with rain this season but of all the weeks to get sick i had to pick one of the driest.

thing is i don't get sick very often at all. haven't been sick for years. then all of a sudden i'm down for 2 days in a row. you don't know how much i prayed for rain while i was in bed trying to think of which clients to cancel or what to tell them.

like i said i was able to cancel all but 3 of my wed clients and 2 of those i didn't even bother calling because they are bi weekly. if i skip them this week it'll be so tall by the next scheduled mowing. i have my bi weeklys set up on alternate weeks so doing them this up coming week isn't possible. the one guy that wouldn't let me cancel is an @sshole. told him i've been sick for 2 days plus i had a death in the family could i cancel and come next week. this is a pita yard mind you. it sees no water except rain water and no fert. it's a weed patch. "it's already crazy long, it won't last another week". basically he told me his lawn was more important than my health and my family in times of the loss of a loved one.

oh well. i've found some help for tomorrow. gonna knock out what i can tomorrow and the rest on sun. funeral is sat and since it's out of town there isn't any working before or after the funeral.

it's not like i haven't been behind before. i just always have the weather to blame it on and you don't need to explain why your behind to people because they know it rained. but when it's been nice and sunny all week clients think you've been out working all week and are on schedule. most are understanding but theres always those few that aren't.

LwnmwrMan22
06-24-2010, 05:09 PM
I've never been so sick I was totally out. Maybe only did 1/2 of the list, or 3-4 yards, but still drug my body around.

The summer I broke my foot, I worked the week before surgery, found someone to trim for me, I rode the ZTR with my foot on a bucket.

I was laid up for a week after surgery. Over the years I've gotten to be fairly decent friends with a couple of the LCOs in the area.

The week before the surgery, I told all my customers what had happened.

Most said sorry to hear that, and that they probably wouldn't have even known it wasn't me mowing.

I farmed out 1/2 the yards for a week, mowed after that on crutches.

punt66
06-24-2010, 07:04 PM
I've never been so sick I was totally out. Maybe only did 1/2 of the list, or 3-4 yards, but still drug my body around.

The summer I broke my foot, I worked the week before surgery, found someone to trim for me, I rode the ZTR with my foot on a bucket.

I was laid up for a week after surgery. Over the years I've gotten to be fairly decent friends with a couple of the LCOs in the area.

The week before the surgery, I told all my customers what had happened.

Most said sorry to hear that, and that they probably wouldn't have even known it wasn't me mowing.

I farmed out 1/2 the yards for a week, mowed after that on crutches.
sounds like me. I told my clients about my surgery a week prior to warn of a possible delay in service. The ones that were home all greeted me before my surgery and told me not to worry about some grass. Yea right. thats green gold hahah. I was back after 3 days and the same clients came out yelling at me telling me to go home. hahah i just laughed and continued to work while they shook their head in disbelief. What can i say. I have french canadian in me.

Charles
06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
The only time I missed work is when I had food poisoning and had to stay close to a bathroom ie don't eat the sliced roast beef in some grocery stores:cry:

LawnGuy35
06-24-2010, 08:14 PM
I came down with a pretty bad summer cold Monday (it's been in the freaking 90's all week...UGH!!). Yesterday it settled in my chest. Today I only had 5 lawns to mow, so I took it slow and drank 16 ounces of water after every lawn...and after every other lawn also drank one of those CranErgy (cranberry energy drink). Also brought along a huge container of mixed fruits and took some Tylenol daytime cold stuff.

It wasn't too bad, but I sure was dragging. By the way, I f-ing hate summer colds! Come to think of it, I hate colds, period.

clydebusa
06-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Well, I have a couple of friends that are LCO's and we help each other out. If you need help send a request here and you might get your lawns done.

MikeKle
06-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Ive missed a few days here and there, but what I found out is 95% of my customers could care less when I come mow it!! I called all the ones I was going to be late on, and they said I didnt have to do that, and to come whenever I want to, and they didnt mind at all if I was a few days late! It surprised the hell out of me, I thought they would be upset. I have come to believe most people dont care about their grass unless it is getting knee high!!! A few days extra growth isnt going to matter that much, but what I am most concerned about is the missed cutting it will lead to.

All_Toro_4ME
06-25-2010, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=yardguy28;3617836
the one guy that wouldn't let me cancel is an @sshole. told him i've been sick for 2 days plus i had a death in the family could i cancel and come next week. this is a pita yard mind you. it sees no water except rain water and no fert. it's a weed patch. "it's already crazy long, it won't last another week". basically he told me his lawn was more important than my health and my family in times of the loss of a loved one. [/QUOTE]

Is he really worth keeping on your schedule then? Sounds like a heartless s.o.b. to me. He's replaceable.

All_Toro_4ME
06-25-2010, 09:04 AM
like i said i was able to cancel all but 3 of my wed clients and 2 of those i didn't even bother calling because they are bi weekly. if i skip them this week it'll be so tall by the next scheduled mowing. i have my bi weeklys set up on alternate weeks so doing them this up coming week isn't possible. the one guy that wouldn't let me cancel is an @sshole. told him i've been sick for 2 days plus i had a death in the family could i cancel and come next week. this is a pita yard mind you. it sees no water except rain water and no fert. it's a weed patch. "it's already crazy long, it won't last another week". basically he told me his lawn was more important than my health and my family in times of the loss of a loved one.

Is he really worth keeping on your schedule then? Sounds pretty heartless to me. I'm sure he's replaceable.

MikeKle
06-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Just tell him to get lost, he will have a hard time finding someone else, so you can laugh about that a little bit!! I had a guy that wanted me to mow his on thursday every week, no matter what, and one thursday, it rained and thundered from morning to late afternoon, and he still expected me there that day, needless to say, he mows his own grass now. These people arent worth keeping, after all, it is only grass, most people dont pay any attention to it.

lawnkingforever
06-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I just broke the bone above my pinky finger. Got the cast on today, luckily I don't mow Mondays, so I will cut the cast off Tuesday morning if I can't line up some help. I have worked with worse.

YardFarmersLLC
06-25-2010, 01:21 PM
I work sick or well. I was recently in the hospital and back at work the next day. A year and a half ago I had mono and meningitis and worked the whole time except for one week my spleen and liver were about to rupture (The mono and meningitis lasted ten months). I worked with food poisoning last year.

I go crazy setting around.

YardFarmersLLC
06-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Is he really worth keeping on your schedule then? Sounds pretty heartless to me. I'm sure he's replaceable.

I would tell him to get lost in a very professional way.

yardguy28
06-25-2010, 04:51 PM
you guys who work sick or work partial days sick i don't know how you do it. i'm talking sick like i had to be in the bathroom every 5 min. sheoting and puking my guts out. if all i had was a head cold i would have trucked on the best i could.

but i'm talking about so sick you just can't work. thats how sick i was.

lined up some help and got all but 3 knocked out today.

YardFarmersLLC
06-25-2010, 06:13 PM
you guys who work sick or work partial days sick i don't know how you do it. i'm talking sick like i had to be in the bathroom every 5 min. sheoting and puking my guts out. if all i had was a head cold i would have trucked on the best i could.

but i'm talking about so sick you just can't work. thats how sick i was.

lined up some help and got all but 3 knocked out today.

If you can't get away from the bathroom, then stay home. I don't go out that bad.

I had recently been having mini seizures, so I always rode with someone and went down to weed eating or shoveling. Anything but run equipment. I worked till I had a seizure, slept it off, went back to work. Now my medicine is fixed though.

MikeKle
06-25-2010, 07:04 PM
If you can't get away from the bathroom, then stay home. I don't go out that bad.

I had recently been having mini seizures, so I always rode with someone and went down to weed eating or shoveling. Anything but run equipment. I worked till I had a seizure, slept it off, went back to work. Now my medicine is fixed though.

It wasnt Ultram/Tramadol you were having seizures on..was it? I only ask because I had a few while taking that drug, busted my head open on a concrete floor once, and when I woke up, I could not remember anything, my name, my ex-wifes name, the president, etc. it was very scary to not know anything like that.

yardguy28
06-26-2010, 05:28 AM
well i know us solo guys are pretty much stuck when we are sick. its not like we have a crew of employees who can do the work for us while we're out.

i was just thinking the 2 days i was out sick and it got me wondering what the other solo's do.

it also just seems everything happened at once. all in the same week i get sick for 2 days straight when i haven't been sick for years and a death in the family.

it's been a nice week too. i kept praying for rain the whole time i was laying in bed and in the bathroom so i wouldn't have to call clients and explain the situation.

thank god for parents. me and my dad went out yesterday and knocked all but a few out that i'll do this morning.