PDA

View Full Version : Green black coating on ground

b33tl3
06-24-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a back yard that was sodded with bermuda a few years ago and this year it looks horrible. The back does get some shade but I think it gets plenty of sun during the day.
This year a lot of the grass is gone and I have this green/black film over the dirt.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1165/4730909532_0b66ea6060_b.jpg

Any ideas what this is? This yard is having tons of problems. The front has a bad fungus problem I am trying to fight and you can see the grassy weed in the pic that is taking over the back now.

coolluv
06-25-2010, 04:32 PM
You have a drainage problem. Does water stay in this spot for long periods after it rains? The people that put the sod down probably didn't shoot grades to check for drainage. That's right illegal Mexicans don't know how to shoot grades. When you had the sod laid did you get the company (and I use that term loosely) off of craigslist? Were they the lowest bid?

You get what you pay for.

Dave...

b33tl3
06-25-2010, 04:42 PM
You have a drainage problem. Does water stay in this spot for long periods after it rains?
Dave...

There is a good slope here but it appears the sod was layer directly over hard GA clay so the soil doesn't drain well.

I've told the owner to cut back on the sprinklers. Any other ideas on how to save this or we looking at re-sodding and amending the soil?

coolluv
06-25-2010, 04:57 PM
You have to fix the problem first. Re sod = same Re sult.

Dave..

gunsnroses
06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
We need some more pics, and good pics that may tell a story. It could be 20 different things causing the wetness. Something tells me sumptin silly is going on here.............If you know how to work an irrigation clock, look at it, you may have multiple start times or % is jacked, or program B comes on for an hour. You and Mr.homeowner need to have a come to Jesus meeting about the water schedule. Hard to say, but that would be first in my book. Water is problem #1, but I bet you have other problems now because of it. Just remember your roots are nil, and whatever you apply to help fix it can become a new problem. more is not better. If you figure it out quick and push it all season, it may fill in.

b33tl3
06-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Gunsnroses
I think I found the problem. It's over the septic drain field. They don;t think the tank has been pumped in at least 6 years. I hope this is the problem because the yard was great last year and this just started happening this year.

I think the area will need to be re-sodded to get it back to the original look.

RigglePLC
06-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Green black slime is probably algae. You need less shade and better drainage. Area is probably too shady for Bermuda. Sod people should have told you that. You probably cannot grow any grass in the shady area. Ground cover is the next best choice.

44DCNF
06-27-2010, 10:42 PM
You can treat the algae but you will still need to correct the conditions that are allowing it's growth, or those that were not favorable to the grass. When the algae grows, it smothers the crowns of the grass plants and can wipe them out.
Treat the algae. Correct the compaction, overly wet condition or poor drainage, poor sunlight, poor air circulation, and/or overfertilization. Aerate the areas. Thin overhead canopies to allow dappled light in, and any hedges, shrubs or other plantings that may impede airflow across the lawn. Bring low areas to grade so they drain.