PDA

View Full Version : The one thing I hate about this business

TennisBum
06-24-2010, 04:32 PM
It's only June and already dry as a desert. Found 2 yards to cut Today. It's 99 degrees. No significant rainfall in over a month. None in the forecast. Very depressing. Thank God for the weedy lawns. Time to push other services.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-24-2010, 04:48 PM
hell it rains here everyday it seems like. it did for a while anyway.

razor1
06-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Hot & dry here too. The only good thing about a dry spell...it may reduce the competition for next year. Although with 10% + unemployment we may not notice.

tmetz
06-24-2010, 05:45 PM
I'll send some of our rain up your way, at least we can plan around our rain. Everyday the rains come off the everglades between 3 - 4 PM and usually last till 5 or 6 PM.

I just try and get the lawns done early and be done by 2 or 3 :)

CTmower
06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
I had my first customer of the year ask to switch to Bi weekly cutting. I said no problem but the cost will go from $40 to $60. The lawn will take me twice as long every other week so we'll see how long she lasts on bi weekly.

meicher806
06-24-2010, 07:05 PM
hell it rains here everyday it seems like. it did for a while anyway.

No crap, sounds like we have today and tomorrow with out rain. then 2 more days of rain again... I hope this pulls into winter so we can get some good plowing in...

YardFarmersLLC
06-24-2010, 07:26 PM
It is hot and dry in Kentucky too! We did get a thunder storm today, but it dries up in no time.

Charles
06-24-2010, 07:31 PM
2 weeks of 95+ degree dry weather can make warm season grasses go dormant and kill fescue. Really frustrating that good rains can be negated by a heat wave. Happens every year in SC. We have had mid 90s + since early May. 93 right now.

Richard Martin
06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
2 weeks of 95+ degree dry weather can make warm season grasses go dormant and kill fescue.

Tell me about it. 550 pounds of Lesco TriGold tall fescue burned up. I also think this has a lot to do with my difficulty in obtaining new customers. I only got 2 calls from 800 flyers. Why pay someone to cut the grass if it's not going to grow?

Hell on Blades
06-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Plenty of rain here last week -- Northern Kentucky -- Had to double cut all my yards this week.

MileHigh
06-24-2010, 09:52 PM
If you hate that...go get some commercial work...It's every week no matter what!

Anyways...All my clients know that I mow from this date, to this date..I can't control the weather but I can show up every week.

No complaints.

YardFarmersLLC
06-24-2010, 10:01 PM
If you hate that...go get some commercial work...It's every week no matter what!

Anyways...All my clients know that I mow from this date, to this date..I can't control the weather but I can show up every week.

No complaints.

I love contract work (which makes up all but two or three accounts). It gets done no matter what.

Plus, the dry weather means weeds take over, then I get to spray the weeds, and power seed new grass. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Columbia Care
06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Hot and dry in Middle Tennessee. Had over 20 inches of rain in May and very little in June. Last good soaking rain was on June 4th. Ground is cracking open, Fescue lawns are dead. Only good thing is 1/2 my yards are Bermuda. Between Bermuda and Crabgrass, it is keeping my mowers running.

Southern Pride
06-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Man, I pray for rain while im cutting averaging 97-98 not counting humidity. I hear you though, from a legit LCO point of view, rain is noo good.

MikeKle
06-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Plenty of rain here last week -- Northern Kentucky -- Had to double cut all my yards this week.

I had to double cut some of mine too, but I did notice yesterday some of the yards didnt grow that much last week, and some are even going brown already, if we dont get a decent rain this week, I will probably switch to 10day cuts or longer. I was hoping it wouldnt come to this.

TennisBum
06-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Man, I pray for rain while im cutting averaging 97-98 not counting humidity. I hear you though, from a legit LCO point of view, rain is noo good.

Not sure what you mean by legit. I'm licensed, insured and a certified applicator. I'm pretty sure rain is a good thing.

Southern Pride
06-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Legit, meaning licensed, insured, certified and busy trying to get them all done without rain getting in the way. Sure rain is good, but if it gets in the way of getting done, its bad. I got rained out today as a matter of fact. Did 1 zero lot line and the bottom fell out :/

TimsLawnCareVA
06-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Rain, what's that? Forgot what it looked like since it has been so long since I have seen any. Going on week 3 without a drop and been in the 90's all week. Yesterday it was 102 and calling for 101 on Sunday with no rain in the forcast. Out of 48 lawns we only cut 21 this week, the rest were brown with no growth. Not looking good at all!

TennisBum
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Legit, meaning licensed, insured, certified and busy trying to get them all done without rain getting in the way. Sure rain is good, but if it gets in the way of getting done, its bad. I got rained out today as a matter of fact. Did 1 zero lot line and the bottom fell out :/

Which would you prefer?

1. Some rain. Even alot of rain and grass growing. Work to do.

2. No rain at all. No grass to cut. No work.

abraham
06-26-2010, 12:57 AM
perfect mix of rain and sun in yo. oh. push tree shrub and hedge trimming always keeps me busy

TennisBum
06-26-2010, 02:40 AM
perfect mix of rain and sun in yo. oh. push tree shrub and hedge trimming always keeps me busy

Yes sir. That is my plan. Glad to hear you are blessed with good weather.

Southern Pride
07-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Which would you prefer?

1. Some rain. Even alot of rain and grass growing. Work to do.

2. No rain at all. No grass to cut. No work.

We're both trying to make two different points. Two different arguments but sure I get what you're saying. They did invent this thing called the sprinkler though :)