PDA

View Full Version : weeds in St Augustine lawn

Sweet Tater
06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
I am working wiht a lady trying to get this account, she has asked me what this weed is in her St Augustine grass and what to use to get rid of it. She will be applying as I am not lic to do it. just need a little help on what to suggest to her

dgw
06-24-2010, 08:35 PM
creeping charlie

broadleaf herbicide

dgw
06-24-2010, 08:55 PM
that looks like fescue

dgw
06-24-2010, 10:23 PM
trimec.....

ed2hess
06-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Weed-B-Gone....HomeDepot.

Keith
06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Many St. Augustine varieties are extremely sensitive to many herbicides. I would hesitate to recommend anything. Trimec can do a lot of damage to St. Augustine. Tell her what the weed is, and let someone else recommend a product to use. If she kills the grass, it's on the other guy.

unkownfl
06-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Let it grow out. Put some fert on it and let it grow to about 8 inches and cut it back to 5 for awhile it will choke it out.

Firefighter337
06-24-2010, 11:17 PM
What about lock-up? Granular, she could buy from a local fert and squirt house.

Another option would be the end of the hose weed spray "safe for all lawns" 'kills 150 different weeds" from home depot or lowes. A few of my customers use it and live by it.

Knight511
06-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Let it grow out. Put some fert on it and let it grow to about 8 inches and cut it back to 5 for awhile it will choke it out.

Second this... raise the mower. Let the St. Augustne grow taller to shade the soil better, water and feed the lawn... the augustine will choke it out in time.

81Bronk36
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Scotts Bonus S will take care of that stuff. Not professional but I used it on my own lawn with excellent results for 2 years.

DennisF
06-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Looks like dollar weed. It's caused by overwatering. Spray it with atrazine and wait about 3 days. It may take two applications.

Sweet Tater
06-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Weed-B-Gone....HomeDepot.

the label on weed b gone says not to use on St augustine ;)

Sweet Tater
06-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Looks like dollar weed. It's caused by overwatering. Spray it with atrazine and wait about 3 days. It may take two applications.

I thought so too, but the dollar weed we had in Florida didnt have the ruffled edge :confused:

fredmullegun
06-26-2010, 11:20 PM

I have done it you just have to go with half strength.

I don't suggest it though because mowed and fertilized properly St. Aug will choke out almost anything. Crabgrass takes a while for it to overtake though.

jvanvliet
06-27-2010, 06:29 AM
quicksilver and blade; Trimec will eat the St. Augustine in this heat, in fact almost any weed control agent could present a problem. Best bet quick silver & blade combination;

.034OZ. (1 ML) quicksilver per 1, 000 sq. ft.
.0125 ounce Blade per 1,000 sq. ft.

Calibrate your back pack sprayer to do 1,000 sqf per gallon.

Make sure you haven't sprayed round up with the sprayer or some other herbicide even small residuals will kill the St. Augustine.

To calibrate the sprayer, measure out a 10 X 100 ft area on a parking lot and fill your sprayer with 1 gallon of water (from a one gallon jug, don't trust the hash marks on the
sprayer)

Walk backwards and spray the measured area... if you run out too soon, tighten the nozzle a hair for a finer spray and try again, if you have left over, loosen the nozzle a hair for a coarser spray and do it again until you get it right (there is is some small tolerence for a tiny bit over or under) It is well worth the effort since you now have a calibrated backpack you can use for other applications that call for X per 1,000 sqf, or Y per acre (you just do the math to come up with the per 1,000 sqf ratio).

I usually mix a 4 gallon tank, it's not that difficult; get used to spraying walking backwards so you don't track the stuff over other areas of the lawn.

Don't make any suggestions about HD crap, or weed begone because most of it contains 2-4-d. 2-4-d will burn the chit out of the lawn in this weather.

Best bet is not make any suggestions other than call a pro. OTC stuff is generally useless, homeowners will put on too much because they are inpatient (if one is good, ten is better) the weather is hot making herbicide application dangerous for burning the lawn.

Less water and a shot of some organic liquid nitrogen to the area will put the st. Augustine on steriods real fast and choke off the broadleaf.

BTW whoever said fescue should look up fescue on wikepedia. This is what fescue looks like:

jvanvliet
06-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Oh, by the way... up in your neck of the great Dixie nation, it's probably "Common mallow" :waving:

jvanvliet
06-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Could be "ground ivy" also... sorry they look alike. the above formula should work on either, just be sure to apply in the cool of the morning and add a tiny bit of LI700 (cheap and effective) or some other non-ionic surfucant

yamadooski
06-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Why do others from other areas of the country answer questions from other parts of the area?
I mean really, does the guy up north know anything about St Augustine grass?
One guy said spray round up or weed be gone. C'mon...gee wiz leave the correct answers for someone that actually lives in that zone and has that type horticulture.
I would never answer a question for someone from another area unless I had my fact straight.
I would love to put up picture of a not so well known palm and see all the different answers from guys from areas that dont even grow palms.

rob7233
06-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Could be "ground ivy" also... sorry they look alike. the above formula should work on either, just be sure to apply in the cool of the morning and add a tiny bit of LI700 (cheap and effective) or some other non-ionic surfucant

If in our area (9b) this would likely be Ground Ivy/Glechoma hederacea. It appears to be very similiar. However, it is still a broadleaf weed. The "Bigbox" safe and effective treatment of infested area only, include Atrazine applied at label rates at less stressful times of the day that would lead to more contact time due to decreased evaporation rates etc. DO NOT use any combo products that contain 2,4,D no matter what the label says! No 2, 4,D on any St. Augustine.

dgw
06-27-2010, 08:14 AM
ground ivy is creeping charlie

dgw
06-27-2010, 08:30 AM
quicksilver and blade; Trimec will eat the St. Augustine in this heat, in fact almost any weed control agent could present a problem. Best bet quick silver & blade combination;

.034OZ. (1 ML) quicksilver per 1, 000 sq. ft.
.0125 ounce Blade per 1,000 sq. ft.

Calibrate your back pack sprayer to do 1,000 sqf per gallon.

Make sure you haven't sprayed round up with the sprayer or some other herbicide even small residuals will kill the St. Augustine.

To calibrate the sprayer, measure out a 10 X 100 ft area on a parking lot and fill your sprayer with 1 gallon of water (from a one gallon jug, don't trust the hash marks on the
sprayer)

Walk backwards and spray the measured area... if you run out too soon, tighten the nozzle a hair for a finer spray and try again, if you have left over, loosen the nozzle a hair for a coarser spray and do it again until you get it right (there is is some small tolerence for a tiny bit over or under) It is well worth the effort since you now have a calibrated backpack you can use for other applications that call for X per 1,000 sqf, or Y per acre (you just do the math to come up with the per 1,000 sqf ratio).

I usually mix a 4 gallon tank, it's not that difficult; get used to spraying walking backwards so you don't track the stuff over other areas of the lawn.

Don't make any suggestions about HD crap, or weed begone because most of it contains 2-4-d. 2-4-d will burn the chit out of the lawn in this weather.

Best bet is not make any suggestions other than call a pro. OTC stuff is generally useless, homeowners will put on too much because they are inpatient (if one is good, ten is better) the weather is hot making herbicide application dangerous for burning the lawn.

Less water and a shot of some organic liquid nitrogen to the area will put the st. Augustine on steriods real fast and choke off the broadleaf.

BTW whoever said fescue should look up fescue on wikepedia. This is what fescue looks like:

http://foragesoftexas.tamu.edu/species/images/fescue.jpg

this is also what fescue looks like

there are several types

i only said that because i thought st aug looked more like bentgrass and zoysia type lawns

dgw
06-27-2010, 08:34 AM
For St.Augustinegrass:
Apply 2.3 pints of Trimec®992 Broadleaf Herbicide per acre with spray
volumes ranging from 40 to 150 gallons per acre.The equivalent appli-
cation rate would be 1.3 fluid ounces of Trimec® 992 Broadleaf
Herbicide in 5.0 gallons of water per 1,500 square feet.
Do not spray St. Augustinegrass when stressed from heat or drought.
Slight turf yellowing should disappear after about one week. Cultivars
vary in tolerance to this product.Do not apply this product to ‘Floratam’
St. Augustinegrass. Note: Care should be taken to avoid overdosing
St.Augustinegrass or injury may result.High spray volumes will provide
uniform coverage.
Refer to the chart on next page for additional application instructions.

this is straight from the label , he didnt mention anything about the lawn being heat stressed, so you dont have to make me seem like an idiot

Turf Dawg
06-27-2010, 09:22 AM
On many of the broad-leaf weed killers you are taking a chance spraying St Augustine in temps above 80. I would personally never use them in the 90 degree and above especially when temp and humidity would be above 130 combined.

I personally think it would be better if you could find a applicator around you with some Celcius. It would not damage the grass and would get you under control on most of your weed problems.

jvanvliet
06-28-2010, 06:01 AM
For St.Augustinegrass:
Apply 2.3 pints of Trimec®992 Broadleaf Herbicide per acre with spray
volumes ranging from 40 to 150 gallons per acre.The equivalent appli-
cation rate would be 1.3 fluid ounces of Trimec® 992 Broadleaf
Herbicide in 5.0 gallons of water per 1,500 square feet.
Do not spray St. Augustinegrass when stressed from heat or drought.
Slight turf yellowing should disappear after about one week. Cultivars
vary in tolerance to this product.Do not apply this product to ‘Floratam’
St. Augustinegrass. Note: Care should be taken to avoid overdosing
St.Augustinegrass or injury may result.High spray volumes will provide
uniform coverage.
Refer to the chart on next page for additional application instructions.

this is straight from the label , he didnt mention anything about the lawn being heat stressed, so you dont have to make me seem like an idiot

Down here in the South, Trimec will most definitly burn the St. Augustine this time of year, with temps over 90. It's a great product with temps in the 70's or even low 80's but much higher, it's risky. There's been some discussion on the Pesticide forums about using Trimec at all on St. Augustine, particularly Trimes South which was supposedly labeled for it. We can't get Atrazine with more than 4% concentration and then you have to dilute it. Even 1% hasn't been very effective on the broad leaf or creeping charlie. I would use it to a 2% solution for efffective treatment but it contradicts the label.

Any way, when it is this hot (here in the South, 94-97 with heat indexes around 107 and little or no cloud cover almost any herbicide treatment in the St. Augustine is not recomended.

My last two suggestions stand. Call a Lisensed PRO or less water and some organic Nitrogen and let the St. Augustine choke out the weeds.

Sorry if anything I said made you feel insulted.:)

Sweet Tater
07-04-2010, 07:24 PM
thanks for all the answers, I have shown the customer the answers to this question, I dont do weed apps and she wont hire, so I advised her to leave it alone for now untill she want to hire the "Lawn Doc" I was hoping the Florida bunch would chime in as St Augustine is almost the official Florida grass lol. Thanks guys.
I was actually suprised to find a St Augustine lawn here. we are so high up in Zone 7 everyone says it wont grow, but this lawn is beautiful except for some small spots of charlie

Knight511
07-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Climate zones having nothing to do with growing stuff... it is merely the predicted LOW temp... nothing else... nothing more. :) Don't get too hung up on it... there are always exceptions to those rules :)

Landscape Poet
07-05-2010, 12:16 AM
thanks for all the answers, I have shown the customer the answers to this question, I dont do weed apps and she wont hire, so I advised her to leave it alone for now untill she want to hire the "Lawn Doc" I was hoping the Florida bunch would chime in as St Augustine is almost the official Florida grass lol. Thanks guys.
I was actually suprised to find a St Augustine lawn here. we are so high up in Zone 7 everyone says it wont grow, but this lawn is beautiful except for some small spots of charlie

First - get this book http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Turfgrasses (http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Turfgrasses-Roadsides-Recreational-Commercial/dp/0974696307)-Roadsides-Recreational-Commercial/dp/0974696307 - will come in handy, even though you do not spray, you can help your customers out by being able to id the correct weed. This will allow you to build a better report with them, if they are using a spray company - most of my customers just have me call in for them to the hotline if the company has one - example true green's then option 2. Take 30 seconds but it is just another tool in your toolbox that will help seperate yourself from the others. Makes it hard to take a lowballers price if your current guy can ID and call in your weed problems right.

As far as what some others have said - not familiar with all the products but I think Atrazine could burn the lawn right now if your temps are above the 80's.

If customer can afford it - try Manor - it is what I use on my own lawn - expensive for home use - but does a great job on a majority of broadleaf weeds.

Landscape Poet
07-05-2010, 12:19 AM

The southern weed be gone does not say that - but it does say not to use on the Floratam cultivator. Not sure what cultivator you would have up there - but here floratam is the most common in CF