PDA

View Full Version : Charge extra for double mow?

LawnGuy35
06-24-2010, 08:24 PM
One of the lawns I mow seems to grow much, much faster than any other lawn I mow. Yesterday I showed up and, sure enough, it had grown quite a bit over the last week (I should also mention we've had rain almost every day during that time). Anyways, even on my highest setting, one mow wasn't enough. There were clumps and blades of grass sticking up in various places. So, I knocked it down a setting and mowed over it, then took the blower to the excess clumps. It turned out nice, but my question is, do you charge extra in a situation like this? If so, do you tell your customer ahead of time or just put it on the invoice as "double mow due to excess growth" or something along those lines? Thanks.

Darryl G
06-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Same price for me unless the growth is really outrageous and then I'll tack on an excessive growth surcharge of 25 to 50% but that's really rare for me. It really depends on how long I have to spend on it. I haven't done it yet this year and have had to double cut and/or bag plenty of lawns. For those that are always heavy growth, I just bump the price up to account for the time required to properly service it. Sometimes I end up letting some of the non priority trimming slip a little if I have to spend extra time mowing.

Hell on Blades
06-24-2010, 08:38 PM
I normally don't charge weekly customers for double cutting. I do charge every other weeker's for extra time.

I've already moved two customers from weekly to 3-5 days. It can be a scheduling problem, but I've had good luck with it.

YardFarmersLLC
06-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Nah, if it is a now and then thing I don't charge extra. Now, if they kept sprinklers on it and fertilized the crap out of it and made it grow that much, they would just need a closer interval on the mowing imo.

LawnGuy35
06-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Good responses, thanks. One thing I didn't mention is that from early April through mid-June, he had me mow twice a week (gotta love customers like that!). But since it's rained almost every day for the last week, he told me to go ahead and mow twice a week again until it slows down. Not going to charge him for the double mow earlier this week.

topsites
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Yup, don't bite the hand that feeds you, happens to me I end up doing
extra but so long they're good customers of mine, who cares?

Here's the thing...
Your paid advertising figures may differ but word of mouth advertising isn't exactly free either,
way I see things either way it's going to cost me, in my case it comes out to several thousand
a year, either way I look at it.
Personally I'd rather just do the little extras, the customers love it, everyone's happy, life is good.

That one took me years before I was able to appreciate it lol

Jpeg lawn maintenance
06-24-2010, 09:40 PM
I double cut almost all lawns that are fertilized because some companies dont know how to do it right and put way to much fert on then you have sprinkler systems so grass will grow like crazy. SO I double cut almost every lawn plus double cut makes everything look 100 times better imo.

Darryl G
06-24-2010, 09:41 PM
One thing. I do note it in my log book and on the invoice if I have to double cut and/or bag, whether I charge for it or not. That way the customer knows and is likely to be more understanding if you raise their price or hit them with a surcharge now and then...it's kind of like keeping score to me.

It sounds like they're generating plenty of income for you if they've had you mowing twice per week and sounds like they're reasonable too so that would count on my score card.

MileHigh
06-24-2010, 09:46 PM
I double cut almost all lawns that are fertilized because some companies dont know how to do it right and put way to much fert on then you have sprinkler systems so grass will grow like crazy. SO I double cut almost every lawn plus double cut makes everything look 100 times better imo.

ain't that the truth. :drinkup:

Hell on Blades
06-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Sounds like you actually have a customer with a bit of common sense. Hang on to him - they're hard to find.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
06-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Only charge for the double cut if your there twice the time. Its alot faster going over the second time because your not cutting muchgrass if you raise the deck abit. Its all in the job we do gotta do it.

93Chevy
06-24-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't charge to double cut or bag (unless it's outrageous, but I haven't run into that yet this year)...like I've said before, it's my job to keep the property in top shape for the amount I quoted...taking into account excessive spring growth and slow summer growth. I only add on charges with leaves.

greenstar lawn
06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
never charge for double cut

Ramairfreak98ss
06-24-2010, 10:08 PM
yeah some customers just go WAYYY overboard on fertilizers in all shape and form...

explain that you'd recommend bagging once "with a fee" so that you get ahead of the game, cut it down to manageable heights so that you dont let the grass SO LONG to stay so damp and grow so much in only one week.

or if theyre near woods, sometimes you can cut it lower to get ahead, and then blow it all into the woods off the turf. Or recommend the double cut or tripple or whatever, but yeah, should charge for your time.

Southern Pride
06-25-2010, 05:16 AM
You know what my problem is, I give them the price before I mow (which is how it's traditionally done) but THEN I found out I have to cut it twice. Doesn't seem right to change it on them after the fact.

After all, I do it because quality and customer satisfaction is first and I work for myself. Noone on the clock to worry about standing around. I don't know about yall, but my exmark metro runs on fumes..It's awesome.

LCCaptain
06-25-2010, 08:51 AM
This a question I was wondering about a couple weeks ago. I have a couple customers with yards like this. Nothing I can do but cut them twice but one got me a little ticked off. I made an agreement to cut this guys grass around every 10days. He lives on a hill with constant sun, so it grows. After I started to cut it he goes and fertilizes his yard and the growth took off especially in the area that I push mowed and bag. This grass is atleast 8" every time I show up. Should I give another estimate when this happens? Just for future reference.

abraham
06-26-2010, 12:38 AM
no single cut just doesnt get it