PDA

View Full Version : Highest quality seeds

bavaria-n
06-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Hallo every body
Itís June and 80% of my property is covered with white clover .It is so bad that I decided to kill the lawn with roundup and seed the highest quality KGB/Rye/creeping fescue mixes. I am going to do it in August so I have over two months to learn and get ready.
My some one help me to fined the best mix of grass? My property is only 1/3 of on acre.
Jerry from NY Long Island

RigglePLC
06-24-2010, 09:32 PM
http://ampacseed.com/
https://www.seedsuperstore.com/Default.asp

However, clover is not so difficult if you go with a professional--or maybe a heavy duty weed product--like Ortho Chickweed, Clover, Oxalis Killer. Add some detergent to the solution to help wet the waxy leaves. Use the maximum allowed on the label. Be ready to repeat the spray in late summer or fall, if needed.

bavaria-n
06-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Thank you Rig
This is getting complicated.
In the second link I am going to grass mixer ď3Ē and the problem begins, there is so many different grass varieties, just KBG about 30 types.
My plan was 80% KBG 10% Rye and 10% Creeping Fescue ,is it ok?
And my some one help me with the varieties?

bigslick7878
06-24-2010, 11:18 PM

RigglePLC
06-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Bavaria,
your plan is good, but plain Kentucky bluegrass (generic) just will not do. You want the sod quality, disease-resistant top varieties for your part of the country. Seed superstore's mixture called SS5000 is a good choice of a pre-mixed type.
Bedazzled, Midnight II, and Nu-Destiny KBG are all excellent. Combine with 10 percent disease-resistant super premium rye such as Amazing GLS, Palmer 4, or Blazer 4.

If you want truly excllent grass go with Yankee Stadium sod (Delea sod farms).

If you plan to do it yourself---be sure to remember KBG is very slow to germinate and fill in. It takes the professional at the sod farm about 18 monts to form a fully thick sod.

bavaria-n
06-26-2010, 06:33 AM
That is why I wan to mix them, because KGB is slow and the other pop up first to have green lawn.
How many pounds of seed I need for 1/3 of an acre?

bavaria-n
07-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Here is my backyard, it’s white of the cloves , I think is to much of it and playing with some killer won’t do.

By the way white is giving cold snow sensation in this hot summer days… :laugh:

RigglePLC
07-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Kentucky bluegrass is usually sown at 4 pounds per thousand. The clover can be eliminated with some heavy-duty weed control--containing triclopyr.

lungs414
07-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Look into this place in riverhead, the long island cauliflower associates. I need work on my lawn and a good landscaper in my area recomended them. He recommended their tri-rye seed, said he used it in his yard. Fast germination excellent color and disease tolerance. According to their web site they have been around for almost 100 years, and have an excellent reputation. Have a home in riverhead it's a no brained for me, although haven't gotten there yet.
Good luck
Rich
Posted via Mobile Device

EastCoast
07-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Purchase Trimec Classic and that will smoke the white clover, no need to start from scratch. I live in Melville, LI, I purchase various seeds from SeedSuperStore, 80% KBG 20% Perennial Rye... Grass looks amazing even with the heat.

Stop by and you can see for yourself
Posted via Mobile Device