PDA

View Full Version : EGR Delete for 6.0 Ford

Gravel Rat
06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Time to do a delete on my 2006 F-450 and get rid of that rotten emmissions crap there is no emmissions testing here and probably never will be.

So which is the best EGR delete I have looked at a few online they range from the block off plate and modified up pipe to modified intake.

I don't know if I have any warranty left on this truck or not it has 47,000 miles it is a USA import.

I pulled the EGR valve today and it was clogged a little bit and it was a little bit wet so my EGR cooler might be weeping a little bit. So it is time to get rid of the cooler I don't want to replace the cooler POS.

Pulling wrenches isn't a problem for me but doing a EGR removal makes me a little nervous.

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-26-2010, 09:27 AM
with these kits dont you have to reprogram the comp to eliminate the codes for the EGR as well?

when i blocked it off on my built monte carlo i know i turned off about 3-4 codes that were EGR related.

let me know what you find b/c im considering doing that to our 6.0L 350.

Gravel Rat
06-26-2010, 04:48 PM
There is a few options out there I don't know which one. The completely modifified intake is probably the best option because you end up with a clean intake and eveything is removed.

I was looking at the Sinister Diesel EGR delete and it looked like the easiest one to install but you still have the carboned up intake inless you take the intake off and clean it out.

rmdm94
06-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Just unplug it. I did 45,000 miles ago and it runs fine. My mechanic told me about it.

Gravel Rat
06-26-2010, 06:49 PM
I unplugged mine on the 03 I ran if for a while like that then plugged it back in. The cooler on the 06 might be weeping so I really don't want to be building up too much heat in it leaving the EGR valve unplugged.

Nobody can give a straight answer if it is safe to leave the EGR unplugged.

Time to just get rid off the cooler and leave the EGR plugged in to fool the computer.

I got some of that black soot all over my arms what a son of a bit** to wash off and you think that crap is going back into the engine. I had to use brake clean to get it off my arms I can only imagine what the intake runners look like.

StoneFaced
06-26-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm in the same boat...only mine is leaking coolant. I'm thinking about just doing the entire job and maybe buying this kit on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310201883249&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I'm getting it pressure tested this week, then I'll figure out for sure...because I may just fix it and dump it. If the japs ever come out w/ a one ton diesel, I'll be the first in line.

John_DeereGreen
06-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Get a hold of Adam Brannon at First Coast Diesel Performance, and then get a hold of Eric at Innovative Diesel.

Get yourself some gauges in, get Adam's delete in, and run Eric's programming. You'll be amazed with your truck once it's done.

You might want to keep head studs in the back of your mind as a potential cost if your cooler is leaking now. Means it's already been hot and there's the potential that other parts could have gotten hot enough to stretch some.

Have fun and be careful!

CrystalCreek
06-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Ok...words from a horse that has actually done this to a 6.0....Elite Diesel makes the best kit.

You will need to remove the turbo and most of the sh*t on top of the engine. The intake manifold will not need to be removed. If you take your time and lots of pictures, then it is a relativly esay job, just time consumming. Took me about 9 hours and I consider myself a pretty damn good wrencher. Now, you will not need any special tools from what I remember. Having a second pair of hands is a great help. Turbo is really heavy when trying to lift it out while laying across the engine. As far as codes, 03 and 04 will not need anything. The computer will never know the difference. 05 and newer will need to be programmed. Elite also sells these programmers. Also, 03 and 04 will not require the up pipe to be changed as there is no "Scope" inside the pipe. Just use the supplied block off plate. 05 and newer will need the up pipe replaced. Hope this helps out and feel free to ask questions....

Gravel Rat
06-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Ok...words from a horse that has actually done this to a 6.0....Elite Diesel makes the best kit.

You will need to remove the turbo and most of the sh*t on top of the engine. The intake manifold will not need to be removed. If you take your time and lots of pictures, then it is a relativly esay job, just time consumming. Took me about 9 hours and I consider myself a pretty damn good wrencher. Now, you will not need any special tools from what I remember. Having a second pair of hands is a great help. Turbo is really heavy when trying to lift it out while laying across the engine. As far as codes, 03 and 04 will not need anything. The computer will never know the difference. 05 and newer will need to be programmed. Elite also sells these programmers. Also, 03 and 04 will not require the up pipe to be changed as there is no "Scope" inside the pipe. Just use the supplied block off plate. 05 and newer will need the up pipe replaced. Hope this helps out and feel free to ask questions....

Thanks for the info I'am still looking what is available see with me being in Canada getting this stuff shipped is $$$$$.

bobcat_ron
06-28-2010, 09:33 AM
My EGR cooler was pulled out, the valve is still in place but unplugged and the computer is programmed to ignore it.
Now when the engine idles, it will try to clean out the EGR valve, so the turbo will spool down, then back up and then spool up to 2 psi, sounds pretty mean.

AEL
06-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Dont just unplug it. I did this to my 6.0 and so did a friend of mine, buddy of ours who is a ford tech almost sh*t himself when he herd we did this. If your going to do it, do it properly.

Gravel Rat
06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I will delete the cooler I thought about a block off plate for the cooler it is the cheapest option but if the cooler ever does leak the engine injests coolant. I think mine maybe weeping a little which will probably get worse.

I know of people that have had EGR coolers replaced just to fail again a short time later.

BD Power did Ron's truck he is still walking like he rode a horse for a couple days for what they charged him, anyway I look at it it will be 600 dollars for parts.

bobcat_ron
06-28-2010, 08:15 PM
I will delete the cooler I thought about a block off plate for the cooler it is the cheapest option but if the cooler ever does leak the engine injests coolant. I think mine maybe weeping a little which will probably get worse.

I know of people that have had EGR coolers replaced just to fail again a short time later.

BD Power did Ron's truck he is still walking like he rode a horse for a couple days for what they charged him, anyway I look at it it will be 600 dollars for parts.

A good part of the $3400 cost was the pipe and labour, the actual delete was only $650, but keep your cooler just in case the Government pulls a fast one if they kill the AirCare system, if Government is making a profit off an industry they control, they will kill it. They would rather see a loss or break even than have a profit.

Gravel Rat
06-28-2010, 11:54 PM
A good part of the $3400 cost was the pipe and labour, the actual delete was only $650, but keep your cooler just in case the Government pulls a fast one if they kill the AirCare system, if Government is making a profit off an industry they control, they will kill it. They would rather see a loss or break even than have a profit.

I don't think we will see emmission testing here but you never know. I was looking at the Sinister system it pretty much just eliminates the cooler the intake manifold isn't modified. So if the damn gov't ever does emmission system checks again you could possibly put the stuff back.

Have to check with BD to see what they say I also have delt with Piers diesel they also have EGR deletes.

CrystalCreek
06-29-2010, 11:56 PM
For those that are worried about the emissions testing, there is a product called a "Sneeky Pipe" It looks exactly like the factory up pipe on the rear of the engine but it is completly sealed from where it would connect to the EGR cooler. The only way that emission people could tell if it has been modified would be to disassemble the engine parts. There is no way in hell they are going to start doing that. There are also companies that have mock EGR coolers that are dead but still look factory. They even keep the EGR valve in stock place but is will never open up to anything. Really slick sh*t. But as will all quality pieces, there are very expensive. Let me knoow how ya make ot GravelRat!

Gravel Rat
06-30-2010, 12:16 AM
I'am going to keep a eye on things for now and phone around to the local diesel shops to see what they have. I will run the truck another month and pull the EGR valve it if comes out dry carbon I will think about the sneaky pipe. If there is traces of wet carbon it is time to get rid of the cooler.