PDA

View Full Version : A lawnmower blade that thatches lawns?

speedster
06-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Was in sears the other day and saw a 21" replacement blade that has thick nylon spikes coming from the blade that is supposed to remove thatch from your lawn. It was about $20. Apparently you could adjust the height of your deck to accomplish certain tasks. Said something about setting the deck height to medium to pull up thatch and bad it at the same time. But you could lower your deck to scalp your lawn.

I'm sure this thing probably does a pretty horrific job of actually thatching but I wonder if it would be good to use immediately before a reseeding in order to scarify the lawn surface.

cuttin-to-the-Max
06-28-2010, 05:57 PM
i saw that too! i bet it doesnt work worth a dime!

ajslands
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
my buddy tried it on his toro 36" and he said it didn't work at all, but he showed me how it worked, its like spring loaded i believe. but ya he told me it didn't work at all.

poncho62
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
I hear they do more damage than good..........

carriedrewdog
06-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I used it to tear up my dead St Augustine lawn I had sprayed with Roundup 2 weeks earlier. The nylon line wore out after 200 sq/ft and I had to keep replacing it with .155 trimmer line (used on walk behind trimmers). Better than beating dirt with a handheld trimmer but not by much. I used it in scalp mode with the mower down all the way. I wouldn't use it on any live grass that spreads by runners.

whosedog
06-28-2010, 08:32 PM
The one that has metal springs actually works pretty good .You just have to keep moving with it or it will dig a circle in the lawn.I only use it early springtime in areas I can't get the jrco thatcher.It tears up everything so you don't want to use it on a growing lawn and you have to be careful cause it shoots rocks pretty far.