PDA

View Full Version : Gross for 2.75 hours

toac
06-28-2010, 07:42 PM
From start to finish my gross is $222.88 for 2.75 hours of work. This is just standard lawn service only. Does this sound right to everyone?

Darryl G
06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Depends what you're doing, how far you had to travel, how long it took you to set up for the job, how much time for the estimate etc. Don't forget to figure all of that in. But in most cases $80+/hour working by yourself is pretty good.

toac
06-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Cut, trim, and blow only. 2.75 from start to finish, but I'll give a total of 3 hours total with travel time.

The estimate took a total of 5 minutes.

Darryl G
06-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Sounds good to me.

nepatsfan
06-28-2010, 09:28 PM
I wouldnt retire yet....

wbw
06-28-2010, 09:33 PM
It will sound right when you do it fifteen times every week.

toac
06-28-2010, 09:37 PM
I wouldnt retire yet....

really...??? Thanks for the advice.

My point is that I'm servicing 12 lawns for 222.88. My average price $18.53 per lawn, or $1.23 per minute. Most people won't "drop their gates" for under 25, 30, 35, etc...

Don't be afraid of the small lots. I would love to have a full schedule of these small lots.

toac
06-28-2010, 09:39 PM
It will sound right when you do it fifteen times every week.

You are absolutely right. I would love to do that. It would take a few years to get there, but it's definitely possible. And of course pricing would go up a smidge to cover the price of a helper, workers comp, etc...

Darryl G
06-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Well ok, but you've got all the administrative time involved too for managing, scheduling and invoicing those customers. Still seems ok though, but just imagine what you'd be making if you were charging each a $25 or $30 minimum...

toac
06-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Well ok, but you've got all the administrative time involved too for managing, scheduling and invoicing those customers. Still seems ok though, but just imagine what you'd be making if you were charging each a $25 or $30 minimum...

As much as I would love to charge 25 or 30, my customers won't pay me that much for the 10-13 minutes I'm at their lot. I'm not servicing a "rich" area. The area I'm servicing is mostly older customers or single income families. The lots are no bigger than 5000sqft.

I don't invoice the customers. I have credit card information that is charged at the end of the month automatically. I understand that with the amount of customer's I have now it's no big deal, but 200 might be a different story. I hope to have an automated system once I'm at that point.

Scheduling will take some time, especially when you add several customer's a week, but I will take that as it comes.

Right now I am a laborer for my company. After the next year or 2 I will transition myself to be more of a business man as opposed to a laborer.

LKCLawnService
06-28-2010, 11:07 PM
I love when people say there customers wont pay 25-30 for 15 minutes of work. How do these big mowers get paid for? I tell them if they dont like it mow it yourself, theres a reason there lazy asses hired me.(ok this is what i wish i could say lol). If you are stopping the truck and mowing 2-5 at a time thats a different story.

nepatsfan
07-02-2010, 07:57 PM
You have lawns that end in change? You said you grossed 222.88. Do you seriously go bid a lawn at 24.38 cents or something. ??? They probably wouldnt pay 24 right or 25 or even 30

lifetree
07-02-2010, 08:59 PM
... If you are stopping the truck and mowing 2-5 at a time thats a different story.

Absolutely, that type of situation is a different story ... you can make it work for small lots if they're grouped together like that !! Otherwise, if they're spread out all over town, then you would lose your shirt on them.

DuraCutter
07-05-2010, 12:24 AM
I wouldnt retire yet....

Hahaha... good advice. Maybe in 40 years with no spending ever...ever...

unkownfl
07-05-2010, 02:08 AM
You have lawns that end in change? You said you grossed 222.88. Do you seriously go bid a lawn at 24.38 cents or something. ??? They probably wouldnt pay 24 right or 25 or even 30

Just a guess but I would have to assume he bills for the month like say 75 bucks for the month and then divides it out; then it becomes down to the penny. He mentioned the cards get run once per month...

Did you minus your merchant rate too???

Stillwater
07-05-2010, 03:09 AM
You are complying with the new credit card laws recently in effect right?

topsites
07-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Personally speaking I think you may have Mickey moused yourself some in order to
get over a dollar a minute, on the other hand I don't think you're doing badly.

toac
08-16-2010, 09:53 PM
I love when people say there customers wont pay 25-30 for 15 minutes of work. How do these big mowers get paid for? I tell them if they dont like it mow it yourself, theres a reason there lazy asses hired me.(ok this is what i wish i could say lol). If you are stopping the truck and mowing 2-5 at a time thats a different story.

How big of a mower do I need for a 5000 sqft lot? Especially when the cutting area is usually less than 2500 sqft. I'm using a 21" Toro (residential). I know, residential equipment sucks..., but I will upgrade to a commercial once this mower dies.

My 1st 4 lots today were all within a 1/4 mile of each other. Total time from start to finish was about 31 minutes. This was including drive time. My final 6 lots took about an hour and 15 minutes. Total cut time was 108 minutes. Now I don't want to inflate the numbers so I will say this didn't include travel time from start to finish. Total time from home to home was about 133 minutes. Total invoiced today was 184.90.

toac
08-16-2010, 09:56 PM

It's just marketing. What looks better, $18 or $17.99? Maybe it doesn't look better, but I think it sticks out more.

I don't know if it really works, but large corporations use it, why can't I?

toac
08-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Absolutely, that type of situation is a different story ... you can make it work for small lots if they're grouped together like that !! Otherwise, if they're spread out all over town, then you would lose your shirt on them.

I travel no more than a mile for both routes. I have a couple stops where I do not have to load and unload. I would love to get 5-10 where I don't have to load/unload. I hope to get a few stops like that by next year.

toac
08-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Just a guess but I would have to assume he bills for the month like say 75 bucks for the month and then divides it out; then it becomes down to the penny. He mentioned the cards get run once per month...

Did you minus your merchant rate too???

Merchant rate is not taken out yet. I'm hoping that once I get a few (a lot) more accounts that I will be able to negotiate a better rate. I contemplated running once a week (after service), but the additional charges are too much, or so I think. I've had a no payer or 2, so I will have to do some more math in the off season to see where the threshold is.

Maybe bi-weekly charging is the answer. Maybe upfront payments is. I wonder how many people will balk at the idea of paying before I service.

toac
08-16-2010, 10:05 PM
You are complying with the new credit card laws recently in effect right?

I hope so. Can you elaborate?

toac
08-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Personally speaking I think you may have Mickey moused yourself some in order to
get over a dollar a minute, on the other hand I don't think you're doing badly.

A $ a minute is a $ a minute. I don't care if I'm cutting 5 acres or 5000 sqft. I do know if a heck of a lot easier for me to get the 5000 sqft lots than the 5 acres. Plus my cost is minimal to service the 5000 sqft lot. My samll equipment will fit into my S-10 without a trailer. Less maintenance and better gas mileage.