PDA

View Full Version : New Hustler Mini Z Owner with Questions

fthomasr
06-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I just bought a 2007 Mini Z 42" Kawa 19hp 56hrs (I spoke with you about it PJ, via email)

Cut for the first time tonight and wow! Leaves a very clean even cut. Quite impressed.

Where should the throttle be set when engaging the blades? The manual just says 'not full throttle.' Half throttle? Seems to LUG the engine down for a second pretty hard at anything below 3/4 throttle.

How hard should the throttle lever be to move? Mine is quite stiff and takes a good bit of force to slide (choke also.)

When both levers are forward it pulls to one side. I've checked the parts manual and there is nothing I could find about adjusting for that, only parking. Is there an adjustment for it?

The hydros whine quite a bit, however I've never driven a ZTR before so I don't know what's normal. The previous owner had never so much as lifted the seat. The hydro oil was low in the overflow tank (but not empty) so I brought it up to the fill line. I've read on here that going with Amsoil 20w50 and new filters eliminates the whine.

mowerconsultant
06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Your going to want to engage your pto at half to 3/4 throttle, keep your other hand on the choke, in some cases when the engine is colder you need to choke it a little bit when engaging the deck, once the deck is engage and the engine is running without the choke take it to full throttle and start cutting.
Your throttle and choke cables are a bit stiff on that model, it is due to the cable routing in the tight spaces on your mower, this is normal.
Here is the link to your parts manual > http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/product_manuals/107652_0307.pdf
Go to page 9-28 and you will find your adjustments for the control linkage.
The noise your hearing from your hydros is normal to a extent, if it is overly loud at full throttle then I would talk to your local dealer.

Pj

fthomasr
06-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Your going to want to engage your pto at half to 3/4 throttle, keep your other hand on the choke, in some cases when the engine is colder you need to choke it a little bit when engaging the deck, once the deck is engage and the engine is running without the choke take it to full throttle and start cutting.
Your throttle and choke cables are a bit stiff on that model, it is due to the cable routing in the tight spaces on your mower, this is normal.
Here is the link to your parts manual > http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/product_manuals/107652_0307.pdf
Go to page 9-28 and you will find your adjustments for the control linkage.
The noise your hearing from your hydros is normal to a extent, if it is overly loud at full throttle then I would talk to your local dealer.

Pj

There's only 8 chapters! No 9-28.

mowerconsultant
06-30-2010, 11:18 PM
There's only 8 chapters! No 9-28.

Woops....
I linked you to the older manual.
Here is the right manual with a chapter 9, look on page 9-28.
http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/product_manuals/108737_0510.pdf

fthomasr
07-04-2010, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=mowerconsultant;3624931]Woops....
I linked you to the older manual.
Here is the right manual with a chapter 9, look on page 9-28.
http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/product_manuals/108737_0510.pdf[/QUOTED]

Do you mind posting some part numbers? My local dealer has NOTHING in stock and is not very helpful...I called about Hydro filters and he only had aftermarket...no thanks. I have a 928200, SN: 06042XXX

I need part numbers for:
Air filters (inner and outer right?)
Hydro Filters
Engine Oil Filter
Mulching Kit
Blow out kit? (needed for mulching correct?)
Gator blades (which ones? magnum?)
Any and all other accessories available

Is there a good online parts source? Ebay has nothing either.

Thanks

ronmowers
07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
If we can be of assistance for parts and accessories please feel free to email us and we will assist you in any way we can. Thank you

fthomasr
07-06-2010, 11:01 PM
If we can be of assistance for parts and accessories please feel free to email us and we will assist you in any way we can. Thank you

Are you a Hustler dealer?

ronmowers
07-07-2010, 02:05 PM
No we are not a Hustler dealer but can get many parts and accessories to you quickly.

mowerconsultant
07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Do you mind posting some part numbers? My local dealer has NOTHING in stock and is not very helpful...I called about Hydro filters and he only had aftermarket...no thanks. I have a 928200, SN: 06042XXX

I need part numbers for:
Air filters (inner and outer right?)
Hydro Filters
Engine Oil Filter
Mulching Kit
Blow out kit? (needed for mulching correct?)
Gator blades (which ones? magnum?)
Any and all other accessories available

Is there a good online parts source? Ebay has nothing either.

Thanks

Your air filters and engine oil filter need to come from Kawasaki, your engine model and spec are as follows:
Kawasaki 19 HP FH580V-S36-R
You can order those from any Kawasaki engine dealer.

Your hydro filters are Hustler part # 600976

Mulch kit...
Kit, Mulch 36/42" FasTrak SD, w/o blade 107654 MSRP $95.00
Wavy mulching blade is Hustler part # 794214
Gator blade is Hustler part # 794230

Blow out kit, there is not one available for your deck.

Kit, Hitch, FasTrak SD 36/42 only 107696 $42
Kit, Steering Lever Extension, FasTrak 333724 $79
Kit (2 forks), FasTrak Super Duty / Hustler Z4 600213 $212

fthomasr
07-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Ordered the Hustler wavy blades, mulching kit, paint, and hydro filters. Also bought Amsoil 20w50. Drained the hydro tranny and threw on blades/mulching kit. Began the purging procedure. Noticed something that is bothering me.

When I place the two hydros bypass into lock position the right side wheel still is engaged and spins when purging. The right wheel does not spin until I disable the bypass. Went through procedure two times. Bypass on and then off. Then went for a ride. Everything seems fine...still whines the same but I guess it's normal.

The used oil that came out looked very clean (50 hours).

What do you think about the bypass not working? I can clearly see the lever turning the shaft all the way.

mowerconsultant
07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
I would disconnect the linkage from the bypass shaft and turn the shaft by hand to see if it rotating all the way to engage.

Pj

fthomasr
07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
I will rotate that shaft this upcoming weekend.

Well as to the mulching, it produced a great cut however I got covered in debri and the yard was even wet! I actually got something stuck in my eye and had to stop, come inside and flush it out. For the first time in my life I had to cut the grass with eye goggles on. :(

I'm going to have to fabricate something to stop the blow out. I don't understand why Hustler does not make something. I wonder if a kit for the Sport model would fit?

And to add insult to injury I noticed I had a clunk in the front end an hour into cutting. I noticed the front right wheel wobbling. Bad wheel bearing or lack thereof really. I jacked it up and spun it and it seems like there are no ball bearings left. I was stunned on how this could be on a mower with 55 hours. Perhaps it was a defect from the factory. I recently had to replace all the front bearings on my Honda Harmony rider this year after 10 years of use on my lawn. Called dealer and ordered two new bearings. Hopefully the big wheel bolt (that the bearing slides onto) is not damaged from the bearing failure and can be reused.

fthomasr
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Also the adjustment in the parts manual does NOT have anything about adjusting for steering pull to the left or right when both levers are forward. Only parking adjustment and neutral.

Should I adjust the stop bolt the the lever rests against at full forward?

mowerconsultant
07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
I will rotate that shaft this upcoming weekend.

Well as to the mulching, it produced a great cut however I got covered in debri and the yard was even wet! I actually got something stuck in my eye and had to stop, come inside and flush it out. For the first time in my life I had to cut the grass with eye goggles on. :(

I'm going to have to fabricate something to stop the blow out. I don't understand why Hustler does not make something. I wonder if a kit for the Sport model would fit?

And to add insult to injury I noticed I had a clunk in the front end an hour into cutting. I noticed the front right wheel wobbling. Bad wheel bearing or lack thereof really. I jacked it up and spun it and it seems like there are no ball bearings left. I was stunned on how this could be on a mower with 55 hours. Perhaps it was a defect from the factory. I recently had to replace all the front bearings on my Honda Harmony rider this year after 10 years of use on my lawn. Called dealer and ordered two new bearings. Hopefully the big wheel bolt (that the bearing slides onto) is not damaged from the bearing failure and can be reused.

The kit for the Sports are not going to work on your deck, they are different deck designs.
The wheel bearing is a new one to me, I have seen mowers with 2000 hours on them with the original wheel bearings in them still with no issues, so for them to go at 55 hours on it is weird to me, being you bought it used maybe the former owner did something?

mowerconsultant
07-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Also the adjustment in the parts manual does NOT have anything about adjusting for steering pull to the left or right when both levers are forward. Only parking adjustment and neutral.

Should I adjust the stop bolt the the lever rests against at full forward?

You need to adjust the drive rods, there is a bit of play in the neutral, you can adjust slightly in either direction to accommodate the tracking being off.
I just did this on my personal mower with the same drive system you have.

Pj

fthomasr
07-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Ok. As far as greasing all joints on the mower, including the wheel bearings, front pivot joints, etc, do you just pump until you see grease come out? Are there any greasable joints that have seals?

On other vehicles I maintain some grease joints have rubber that flexes, like ball joints. Others you look for grease to squeeze out. Their service manuals tell you, I don't see anything in the Hustler material about it so that's why I ask.

Thanks again.

mowerconsultant
07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
That is how I grease em, works perfect.

fthomasr
08-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm so MAD at my mower!!!! I replaced that front wheel bearing. Then I mowed the yard. Now for some reason each row was cut an uneven height. I checked the deck and it was all out of wack. (previous to the bearing replacement it was fine.) Soooo I starting reading the manual and playing around with the adjustments on 2X4's on each corner in the garage. For the life of me I could make heads or tails on what was going on. I make an adjustment here and then there and it the first adjustment would be off. Adjust the first adjustment and go back over and over until......

I got to looking and realized that the 'pullbar pin' on the right front had popped out of it's hole. Well no wonder the deck was all wompy in the first place. And NOW it's all screwed up because I messed with it! GRRRRRRR! So I pop it back in the hole and stair at such a crap crap crap design. They should have made that pin 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer so it would NEVER pop out OR put a groove and circlip or E-clip in it. I took a clamp and tried to bend the deck 'wings' more but they just popped back out. The both the left and right pins might be through their respective holes only an 1/8 inch?!?

The manual on adjusting the deck is also horrible. So confusing. It makes no sense that you put four double 2X4 blocks on all four corners and expect it to be 1/4 lower in the front when all is said and done?!? How could that possibly be? You are instructed to use 4 blocks that are exactly 3inches tall.

Help MC...my grass is tree height now.

mowerconsultant
08-27-2010, 01:48 PM
When you jacked the mower up to replace the wheel bearing did you jack it from the bottom of the deck? if so you may have popped that linkage out of the bracket.
As to adjusting the deck, the adjustment procedure is a bit confusing to start, but once you have done it once its really easy, the reason you use those blocks is due to the pitch being built into the design of the deck, thatís why you always measure blade pitch from the tips of the blade, not the deck shell.

Pj

fthomasr
08-27-2010, 09:51 PM
So in other words the spindles/blades are actually not level and are at an angle? (So that when the deck is the same height all the way around the blades will be lower in the front by 1/4?)

mowerconsultant
08-30-2010, 12:15 PM
(So that when the deck is the same height all the way around the blades will be lower in the front by 1/4?)

Yes.
Its built into the design of the deck shell.