PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU spread mulch?

Dstosh
06-28-2010, 10:33 PM
How does everyone here spread mulch?

I had a new guy start today and comment on how we spread mulch

We usually use pitch forks to scoop it into the small areas and then dump it straight from the wheel barrow in the larger areas.

I dont know exactly how they were doing it on the job but what exactly do you do?

93Chevy
06-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Dump wheelbarrows as much as possible, spread with a hard rake, and finish was a plastic leaf rake upside down. Sometimes, hand spreading is the only option though. I hate using pitchforks.

hackitdown
06-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Big area: dump and rake.

If it is a small area, I tilt the wheelbarrow forward, and fling the mulch with my hand. I use a 2 wheeled wheelbarrow, I hold it in the tilted-up position (resting on the front bumper thing) with one hand, and fling with the other. Very fast, and it looks good.

MileHigh
06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
pitch forks.

Darryl G
06-29-2010, 09:27 PM
I usually get bulk mulch and fling it with a fork for the planted areas and dump and spread in the open areas. If it's just a cosmetic top dress it's more of a sprinkle with a fork.

Glenn Lawn Care
06-29-2010, 09:59 PM
wheel borrow
hard rake
broom rake
pitch fork

topsites
07-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Wheel barrow and pitch fork, all the tools I need.

deerewashed
07-01-2010, 09:20 AM
i load the wheelbarrows with pitchforks and hand chuck it on the ara needed.

alf500series
07-01-2010, 10:15 PM
i use a wheel barrow and an aluminum shovel. i like the shovel better than a pitch fork, plus its a little easier to sling it.

JeffNY
07-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Wheelbarrow to where its going, and dump it, or pitch fork it in the bed. Then, down on my hands and knees and spread it. Sounds dirty.

ajslands
07-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Snow shovel works good for getting into wheel barrow or just pushing it all out! And then to spread it, usually I use my hands, that seems to work best! I use a rake the least
Posted via Mobile Device

clean_cut
07-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I've used a shovel to put it in the wheelbarrow, duped it and used a garden (hard) rake to spread it, but I'll have to try using a pitchfork to spread, sound like that's pretty common.

ajslands
07-02-2010, 01:52 AM
I've used the rake, but I am more satisfied when I use my hands to spread it. (that's what she said)
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
07-02-2010, 02:15 AM
I've used the rake, but I am more satisfied when I use my hands to spread it. (that's what she said)
Posted via Mobile Device

Anyone ever tell you that you need to grow up?

forestfireguy
07-02-2010, 10:24 AM
We sub 90% of our mulch to a guy with a blower truck. He hits us like 34yard and we sell it anywhere from 40-60yard, depending on volume and if it's commercial or residential. It's totally hands off, his guys clean up and do a great job.

ajslands
07-02-2010, 10:26 AM

I'm a kid until Sunday so I think i'm going to enjoy my last few days as a kid.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
07-03-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't even get my hands dirty, I pull the mulch out of the barrow with the
pitch fork and then shake it through the tines, sifts down real good.

YardFarmersLLC
07-03-2010, 01:33 AM
on really big mulch jobs like new construction I the cat skid steer haha.

But mostly wheelbarrow for big areas, pitchfork to spread. there is one place we did that we spread it straight out of the dump truck. We had a street with a couple hundred Bradford Pear trees. I got mulch from the mill and we drove the dumptruck and trailer (about 30 yards per load) straight down the street, and the trees were on the right of way. We spread it with pitchforks.

Lawn Racer
07-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Pitchfork it into wheelbarrows, dump it on the ground, and get down on your hands and knees and spread it. Throw it into areas you cant spread:weightlifter:

Turf Dawg
07-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Am I the only one that prefers bagged mulch? I hate the bulk. I just open the bag, pour an area and spread by hand. I will use my Kubota to move about 13 bags at a time to the area [right at a yard] and then I will open and dump the bags and let my wife spread the mulch. I have tried bulk before and thought it took too long.

ajslands
07-04-2010, 12:40 AM
i tried using a metal rake and just pulling it into my wheel barrow and it worked great! but it was a very very small load (only 2 yards)

4 seasons lawn&land
07-04-2010, 11:16 AM
anyone who doesnt have a 10 tine yet, get one!

10 tine
5 tine
steel rake
dually wheelbarrow
blower for cleanup

need a little tractor for the big jobs

ajslands
07-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I used my Dually wheel barrow yesterday and it worked great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
07-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Am I the only one that prefers bagged mulch? I hate the bulk. I just open the bag, pour an area and spread by hand. I will use my Kubota to move about 13 bags at a time to the area [right at a yard] and then I will open and dump the bags and let my wife spread the mulch. I have tried bulk before and thought it took too long.

Spreading bagged mulch can go pretty fast but it costs a good bit more, at least where I am. I only use bags for smaller jobs.

The places I get my mulch from on a regular basis load me pretty heavy, using a one yard bucket but they heap as much on as they can fit, so I'm getting about 25 to 30% more than I pay for. I prefer never to dump bulk mulch but instead load it directly from my truck or dump trailer to my wheelbarrows. That way you don't have to pick it up. It just doesn't make sense to me to dump it just to have to scoop it up again.

yardguy28
07-04-2010, 10:09 PM
i have a truck unloader in my truck bed. i fill the bed with mulch and drop the gate, put the wheel barrow at the back and roll if out into the wheel barrow. then dump where needed and spread it with a landscapers rake. then i take a leaf rake and use the other side to really smooth it out.

scottrees
07-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I use a small trash can, fill it up, then shake it out. Gives me a little more control around the smaller delicate stuff. Large open areas get the pitchfork and the yard rake.

Fireguy119
07-10-2010, 04:57 PM
wheel barrel, then dump it, then spread with a rake. I then walk it down or compact it. Spray it with water, and add some more. Usually do this with smaller jobs (residential with a few yards) to keep from breaking down so fast.

yardguy28
07-10-2010, 08:16 PM
i tried using a metal rake and just pulling it into my wheel barrow and it worked great! but it was a very very small load (only 2 yards)

what would you think of me then? most of the mulch jobs i do are around 2 yards. i usually won't do anything larger than 4 yards.

2 yards is the absolute max i can get in my truck and i prefer not to make more than one trip for a job. also i'm not really interested in doing mulch in the first place especially spreading more than 4 yards. i mainly do mulch for existing clients.

wheel barrel, then dump it, then spread with a rake. I then walk it down or compact it. Spray it with water, and add some more. Usually do this with smaller jobs (residential with a few yards) to keep from breaking down so fast.

forget all that extra work. the mulch is spread with a landscapers rake then evened out futher with the regular leaf rake turned upside down.

most clients get mulch on either a yearly or bi yearly basis. the one's who get bi yearly mulch get a thicker spread.

dgw
07-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Pitchfork it into wheelbarrows, dump it on the ground, and get down on your hands and knees and spread it. Throw it into areas you cant spread:weightlifter:

this is my way

ajslands
07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I can fit 6 yards of mulch into my truck with boards up. I just think 2 yards is rather small compared to the bigger jobs of 75 yards+
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
07-10-2010, 09:35 PM
I can fit 6 yards of mulch into my truck with boards up. I just think 2 yards is rather small compared to the bigger jobs of 75 yards+
Posted via Mobile Device

i would NEVER attempt a job that required 75+ yards. if i can't haul it in my truck and only make 1 or 2 trips chances are i'm not gonna do the job.

ajslands
07-10-2010, 09:38 PM
i would NEVER attempt a job that required 75+ yards. if i can't haul it in my truck and only make 1 or 2 trips chances are i'm not gonna do the job.

That's when you generaly get it delivered.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
07-10-2010, 09:43 PM
That's when you generaly get it delivered.
Posted via Mobile Device

i would NEVER attempt to even spread that many yards......i'm solo. i rarely do jobs that take me multipul days to complete......

dgw
07-10-2010, 09:47 PM
i would NEVER attempt to even spread that many yards......i'm solo. i rarely do jobs that take me multipul days to complete......

i can do 75 yards solo in 2 hours

and i charge 10 grand and get it because i wont take nothin less

yardguy28
07-10-2010, 09:51 PM
i can do 75 yards solo in 2 hours

and i charge 10 grand and get it because i wont take nothin less

good for you. but i'm not you. so i can't spread 75 yards in 2 hours. i really don't see how anyone could but you say you can. i don't like spreading mulch so the less i spread the better.

dgw
07-10-2010, 10:02 PM
good for you. but i'm not you. so i can't spread 75 yards in 2 hours. i really don't see how anyone could but you say you can. i don't like spreading mulch so the less i spread the better.

i was kidding

yardguy28
07-11-2010, 12:32 AM
i was kidding

i wasn't......

the less mulch i spread the better......

ajslands
07-11-2010, 01:11 AM
:laugh:i was kidding

oh you were, i was starting to believe that you could realy spread 75 yards of mulch in two hours and was going to attempt it on monday! :dizzy::rolleyes::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh ::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::terribletowel::terribletowel::terribletowel::terribletowel::terribleto wel::terribletowel::terribletowel::terribletowel:

Fireguy119
07-11-2010, 07:17 AM
I should rephrase my previous reply.... i will wet down the mulch for my house :D and my friends/neighbors. This is when i use cedar mulch, and i will do cedar every 2 years. It gets nice and wet and i pack it down, (so i can fit more in the beds) that way next year i can re-rake the beds and it has plenty of mulch and looks good as new. It is a pain in the ass so i only do this on friends/family or really small jobs for regular clients.

SperaLandscaping
07-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I use chopsticks and teaspoons shoveled out of coffee cups. I found this to be the most effective method possible.

georgiagrass
07-18-2010, 12:41 AM
2-wheel wheel barrow
pitch fork
hard rake to smooth it out

Bulk mulch is far superior to bagged mulch; and cheaper to boot.

mike174
07-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Wheelbarrow to where its going, and dump it, or pitch fork it in the bed. Then, down on my hands and knees and spread it. Sounds dirty.

This is the way I was taught 18 yrs ago & I still do it this way today. I rake open ares.

mike174
07-20-2010, 12:50 AM

You know growing up isn't fun....but I guess misery loves company :)

Mahoney3223
07-20-2010, 01:02 AM
pitch fork some tight areas by feathering it on the area (also saves on mulch if your in a jam and don't have time to go get more before the supplier closes)..this is most effective in between perenials, annuals and tight spacing of the shrubs.

Under P.I.T.A Shrubs and such we use the old scoop out of the barrow with our hands and fling under the shrub

Any area we can, dump it and spread by hand. It looks the best. Then we finish rake with a leaf rake upside down if it needs extra fluffing.

Texas Lawn
07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
dont think ive ever used a pitchfork in my life. Wheel barrow, hard rake is all ive ever needed. Seems to do the job fast and efficiently

yardguy28
07-20-2010, 08:36 PM
i use to use the pitch fork to loosen a bunch of it up in the trailer so i could shovel it in the wheel barrow. ever since i got my truck unloader those days are done.

i rarely get down on my hands and knees to move mulch around. i dump the wheel barrow and use a landscapers rake (i think some are calling them hard rakes) to spread it around. once the job is done i use a leaf rake upside down to smooth it out a little more.