PDA

View Full Version : In over my head on this bid!

American Dream Lawn
06-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Hey Guys,

This is my first post and I need some advice, please. I'm not sure this is the place to post this type of question so sorry if I'm in the wrong forum.

I've been in the Lawn and Landscaping business for about 6 months now and have ran into my first issue. I bid on removing and disposing a fallen/uprooted tree, a 60' hackberry (3' diameter at base), and after further thoughts, I do not believe I can handle the job based on the way it is laying and the danger involved.

I sent a proposal/quote to the client and she emailed back saying that she wanted me to go ahead with the job.

The contract/proposal basically listed my cost and some terms such as 'This contract is based on services named in provided proposal. If additional services are requested, the Client will be billed accordingly...blah blah blah.' There is some other verbage referring to payment terms but nothing really else.

Do I have a right to refuse or back down once I've already bid and she has accepted? There were no signatures, just a couple of emails saying I'd let her know when I could start.

So far, all of my clients have been very happy with my work and this is the first time I think I've goofed...before I've even started.

Please let me know your thoughts. BTW, I don't think I'll be quoting on another tree job. I'll leave that to the tree surgeons.

Thanks!
American Dream Lawn

ajslands
06-29-2010, 12:14 AM
if you dont mind me asking, why do you think you are in over your head? if its already fallen, it probably cant't do much more damnage unless its near a house or car or mailbox or wires or something else.

ajslands
06-29-2010, 12:15 AM
you''ll make mistakes! everyone on here has made a mistake in the bussiness un less they are perfect!

American Dream Lawn
06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
AJs,
Even though it is fallen, there are still several huge limbs (12") that are about 15 to 18' off the ground that I'd have to cut. Chainsaws and ladders just don't seem to go together...I wish I would have thought about that first.
Thanks.

fastpine
06-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Use a pole saw,......

ECO Landscaping
06-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Do just that. Sub it out to the tree surgeons. And help out were you can to stay in your Bid price. Do it all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

fastpine
06-29-2010, 12:38 AM
dont the pro tree guys charge a ton?

betterlawnsandlandscaping
06-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Call Cooks tree service in Murfreesboro, he will come out and give you an estimate. I sub that type of work out to him if its something that big.

JoeHop6299
06-29-2010, 04:15 AM
In this buss, you learn alot as you go, don't think it's to much for you to handle,just jump in!!!! In the end you have a better understanding of what it cost and how long and hard the job was and you won't make the same mistake again. Tree work is a *****, it took me along time to grow big balls, and get my pricing right, I lost alot of money in the being but I did learn. It's only labor not $$$ So get it done man.

CHRIS92789
06-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Can you cut the tree down all the way to the ground so those limbs are not that high up? Sounds stupid but might work!

whosedog
06-29-2010, 09:08 AM
I would take on big trees only if I had the proper insurance and equipment,there's a lot of money in tree work but you need a chipper to get the load down to size;otherwise you're looking at many trips back and forth to the dump.The insurance agent told me tree work is a different quote;I assume a lot more money due to the risks involved.

YardFarmersLLC
06-29-2010, 09:10 AM
If it is too terrible, rent a man lift for $125/day and go in above it. It may sound like overkill, but safety is KEY

fastpine
06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
rent a man lift for $125/day and go in above it

Thats a great idea

StoneFaced
06-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Rental companies won't rent lifts for tree work.

whosedog
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Tell her you talked to your insurance agent and he informed you that you don't have coverage for tree work(you probably don't or you wouldn't be having second thoughts about the job).If you can sub it to a tree guy and make $ do that;if not let it go.

Fireguy97
06-29-2010, 02:27 PM
rent a man lift for $125/day and go in above it

Thats a great idea

Make sure that you have someone there with a camera while you do the job. The video will make more money on YouTube than you’ll be getting for the job when it goes viral.

YardFarmer, that would normally be great advice for you or I, but I not so sure it’s a good thing for someone that doesn’t have (from the sounds of it) a lot of experience with a saw.

A 2.5 to 3’ diameter tree with several huge limbs (12") that are holding the tree 15 to 18' off the ground. - Do you guys have any idea on what kind of stress that’s on that tree? I’m sure that you do YardFarmer. If you start slicing in the wrong spot, a lot of weight is going to be moving pretty damn fast.

I agree with most of the guys with getting on-site experience and self training for some of our jobs, but some jobs, you just have to step away and get a pro.

safety is KEY

American Dream, are you fully insured? If you’re not and something were to happen, would you want your relatives and next of kin going after your client. I’ll put it a different way. Would you want a contractor with your experience (and lack of training) doing this job for your family, on your land?

Mick

Fireguy97
06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
take on big trees only if I had the proper insurance and equipment

----And training!

Mick

American Dream Lawn
06-29-2010, 11:16 PM
You guys have been a huge help. I hired a professional tree company to do it for $25 less than I quoted! My prayers were answered on this one!! And someone asked about me being insured. Yes, I'm fully licensed and insured but not sure if it covered tree removal. I'm going to have to check with my insurance before I jump into another quote like this. Again, thanks for y'alls input.

topsites
07-01-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm glad because a fallen tree can be VERY dangerous,
even if it appears to be laying perfectly at rest there exists
the potential for stored energy all up in there.

It's usually more obvious with a tree that's still hanging some kind of way, but again just
because it looks like it's all on the ground doesn't mean it is truly completely at rest.

All depends how it fell, where, if the ground is exerting some kind of pressure on that tree as it's laying down,
the chainsaw cuts into it and all of a sudden SNAP, all that pressure gets released.

It can kill you.

ajslands
07-01-2010, 01:26 AM

How would they even know?

Rental company: what you gonna use it for?
Me: some work around the house
rental company: what kind of work
me: wow man I'm painting my dam house if you realy must know!!!!!

Then just so you don be a lyer, touch something up. And then go cut up a tree. Those tow behind man lifts are great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Fireguy97
07-01-2010, 01:45 AM
I hired a professional tree company to do it for $25 less than I quoted! My prayers were answered on this one!!
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you!

Mick

360ci
07-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I only do trees 12" diam or smaller. Less liability that way! Still, I'd do the same and contract it out to someone else for a tree that large.

cgaengineer
07-02-2010, 07:05 PM

Tell them you are cleaning gutters.
Posted via Mobile Device

YardFarmersLLC
07-03-2010, 01:42 AM
They do rent man lifts for tree work. Proof?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff12/2strokeman/trees1.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff12/2strokeman/trees2.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff12/2strokeman/trees3.jpg

But I agree 100%, if you aren't comfortable with something, don't do it, or have someone show you how.

And yes, those limbs can do some funny things. Thats why I used man lift, bobcat, and backhoe with a chain to the boom to fall them just right.

And I'm glad you got someone to do it safely, and cheaper. Kudos for doing it the right way, and saving money!

Fireguy97
07-03-2010, 04:34 AM

Over the past twenty years, I have rented man lifts thirty, maybe thirty five times. Not once has any of the rental companied ever asked what I was renting it for, or what I was going to do with the lift. The only questions are, how high do you want to go, how long do you want it for, and when do you want it to show up.

Mick

lawnsofmerritt
07-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Over the past twenty years, I have rented man lifts thirty, maybe thirty five times. Not once has any of the rental companied ever asked what I was renting it for, or what I was going to do with the lift. The only questions are, how high do you want to go, how long do you want it for, and when do you want it to show up.

Mick

I agree

They never ask what i need it for as long as they get paid!!!

cgaengineer
07-03-2010, 08:39 AM
In this economy I wouldn't see why any rental company would care.
Posted via Mobile Device