PDA

View Full Version : Seeding Bermuda on existing St. Augustine

Blazex360
06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Sorry if this is already a thread, I searched but couldn't find it. Anyway, I'm wondering if it's possible to lay Bermuda grass seeds into an existing St. Augustine grass lawn? I know for best results will be to just till up the St. Augustine but am wondering if just laying seed will be just as productive. Any help would be much appreciated!! Please help!!

fl-landscapes
06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I do work like this all the time. You dont need to till it. Just kill it and slit seed in bermuda. Here is a before and after of one I did seven weeks ago. Lawn solutions seeder. It still needs to fill in, but it will nicely.

LawnSolutionsCP
06-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I do work like this all the time. You dont need to till it. Just kill it and slit seed in bermuda. Here is a before and after of one I did seven weeks ago. Lawn solutions seeder. It still needs to fill in, but it will nicely.

You guys do great work! I'm going to have to stop by 1st week in Dec. I'm normally down there for a week in Fort Meyers, but migt make yet this summer.

David

Blazex360
06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Thank you for the information. How did you kill the St. Augustine? Sorry, I'm a beginner here. And how much Bermuda seed should i spread per sq. ft.?

fl-landscapes
06-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Thank you for the information. How did you kill the St. Augustine? Sorry, I'm a beginner here. And how much Bermuda seed should i spread per sq. ft.?

You can spray it with glyphosate. But hire someone with a lis. for that. Go with hulled bermuda, you get aprox 1,000,000 seeds per pound. Seed it at 2 pounds per thousand. Dave thanks for the compliment, let me know if your here in december and we will hook up. I will be in Boston mid july to take a break from the heat. Rent a slit seeder...DO NOT just spread it on top of the ground.

B.H.
06-30-2010, 02:41 PM
just killed my st augustine and seeded with savannah bermuda and it looks awesome! full coveraged in 3 weeks and is filling in nicely now at 6 wks. had to use a billy goat seeder since no one in my area has a LS unit.

fl-landscapes
06-30-2010, 02:48 PM
just killed my st augustine and seeded with savannah bermuda and it looks awesome! full coveraged in 3 weeks and is filling in nicely now at 6 wks. had to use a billy goat seeder since no one in my area has a LS unit.

I think more and more people in fl will switch over to bermuda. It has many advantages. Glad yours came out so well. Light frequent fertilizations during the summer I have found is the best way to keep it super thick. I use 16-0-8 at 1/2 pound N per/k every four weeks the first season. You can seed at higher rates to get quicker fill in also

B.H.
06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
yeah i think so also, people in my area have always just resodded, unaware of the seeding process. since mine has come in, i have four other houses in my neighborhood wanting me to do theirs as well! two bermuda and two centipede.looks like a LS unit will pay for itself rather quickly. nice to see that kind of response, since i have been wanting to expand my services that way for a while!