PDA

View Full Version : Unique Project-Pics.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Heres a project I just finished up. Its at least different. Its all cut from bluestone. Took forever and a day.

LKCLawnService
06-29-2010, 11:59 PM
looks good

P.Services
06-30-2010, 12:05 AM
pat yourself on the butt for me, that is very nice. way to not be a part of the uni-lock following. (i use that term for all landscpers that use the same 5 plants, the same uni-lock curved walls with a 18" bench seat and some pretty pebble mulch, like cookie cutter homes they have become cookie cutter landscpers)

so good good!! looks really darn cool! and im sure no other house on the block has it

tadpole
06-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Really nice. Definitely not run-of-the-mill. How long DID it take?

4 seasons lawn&land
06-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks. I know what you mean about the cookie cutter effect.

I searched for a long time online before I started this project and came up with nothing to go off of. I wonder if its the only actual stone fence?

It didnt come from a stone yard in parts. I cut it all from Nat cleft and thermal treads.

It took a good chunk of my spare weekend time since the ground thawed here in NY.

It probably took longer to actually design and figure out how to do it. Figure out what I needed, testing, order tools, breaking tools, breaking rock, breaking my ass.

Those posts weigh 400 pounds a piece.

StoneFaced
06-30-2010, 12:40 AM
I've been know to do some unusual stuff w/ stone sculpting, but that is very unique and cool. I feel sorry for the unsuspecting poor soul who reluctantly decides to lean on it. Did you actually do mortise and tendon joints on those posts and rails? Your obviously a perfectionist, would love to hear more about some of your cutting methods and tools that you use. Again, great job...love the house too!

P.Services
06-30-2010, 01:15 AM
i feel sorry for the guy that bumps it wit hhis car and gets beat to a pulp

White Gardens
06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Those look great! The have a unique old world feel that goes with the house.

I do agree with the above posts about hitting them with a car, so just be careful. Plow trucks in the winter would be my biggest concern.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanx, yeah, I have definately thought about the vehicle concern. I'll plow here, since its my parents house.

Yes, they are a 6" mortise and tennon joint, the full size of the rail (not cut down). I had no idea thats what I was doing when I started this (as far as the technical term).

Stone faced, shoot me a PM with any questions. I also want to know what kind of tools your using for your stone work, Im wanting to do some different things.

WGrnd21
07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
now it needs a bluestone path.

fastpine
07-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Thats outstanding man,,,outstanding!

2low4NH
07-03-2010, 04:35 PM
very nice job. We do alot of bluestone work and i mean alot i know how much "FUN" it can be to play with. I would love a project like this.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-04-2010, 12:02 PM
What no carved post caps? lol! That is really really cool! I thought my brother was a cutting fool with his tile work.

4Russl5
07-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Did you bolt those together, or screw and glue? You should google 'Kansas fence posts'. Similar to yours only the ranchers used limestone posts with holes drilled through them to run the barbed wire through. They used stone instead of wood because of the grass fires. Nice to see some natural stone posting projects!

4 seasons lawn&land
07-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I have come across those farm fences online. Also used on the plains where lumber was not readily available.

They are bolted. 1/4 bolt in a 3/8 hole for expansion/contraction of the pourous stone (I know sounds bizarre, but I guess it really does change like wood.)

I was going to ask here. The pickets, some of them were height adjusted by putting them in the ground a couple inches. Do you think the freezing thawing could cause a problem?

4Russl5
07-08-2010, 12:02 AM
I think you would want to leave those connections a bit loose... like an 1/8" for expansion and contraction in winter/spring. They might wick water up from where they are in the soil. Test a dry piece at home in a bucket of water. let it sit for an hour and look how much water is gone in the bucket. You could always go back and remove the soil and put drain rock gravel along the bottoms for a more controlled environment. It looks cool.