PDA

View Full Version : New 6.2 Ford

rungreen
06-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Does anyone have a ford with the new 6.2 gas. Do you like it, does have power comparbale to the diesel. Thanks

buttaluv
06-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Theres a contractor here that just got one, gets about 11 or 12 MPG pulling or just driving in town, he says it will pull trailer & Bobcat, like it's not even there...He said he's quite satisfied with it.

Evan528
06-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Thinkin about buying one to replace my last remaining diesel....... I am a little skeptical after owning sever ford 5.4's....... I associate gas fords with lack of power now. Guess I will have to test drive one.

rcslawncare
07-01-2010, 04:44 AM
I am considering one, and I hear they are good engines that put the 5.4 to shame. If I get in one next week, I will give an opinion... I really want the GM 6.2

ProTouch Groundscapes
07-01-2010, 08:00 AM
ive really wanted to test drive one of these. ive heard very good things about them. i have test driven a 6.7 PSD cab & chassis and that was really nice. guys on the forums are getting really good mileage, hand calcd.

doubleedge
07-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Thinkin about buying one to replace my last remaining diesel....... I am a little skeptical after owning sever ford 5.4's....... I associate gas fords with lack of power now. Guess I will have to test drive one.

The new 6.2l engine has class leading horsepower and torque.

360ci
07-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I know the outgoing 2010 F250 model was rated second from the top on consumer reports WORST VALUE list.

I'm interested in the Ford 6.2 as well. For now, Gm's 6.0L V8 gasser is on the top of my list. The problem is getting one at the dealer to take for a drive!

unkownfl
07-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I've drove the raptor which uses the 6.2... My lightning can take it any day but the truck has a ton more power than the 4.6 3v I bought...

rcslawncare
07-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I went and drove a 2011 6.2 today, extended cab long bed. I wasn't impressed by the way it drove on the throttle. It did fine just putting around, but was disappointed for what I though it was going to be. I want to drive a GM HD with their 6.2 to compare... Then I drove a regular cab long bed 2010 with the 5.4 and it seemed a little more underpowered, but still a decent truck. The rebates are very good on the 2010's, but from the reviews and comments on the 5.4 in a 3/4 ton truck Im going to have to pass unless its almost giving to me. I know its a bigger motor and all, but my 8.1 seems to be the better truck. Might have to go find a low mileage one for another truck as its a good engine.

rcslawncare
07-03-2010, 07:13 PM
they want 26k for a 5.4 regular cab long bed 4X4. Said they were gonna have to do much better than that before I thought about considering it. Basic work truck package, tow and plow prep...

NORTHMAN
07-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Have you considered a leftover V10?Good engine,there discontinuded in the F-250 and F-350.

rcslawncare
07-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Cant find any within decent driving distance, but I would not mind a 6.8L

jbturf
07-07-2010, 10:03 PM
the v10 with the tq sh trans has been one one of fords best combos- reliability/power/cost wise over the last five years (imo)
for us newer v10 3v owners the 6.2 is a dissapointing step backwards

ive got a newer gmc with the 6.0 auto- its a turd, shakes violently, weak on
low end grunt--imo

guess it really just depends what fits your needs 1st and prefernce 2nd

rcslawncare
07-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Hows the ford 6.2 compare to the GM 6.0? If its not much better, Id rather have the GM as I like the interior of the truck more...

360ci
07-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Hows the ford 6.2 compare to the GM 6.0? If its not much better, Id rather have the GM as I like the interior of the truck more...

The Ford still weighs more, but depending on the gearing in terms of axle ratio and the transmission ratios the GM should still be the better performer even though it's behind about 20-30hp on the Ford. GM also has a smaller turning radius so if you plow, it'll be the one to go with. Besides, I wouldn't buy a first year production vehicle as they're known to have some problems. GM engines are fairly proven in terms of a small block V8. Ford builds good engines in their own right too, but again, the 6.2L isn't a proven engine.

rcslawncare
07-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Yea, I figured that would be the better combo. I wish the GM 6.2 would be put in the HD's...

doubleedge
07-11-2010, 11:00 PM
depending on the gearing in terms of axle ratio and the transmission ratios the GM should still be the better performer even though it's behind about 20-30hp on the Ford.

How do you figure that? The Ford engine has more power and the same amount of gears in the transmission and similar rear end choices.

360ci
07-17-2010, 08:21 PM
How do you figure that? The Ford engine has more power and the same amount of gears in the transmission and similar rear end choices.

Check out the specs and you'll find that even with the same tire diameter, axle ratio, cab and bed style and transmission ratios, a 600lb burden on any vehicle is a huge tax. I like Ford products, I've owned my '99 Taurus since new and it still runs like a top, more than what I can say for my '06 Pontiac G6.... But, prices are going through the roof as well. Fords have always weighted in more than most of their direct competition, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but from a performance standpoint, it doesn't exactly go in their favour. My Taurus weighs nearly 2 tons, and is now, by todays standards a paltry 145hp. A similar GM of that era, say a Grand Prix, weighs nearly 350lbs less and had a standard 3.1L 175hp engine at the time. I just got a better deal on the Ford. I'm not biased toward any particular brand. I just like to do my homework before rushing in on a $75K (with tax and delivery here in Canada) HD diesel truck.

I always get a good laugh when government regs are the primary cause for vehicles to pack on the pounds, yet when you look at a motorcycle it's the exact opposite in most cases, where manufacturers are lowering curb weights by adding higher strength steels and alloy components. Sure it adds cost, but that's nothing new from one year to the next irregardless of equipment or engineering changes.

If it's any consolation, there was a match up between the newer 6.7 Ford and a 6.7 Dodge, the Ford had 3.55 gearing and the Dodge had 3.73, and with 40+ less HP, the lighter Dodge kept pace even during the trailering section of the test. The only plus side given to the Ford was it was a bit quieter (400+lbs of extra insulation and extra steel panels can do that), and was slightly more refined. Dodge isn't known for quality transmissions, but with regular maintenance anything can hold its own. A similarly spec'd GM truck is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the Dodge.

When another test is done with all of the Big 3 HD trucks, I'm sure the GM diesel variant will be in first place for performance, the Ford second and the Dodge third. In terms of refinement I'm certain the Ford will come out on top, with GM second and again, Dodge in third.