PDA

View Full Version : 2004 super blade spindle problems

JABBERS
06-30-2010, 11:42 AM
I had my guy change the blades on my 2004 72" super z what a mistake. I have the kit installed to run the flat blades with the spacer. What happened is he didn't put the spacer on and ran those long bolts in the spindle so know the bolts did't go in like they should they are very hard like they are cross threaded. I think i need new spindle but the bolts look ok. I was wondering what size are the bolts so I can get new ones so I can be ready when I get the spindle's . I don't want to buy the whole kit. Thanks

mowerconsultant
06-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I had my guy change the blades on my 2004 72" super z what a mistake. I have the kit installed to run the flat blades with the spacer. What happened is he didn't put the spacer on and ran those long bolts in the spindle so know the bolts did't go in like they should they are very hard like they are cross threaded. I think i need new spindle but the bolts look ok. I was wondering what size are the bolts so I can get new ones so I can be ready when I get the spindle's . I don't want to buy the whole kit. Thanks

You stock bolts are as follows .625-11 X 3.00
You should only have to replace the spindle shaft if you cant get the new bolts to work for you.

Mowingman
06-30-2010, 04:49 PM
You could try running the proper size tap into the bolt hole, to clean up the threads. I have had very good luck doing this on spindles from time to time.
Just run it in gently and back it out often while spraying some type of thin lubricant up into the hole to flush out cuttings. I usually use WD 40 in the spray can.

Ruben Rocha
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
I personally spray some white grease on the threads once in a while.
I have found that the bolt gets some rust probably due to moisture in the grass.
That makes it difficult to remove.
Not a Hustler thing but I find it helps on all my mowers.

BTW the bolts are usually way to short to bottom out in the spindle.
The only difference is the spacers provide the proper alignment for the blades.

Thunderhead
06-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Every time I take my blades off to sharpen them or replace them with new ones, I Always scrape the bottom of the deck and either put anti-seize or grease on the spindle bolts, check all fluids, and check the air in the tires. I love my Hustler, paid alot of money for it, and Refuse to not let it get taken of.

Makes me feel good when I maintain my trucks and equipment.:)

Thunderhead

JABBERS
07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I use never seize on my bolts. I used the bolts in the kit which were longer. But my guy didn't put the spacer on so it messed up the threads on the spindle shaft by tightening to much.