PDA

View Full Version : Which lawnmower to buy??

elsb53
07-23-2002, 05:20 PM
We are looking to replace an old Sears pushmower which is used for trimming after we mow with the riding mower.

We do not have a lot of things to go around. We do have a lot of short back and forth areas in ditches and under trees. We also have a few long stretches. We would like something that both of us could use. Right now, my husband does all the push mowing because the lawn mower is so cumbersome.

So, something not too heavy, and something that will fit mowing the types of areas I mentioned above. Also, somethign that is easy to push and start

We were all set to buy the Toro Personal Pace mower, when I learned from a friend that the front wheel drive mowers are heavy to turn. Thoughts on that? Also, we are concerned about going in reverse with this mower i.e. how easy/hard is it.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

rkbrown
07-24-2002, 08:24 AM
Probably the lightest 21" out there is a Lawnboy. I have not personally used them as I run Snappers and Toros. I have heard a lot of people singing the praises of Lawnboy's due to its light weight. It would probably fit your application well.

FrankenScagMachines
07-26-2002, 07:22 PM
Yea, you can't go wrong with a LawnBoy. Self propelleds aren't hard to maneuver once you're used to them but for trim work only a push one is usually better specially under trees. Lawnboy is for sure the best value and lightest out there. Last along time and can be run upside down without any problems because you have to mix the gas and oil together so it always lubricates instead of a 4 cycle mower (non pressure lubed) that uses a splasher mechanism, if you run them on a incline you can run them dry and ruin them over time. LawnBoy is your best bet.
Good luck,
Eric

JJOHN22042
07-28-2002, 08:50 PM
I use Two Sears push Mowers here very easy to get parts for. Cuts real well also.

edward hedrick
07-28-2002, 09:48 PM
Just bought a TORO 21" recycler w 5 hp Suzuki 379. very lite

easy to push mulching mower.

Martino
07-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by elsb53

We were all set to buy the Toro Personal Pace mower, when I learned from a friend that the front wheel drive mowers are heavy to turn. Thoughts on that? Also, we are concerned about going in reverse with this mower i.e. how easy/hard is it.

The Toro Personal Pace is rear wheel drive. It does not have a reverse "gear". You simply pull the mower backward. The models with aluminum decks are lighter, in general.

scothosw
07-30-2002, 05:29 PM
I just sold a Honda commercial 21" mower and bought a Toro Super Recycler. It's about $570 with tax. I have never seen a mower mulch as well as this one. I have pretty thick Midnight blue grass and this mower doesn't leave a single trail. It's as if the grass dissapears when you mow it. I liked my Honda but I think the Honda is underpowered, doesn't mulch well, and cuts too low on the highest setting when both blades are on. Personal pace takes some getting used to but it's real easy to operate even with one hand going around obstacles. The 6.75hp is more than enough for almost any lawn.

lawnboy87
08-24-2002, 12:49 AM
i think lawnboys are good mowers, but the self propel is somewhat slow on the lower end models. Go with a 21 inch toro

DLS1
08-24-2002, 06:41 AM
The toro personal pace is light weight and cuts very good. I bought one for commercial use but after 1 month the plastic self propelled gears stopped working. So I bought a commercial 21" toro proline mower which is metal gears, metal wheels. Not sure how ling the homeowner toro personal pace would last for homeowner use only.

TheGrassGuy
08-24-2002, 06:55 AM
I just returned my Honda to the dealer. Under powered, poor mulching, low even on highest setting and left uncut grass. Went up the street and bought a Toro Super Recycler with Personal Pace. So far it is a much better mower. No sign of clippings, lots of power and the self propel is easy to use. It was also $40 less in price. So far I am very pleased with it and would recommend this over a Honda especially if you plan on doing a lot of mulching.