PDA

View Full Version : Donations/Charity

JBSurfs
07-01-2010, 11:57 AM
So, there is a benefit for a local family where the son has a medical problem and the church is having a meal and yardsale and silent auction. I contacted them and donated my services for their auction.

Now, I'd do this anyway because even though I don't know them, I feel sorry for their situation. But, on top of that, it is work a little marketing to me.

My question is, would I be able to consider this a donation for tax purposes? Anyone know how that works? This is not an organized charity, but a church trying to help out a family? Any ideas on that? My costs or my price?

I'm doing this regardless, just wondering if since I've already committed, if there is anything business-tax-wise for me. Anyone had a similar experience?

bohiaa
07-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Yea, the org has to be. ummmm. something on the house floor. I for get the numbers. other than that it's NOT a deduction.

I almost got involved in an auction once. But where we service I could just see some one with a 5000 acre farm as the winning bid......

If you want to give away your services, that's GREAT. dont do it for the tax break.
do it because you want too. and TRUST ME. with out trying, advertisement will spread like wild fire....

Best of luck

mikesturf
12-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Not 100% sure, but if you donate your time (mowing) you cannot deduct that. Donating time is just like volunteering. But if you donate bags of fertilizer or seed you can deduct the cost of goods.

jc1
12-29-2012, 01:50 PM
If it is a silent auction, I would just make a donation. I have done silent auctions and typically the amount generated for the charity was much less than if I had donated a few,hundred dollars. For example we donated weekly cutting for upto a 30k lawn for the season. The silent auction made about 200 for our 25 services. It doesn't feel like the charity benefited much from your donation but the person that won it is getting a deal.

wbw
12-29-2012, 10:23 PM
If it is a silent auction, I would just make a donation. I have done silent auctions and typically the amount generated for the charity was much less than if I had donated a few,hundred dollars. For example we donated weekly cutting for upto a 30k lawn for the season. The silent auction made about 200 for our 25 services. It doesn't feel like the charity benefited much from your donation but the person that won it is getting a deal.

I'm with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
As far as the tax write off, I could be wrong but I believe you can only take miles going to and from a volunteer position.