PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Trugreen?

GWhunter
07-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I've got a new lawn (about 10 weeks old) that came in great in 2/3 of the yard and real thin in the last third. I've been having some broadleaf an CG in the thin spots. I decided to call a few local lawn companys to get pricing on liquid fert an weed applications. The few locals seemed super incompitant and lacking knownledge. So I decided to give TG a call. There pricing is pretty comparible to what it would cost me to apply homeowner grade products from a box store. So I decided to give them a try. I'm just going to let them apply weed an feed an no other services. I'll be doing my own areating and overseeding in the fall. Is there any advice you guys can provide me on this choice? I've got some nutsedge and ground ivy to fight. I've also got a mole that I'm battling so I've added grub control to my lawn. I'm well aware that the best method for moles is trapping so I'm doing that also. Is there anything else I should be doing now until fall. I'm watering daily to every other day.

Matt:dizzy:

jcschlic
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
When my lawn was brand new I was a bit uneducated about my lawn and decided to hire Trugreen to help me get things "under control" for the first season (which was last year). It's convenient (you can pay your bill online), their products work pretty well (if you get a technician that knows what they're doing and doesn't try to skimp out on applications), and it will give you some time to figure out what you can do on your own.

What I mean by this is take care of your lawn problems now by using their services, but take the time on your own to figure out what you can do to start your own program that doesn't use harsh chemicals (I started using a corn gluten meal/milorganite/spot spraying program.

I decided to start my own program for a few reasons. First, after their applications I was paranoid about going on my lawn (we have two dogs, my wife is currently pregnant with our first child) because the lawn would smell horribly of thick chemicals. While I knew this meant they were putting down product that was working (and the results showed), it still worried me that this whole "chemical" thing wasn't the best thing to be putting out into the environment (and possibly into my own body).

I hope this makes sense. You made the first step by coming to this website and asking for advice...and this is mine. Use Trugreen to get things under control, then figure out alternative methods that don't ruin the environment.

This year has been very rewarding for me because every time I step out on the lawn and see what is possible without chemicals and Trugreen it makes me happy.

Hope this helps.

americanlawn
07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
GWhunter -- TruGreen gets a bad rap way too often IMO. Our local TruGreen does a fine job. They are well organized, and have fine staff. Quality is also guaranteed. IMO, our local TG does a great job regarding pre & post weed control, and most of their lawns look great. We are fortunate to have a local TruGreen that gives folks the results they expect -- Great branch manager and other personel with decades of experience under their belts.

Bottom line: hire TruGreen so all you have to do is mow (or water if you're not like me). :laugh:

bigslick7878
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Trugreen is garbage, not because of the company but the idiots they hire who have no clue.

I saw 2 of their little signs today sticking out of lawns driving around and had to ask myself...what the hell could they possibly be putting on a dormant lawn that is full brown???

Oh I forgot you signed a year long contract they have to do something to make it look like you are getting what you paid for.

Spend some time researching local companies, but most of them don't have a clue either. You can still find one that actually knows what they are doing if you look hard enough.

ajslands
07-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Trugreen is garbage, not because of the company but the idiots they hire who have no clue.

I saw 2 of their little signs today sticking out of lawns driving around and had to ask myself...what the hell could they possibly be putting on a dormant lawn that is full brown???

Oh I forgot you signed a year long contract they have to do something to make it look like you are getting what you paid for.

Spend some time researching local companies, but most of them don't have a clue either. You can still find one that actually knows what they are doing if you look hard enough.

i agree!

around here, they come to put stuff down and more weeds come! :hammerhead: , but the scotts guys are no better!
some of those guys have some lose screws in there heads.:hammerhead::hammerhead:

RigglePLC
07-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Remember Tru Green was founded by business and marketing majors at Michigan State University, Howard Evers, Don Karnes, Ed Barrent. They copied some of Chemlawn's business model. Rapid growth was the goal. When I was there rapid turnover was the norm. They will probably treat your lawn OK. Plan for them to call and try to sell you add-ons and extra treatments.