PDA

View Full Version : i have a friend that has a 09 fast trac w/ 19 hp kohler engine

SPENCER HUNTER
07-01-2010, 03:54 PM
it is burning oil,,,and back fires every time u turn it off,,,3/4,,1/2,,1/4 speed of the engine,,,and was told that all kohler engine do burn some oil,,,my kaw doesn't burn any oil with 356 hr's,, his mower has just over 100 hr's,,,he is thinking on trading it in and get a GRASS-HOPPER,,,OR A TORO,,,, ANY THING THAT HAS ANOTHER ENGINE OTHER THAN A KOHLER,,,,he seems to unhappy with his mower,,,what do think he ought to do with this issue ?

mowerconsultant
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
He is likely unhappy because he bought a residential mower with a residential grade entry level Kohler engine, he is using it commercially correct?

SPENCER HUNTER
07-07-2010, 10:34 AM
when he got it ,,,it had a few hr's on it i think it was a demo,,,i think it had 20 or more hr's on it,,,,the dealer he got from lost his franchise,,,cause he didn't sell enough of them,,,Mr gene has about 7 acres to cut weekly :)

mowerconsultant
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
when he got it ,,,it had a few hr's on it i think it was a demo,,,i think it had 20 or more hr's on it,,,,the dealer he got from lost his franchise,,,cause he didn't sell enough of them,,,Mr gene has about 7 acres to cut weekly :)

7 acres a week on that engine is not a good choice.

Mowingman
07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
It sounds like that must be the Kohler "Courage" engine. If so, then that is the problem. Those engines are not very stout, in fact, as a former Kohler dealer, I would call them "close to junk". They compare with a low end Briggs engine, or one of the cheap Chinese " Honda clone" engines.
They are just barely ok on a ZTR, if you use it for mowing maybe 1 acre/week. Those engines will not hold up to mowing 7 acres/week. He should have bought one of the models with the Kawasaki or Kohler Command engines.
You can usually stop the backfire at shutdown by killing the engine while it is running at full or 3/4 throttle. Or, let it idle 5 minutes or more to cool down before killing it. The backfire is a common occurence.
The oil use can be as high as 1 ounce/ hour as I recall , and Kohler will not consider that to be high consumption.
His best bet is to trade that mower for a commercial type machine. It certainly is not Hustlers fault, or Kohler's faul for that matter, that he got the wrong machine for his application.