PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new lawn

pasths
07-01-2010, 06:49 PM
So, I'm writing this after cooling down a bit, but not fully - so please bear with me.

We just spent over $7K on redoing our yard(only 1 week in the growing) and we already have a major pest. PEOPLE.

Someone has already deliberately drove over it with a vehicle(right through middle of our yard I have .38 acre) and about a half hour ago a kid rode over it with a bike. Very sad I'm in a respectable neighborhood too, but have a corner lot that I guess the new shortcut is much beloved now.

With 4 inches of loam they both sunk in pretty good so I have 3 nice ruts going through my still growing yard.

I have so far hid spikes in the only area a car can come back in - but not sure if this will bite me in the ass if one does attempt to drive through again - I can see this person(s) driving through getting a flat and running into a tree and I get in trouble for it.

So, sorry for the long rant but any ideas of any safe deterrents without putting up a fence?? At this point safe isn't a necessity as long as it is legal.

Thanks!

AI Inc
07-01-2010, 06:56 PM
A row of large rocks ( boulders placed every 12 ft or so. Along the street.

nepatsfan
07-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Sit outside with a 12 guage. Just like hunting.

RigglePLC
07-01-2010, 09:14 PM
A perfect situation for plastic decorative plastic chain. Cheap and it looks almost like real chain. Place it from the corner of the house to the corner of the lot. Drive in a few fence posts as needed.
Also a good spot for some small trees in pots or burlap. You only need them until your lawn is doing well--then--put them in the back yard or wherever you want them.
A few concrete blocks also work well--just tall enough--to tear out the muffler on a small car.

Replace those boards and nails with fake nails--still effective--but safer.

Even a piece of clothsline across the lawn will help. Hang something scratchy on it so it will screw up the paint of any vehicle that tries to cut across.

bigslick7878
07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I have no clue how your yard would be used as a road in a decent neighborhood. Do people use other properties as streets on a regular basis??

Maybe post a picture.

ajslands
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
i like the spikes idea! that way you can catch 'em! and then shoot 'em!

:laugh:

boulders sound nice
instead of a plastic chain, why dont you use a real chain?
a truckers chain should do the trick!

pasths
07-02-2010, 08:27 AM
A 12 gauge, I wish I could get away with just using my bb gun:)

Alright thanks for the suggestions I will be placing some posts and use RigglePLC's idea of putting a line up with something scratchy on it. Possible some plastic chains with something scratchy;)

bigslick,
Couldn't tell you why an ignorant person uses a yard to drive on - they pulled in my driveway about 10 feet pulled onto the lawn from there and crossed it to the other side.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking a little white picket fence once the lawn as grown in.

EastCoast
07-02-2010, 11:20 AM
People are a$$holes sometime.... I just had a woman make a u-turn into my driveway and her car was leaking power steering fluid.... so I have a trail going up about 7 feet, then back.... leaving this power steering trail.

What I may do is provide retractable bollards.... so when recessed you don't even know it's there.... but they are very expensive.

http://www.bollards.ca/Retractable-Bollards;jsessionid=0a0107641f436b03d30a7e17484da177e5cd61f08370.e3eSc38TaNqNe34Pa38Ta38Lb3z0

Photo before the incident:

nepatsfan
07-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I thought new hampshire was live free or die?

bigslick7878
07-02-2010, 09:54 PM
People are a$$holes sometime.... I just had a woman make a u-turn into my driveway and her car was leaking power steering fluid.... so I have a trail going up about 7 feet, then back.... leaving this power steering trail.

What I may do is provide retractable bollards.... so when recessed you don't even know it's there.... but they are very expensive.

http://www.bollards.ca/Retractable-Bollards;jsessionid=0a0107641f436b03d30a7e17484da177e5cd61f08370.e3eSc38TaNqNe34Pa38Ta38Lb3z0

Photo before the incident:

That is an awesome driveway. Very detailed and well done. Love how the edges are done.

EastCoast
07-02-2010, 10:18 PM
That is an awesome driveway. Very detailed and well done. Love how the edges are done.

Many thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device