PDA

View Full Version : New Lawn... Crab grass and MOSS!!

RIlawns
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I bought a house last november and through out the winter cleared the lot of over grown trees and expanded my yard by roughly 15,000 sq/ft.

The problem I'm having is i tilled the entire yard, there was only crab grass and moss before. I applied crab grass and moss killers, and thought I had the problem nicked. First week of may I rototilled and power raked the entire property... 35,000 sq/ft. I reseeded with valley greens parks and athletic mix, solucal, and 18-24-12 starter.... and pre emergent. Most of washed away in a freak thunderstorm, so I had to redo it the last week of may. I've gotten some good results, but mostly crab grass... and the moss is just starting to pop up...

Whats the next step from here.

JD

RigglePLC
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
You should normally not use pre-emergent when seeding because it will kill the crabgrass seed--and also your grass seed. Howeverit is Ok if you use the special crabgrass control designed for use with new seed (it contains siduron). The problem is that Siduron only lasts about 30 days.

The crabgrass is going to be ugly--it will be huge by the time frost kills it in October. Call a professional. But possibly you could spray with a product like Ortho's Weed and crabgrass killer--look for the package that contains quinclorac. Not cheap and not easy. If you do this, start soon before the crabgrass gets any bigger.

In any case be sure to use crabgrass control, (Halts), in April and again in June if you want to be sure.

RIlawns
07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I used the siduron from anderson... The areas that are new seed/loam it worked prefect, no crab grass. But most of the areas that were tilled that crab grass grew in real thick.

RIlawns
07-03-2010, 06:40 PM
What about moss... I have too much yard to water all in the AM, so some gets watered at night, could that be the culprit? Yard is also shade until 930am and then back in the shade by 7pm... trees around all sides.

RigglePLC
07-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Moss will predominate in shady areas, but it sounds like you have enough sun in most spots. Watering at night can cause fungus--but not a cause of moss problems. If sun is enough, grass will get thick enough to crowd out the moss.

timturf
07-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Moss will always grow in a wet area. It must stay moist for moss!

Moss prefers an acid soil, BUT will grow just fine in an alkinline soil.

Maybe you are over watering!