PDA

View Full Version : Qwikchute on compact Gravely

a clear difference lawn
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I got real tired of filling up flower beds and covering cars with discharged grass. So after doing OCDC research I decided on the Qwikchute. After a full day of mowing with it (14 lawns), I could not be happier. The product woks great and the people are very friendly and easy to deal with. It closes solid and in the open position it does not stick out past the deck - this was very important to me as I have some tight lawns. Just thought I would throw a couple of pics up even though they have some on their website. Hope everyone is staying safe and profitable!

bobcat48
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Looks good.

LALawnboy
07-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Looks good. I like what you said about it not sticking out past the deck. That would definitely come in handy here with the small gates.

On another note, did you dump your Grandstand?

a clear difference lawn
07-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Traded in the grandstand for the gravely. The toro just kept having issues which caused too much downtime. No problems at all thus far with the gravely.

LALawnboy
07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
What kind of issues were you having with it? I've started to look into the stand on mowers more but want to know of any problems beforehand.
Posted via Mobile Device

BINKY1902
07-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Where did you get the chute from? I was gonna get one of the factory ones but I think I might like that one better. Do they have a site because I can't seem to find it?

BINKY1902
07-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Nevermind I found the site, just noticed the spelling is a little different.

a clear difference lawn
07-02-2010, 09:29 PM
What kind of issues were you having with it? I've started to look into the stand on mowers more but want to know of any problems beforehand.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't want to turn this thread into a toro bashing - but the grandstand I had was a total piece!! In the 50 days I owned it, it was in the shop over 20 days. It had two hydro leaks - one from a hose and one from a pump. The hydro filter adaptor was cracked. It shredded a deck belt fter 7 hours. I just could not afford to keep losing time bringing it back to the dealer. I am not saying all grandstands suck - I am just saying that my experience with one was horrible. I also found that in walkbehind mode it had almost zero traction and could not hold a slope which was half the reason I bought it. I feel lucky that my dealer traded me straight up for the new gravely - I've got over 90 hours on it already with no issues at all. Even though I lost money in the deal, I learned a valuable lesson - always demo a product thoroughly before shelling out the cash!

lifetree
07-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Clear Difference -- I see that you have 2 of the Gravely 34" units, I'm curious as to why you need 2 of them ?? Is the older one for back-up ??

I just got a 2005 Gravely 34Z myself, with only 63 hours on it ... I found it on Craigslist for $ 2,800 including the mulch kit ... I know I got a heck of a deal.

You must really like the Gravely 34" machines to have 2 of them ... can you comment on your overall experience with the machine ??

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
07-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Does the Chute Blocker use the stock holes for mounting or is there any drilling involved??

Also, I've been looking at one of these 34" Gravely's, just curious the 16 HP engine, does it have plenty of power? The Exmark Phazer was my other option, and it has a 19 HP engine... Just curious what your thoughts were?..

a clear difference lawn
07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Clear Difference -- I see that you have 2 of the Gravely 34" units, I'm curious as to why you need 2 of them ?? Is the older one for back-up ??

I just got a 2005 Gravely 34Z myself, with only 63 hours on it ... I found it on Craigslist for $ 2,800 including the mulch kit ... I know I got a heck of a deal.

You must really like the Gravely 34" machines to have 2 of them ... can you comment on your overall experience with the machine ??

I do have two, and yes one is for backup. It is a great machine - in my opinion the best of the commercial compact riders. By compact I mean 36" or less. That is a good deal on yours with only 63 hours. I use the older mower one day a week on some of my rougher properties. The only differences between the two that I have been able to find is the engine and the seat. The older one has a 17 horse kaw while the new one has a 16 horse kaw with a remote air filter. It has plenty of power. I like the fact that belts, blades etc are all interchangeable between the two mowers.

a clear difference lawn
07-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Does the Chute Blocker use the stock holes for mounting or is there any drilling involved??

Also, I've been looking at one of these 34" Gravely's, just curious the 16 HP engine, does it have plenty of power? The Exmark Phazer was my other option, and it has a 19 HP engine... Just curious what your thoughts were?..

You need to drill two holes for the qwikchute. I also looked at the phazer and I'm not positive but I think it uses transaxles where the gravely has seperate pumps and wheel motors. Also, if you notice in the pics, I have 20x10x10 rear tires on both units. This allows for increased traction, much less rutting and greater hillside stability. Again, I'm not positivebut it did not look like the phazer could accomodate the bigger tires. Also, I think the phazer is more expensive.

lifetree
07-02-2010, 10:31 PM
... I have 20x10x10 rear tires on both units. This allows for increased traction, much less rutting and greater hillside stability. ...

Clear Difference -- Just a fe wquestions for you, please ...

1.) May I ask how much a set of those 2 tires would cost ?? Did you use the same tire rims, or, did you have to buy new rims ??

2.) How many hours does your 34Z have on it ??

3.) With the Qwikchute that you installed, I noticed on the website that it has what looks like a partial discharge if not mulching or wide open ... my question is how does that partial opening work out for you becaue the opening only appears to be about 1/10 of the standard discharge opening ??

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
07-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes I just looked and I didn't notice that piece of info, the Phazer does use transaxles with charge pumps.

My gravely dealer just quoted me $5300 for the Compact-Pro 34", not sure how much the Exmark is but I've heard its in the ballpark...

a clear difference lawn
07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Clear Difference -- Just a fe wquestions for you, please ...

1.) May I ask how much a set of those 2 tires would cost ??

2.) How many hours does your 34Z have on it ??

3.) With the Qwikchute that you installed, I noticed on the website that it has what looks like a partial discharge if not mulching or wide open ... my question is how does that partial opening work out for you becaue the opening only appears to be about 1/10 of the standard discharge opening ??

http://brutttires.stores.yahoo.net/catu4si201.html This is the cheapest I found. The 34z has 768 hours on it. I have only used my qwikchute either fully open or closed I have not used it in partial discharge mode yet. But I will tomorrow and post how it does.

lifetree
07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
... My gravely dealer just quoted me $5300 for the Compact-Pro 34", not sure how much the Exmark is but I've heard its in the ballpark...

Same here, my dealer just quoted me the same price of $ 5,300 for a new machine !!

a clear difference lawn
07-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Yes I just looked and I didn't notice that piece of info, the Phazer does use transaxles with charge pumps.

My gravely dealer just quoted me $5300 for the Compact-Pro 34", not sure how much the Exmark is but I've heard its in the ballpark...

I believe the exmark is over 6k new, but it has been a while since I researched so it may have come down.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
07-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I would imagine you could use that 34" mower practically on every lawn, I looked and its 35.4" wide, incredibly small, but I'm sure very practical, useful, and fast to say the least...

a clear difference lawn
07-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I would imagine you could use that 34" mower practically on every lawn, I looked and its 35.4" wide, incredibly small, but I'm sure very practical, useful, and fast to say the least...

I did 80 lawns last week ranging in size from 1/8 of an acre to two acres. The mower is very fast, turns quickly, and has a good cut quality and mow speed due to the five inch deep deck. People will argue about full sized mid-mount riders on this site for a long time. But as far as 36" or less I don't think anything can touch the gravely. Just an opinion.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
07-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I think I'm inches away from ordering one....

a clear difference lawn
07-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I think I'm inches away from ordering one....

If you have a lot of lawns like I do with smaller front yards and large back yards which are fenced you can't go wrong. If you are mowing five acres of pasture this is not the mower for you, but for smaller residentials with porches, swing sets and other obstacles which require a nimble mower it is a really good machine. I suggest you go with the wider rear tires. It comes with 21x7's but the 20x10 4 ply will fit and very little deck adjustment is necessary.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
07-02-2010, 11:09 PM
If you have a lot of lawns like I do with smaller front yards and large back yards which are fenced you can't go wrong. If you are mowing five acres of pasture this is not the mower for you, but for smaller residentials with porches, swing sets and other obstacles which require a nimble mower it is a really good machine. I suggest you go with the wider rear tires. It comes with 21x7's but the 20x10 4 ply will fit and very little deck adjustment is necessary.

Yeah, I have mostly residential/HOA's that this machine would be just perfect for and save me a ton of time on...

My dealer doesn't have this is stock, so I wonder if I order one if I can request the wider tires? Hmmmm, I guess I will have to ask....

lifetree
07-03-2010, 12:03 PM
... It comes with 21x7's but the 20x10 4 ply will fit and very little deck adjustment is necessary.

Were you able to use the same rims that came with the machine on the 20 x 10 tires, or, did you have to get new rims ??

lifetree
07-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I did 80 lawns last week ranging in size from 1/8 of an acre to two acres. ...

How long did it take you to do the 2 acre properties with only a 34" machine ??

a clear difference lawn
07-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Were you able to use the same rims that came with the machine on the 20 x 10 tires, or, did you have to get new rims ??

Yes, the tires fit fine on the stock rims that come with the unit.

a clear difference lawn
07-03-2010, 06:06 PM
How long did it take you to do the 2 acre properties with only a 34" machine ??

It usually takes between 45 - 50 minutes to mow that property.

lifetree
07-04-2010, 12:39 AM
... very little deck adjustment is necessary.

With the new rear tires how much of a deck adjustment did you have to make ?? Or maybe, no adjustment would be required ... if you lose an inch of rear height from the decrease of 1 inch tire height, then you may only need to change the height of cut adjustment. In other words, since you lose 1 inch of wheel height you would just keep the deck height between 2 - 5 inches instead of between 1 - 5 inches with the stock tires ... make sense ??

Dogbonz
01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
So I look on the Gravely site to see that the 34Z has Hydrostatic 10cc pumps and shock valves. But their Compact 44Z has Commercial-duty Hydro-Gear® ZT-3100 transaxle.

I was under the impression that Hydro-Gear ZT 34-31-28's were all homeowner grade?
What's up with that?

I do think those qwikchute's would be a good thing, in certain area's. I'm leaning towards the Ariens Max Zoom 48 which seems to be the same as a Gravely.

lifetree
01-04-2011, 09:12 PM
... the 34Z has Hydrostatic 10cc pumps and shock valves. But their Compact 44Z has Commercial-duty Hydro-Gear® ZT-3100 transaxle. ... I was under the impression that Hydro-Gear ZT 34-31-28's were all homeowner grade ? What's up with that ? ...

Thanks for pointing that out, I just learned something from you today because I wasn't aware of this difference !! Beats me why they did that, however, it must be recent because the 44Z use to have separate pumps and motors. Also, depending on who you talk to, the 3000 range Hydro Gear transaxles are considered to be commercial grade.

Dogbonz
01-04-2011, 09:21 PM
That's good, as I'm wanting an Ariens Max Zoom,, but the ZT3100 tranny was making me think, I should find something with Separate pump motors. But if the 3100 is considered Commercial,, then I'll be all on it!!! Around $4200 delivered to my door.

fatboynormmie
05-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Ordered a Quikchute Monday at 9am was on my porch Wed morning by 8am.Showed up with awesome instructions and detailed pics.Great job Quikchute!!!!Very well built unit.Had to make a couple mods to make it work with my Accelerator Bagger bracket .Now everything is setup and works together.Took some pics for other 34z guys out there.I originally had made a homemade chute blocker that was manual and worked great until recently I installed a suspension seat on the mower and it raised the seating position up about 2 1/2 " making it a lot harder to bend over and flip the chute up and down.After using the Quikchute today I wish I would have spent the money a long time ago.

lifetree
05-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Ordered a Quikchute Monday at 9am was on my porch Wed morning by 8am.Showed up with awesome instructions and detailed pics.Great job Quikchute!!!!Very well built unit ...

fatboy -- what position settings does your QuikChute have ?? Is it High, Mid-Point and Low ??

fatboynormmie
05-26-2011, 01:04 AM
fatboy -- what position settings does your QuikChute have ?? Is it High, Mid-Point and Low ??

All the way open or closed. No mid position to lock into but I can drive my unit one handed and can keep pressure on the qwikchute handle with my other hand to keep it opened at the mid point if needed.Looking at the pics on this thread really don't give you a true sense on how well this setup really works on the 34z.You can really customize how the handle is positioned in close proximinty to the sticks on the 34z and every thing fits slicker then snot and dosen't cramp you in any way.