PDA

View Full Version : New Bed Installs

JeffNY
07-01-2010, 11:22 PM
I have a big 'L' shaped bed, between a sidewalk and building. Its 8x46, 8x24. I have to plant about 20 shrubs in the area. Am I wasting my time cultivating the entire bed or should I just be digging the holes where im putting the shrubs?
Thanks

fastpine
07-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Cultivating the entire space woild be a waste of time IMO..I would dig large planting holes, enrich them with compost (mix up the compost and the native soil)and plant in that...

Any drip inplace?...Thats somethin to think about aswell..

JeffNY
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Drip?
Explain?

TPC Services
07-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Irrigation Drip Line, Da !!!

JeffNY
07-05-2010, 03:19 PM
oh, no. Theres no spigot near the bed, closest one is about 300' away

93Chevy
07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I always cultivate as much of my beds as possible to ensure proper soil throughout the entire bed, not just at each plant. I generally may bring in fresh topsoil, soil conditioner and/or peatmoss and till everything up. Makes for easy digging and healthy root development.

White Gardens
07-06-2010, 09:13 AM
I always cultivate as much of my beds as possible to ensure proper soil throughout the entire bed, not just at each plant. I generally may bring in fresh topsoil, soil conditioner and/or peatmoss and till everything up. Makes for easy digging and healthy root development.

Generally I do the same. Sometimes though I run into good soil on installs and it doesn't need a tilling or amending, but that only happens 50% of the time.

Basically you need to do a site analysis. The greatest thing about tilling is that you can easily grade out the area for proper drainage after you till.

93Chevy
07-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Generally I do the same. Sometimes though I run into good soil on installs and it doesn't need a tilling or amending, but that only happens 50% of the time.

Basically you need to do a site analysis. The greatest thing about tilling is that you can easily grade out the area for proper drainage after you till.

You're right, I forgot about grading. That's another benefit to tilling.