PDA

View Full Version : Help pricing out my first landscaping job

bballv20
07-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Below are pics of a law office the guy wants us to lay down mulch for. Hes reasonable and says he wants it to look nice. what were planning on doing is this in this order:

rent 2 tillers 6.5 hp 18 and 20 inches wide. $90 for both for 4 hours.
lay down some top soil where we need to put grass seed
put edging down as a barrier
lay down one wood landscape tie
garden weed preventer sheets
plant 3 bushes
lay mulch
plant grass seed

i figured it should take my partner 8 hours all together 2 separate days, 1 for tilling and 1 for the rest of the work. I figured it'd be better just to go back the next day rather than go across town take the tillers back then go back.

the total area in feet is 15 feet 3 inches x 80 inches in front for mulch
the side measures 56 feet x 11 feet 4 inches

My average paint skills show what the building should look like in the 2nd pic.
The guy said he just wants it to be easy to maintain and this is kind of what he worded to me during our walk through for what he wants it to look like.

Glenn Lawn Care
07-02-2010, 07:08 PM
One tiller would prolly do the trick! Its sounds like an easy job after the tilling is done have your parnter bring back the tiller and you finish the job. Thats what I would do. It does seem like it you take you 8 hours. I done things like that before lunch.

White Gardens
07-06-2010, 09:28 AM
You should up-sell and try to put in a retaining wall between the house and the parking lot.

What kind of edging are you going to use, and I would recommend amending that soil.

Hoy landscaping
07-06-2010, 10:16 PM
hey white. hes obviously new, do you really think he can put in a wall?

jay albers
07-07-2010, 01:08 AM
looks like an easy job for your first one. Dont be affraid to get created, Remember your the designer. Id try to sell a couple more plants. Hes a lawyer, thats the first thing his clients will see when they come in, Sell him on that, tell him to have you come in from time to time for up keep.

like i said tho your the designer and you know your client, good luck bud

NarNar
07-09-2010, 05:14 PM
looks like an easy job for your first one. Dont be affraid to get created, Remember your the designer. Id try to sell a couple more plants. Hes a lawyer, thats the first thing his clients will see when they come in, Sell him on that, tell him to have you come in from time to time for up keep.

like i said tho your the designer and you know your client, good luck bud

I agree, if he is a lawyer, he would want the best first impression. And mulching the left side (with the small trees) has a harsh contrast to the white structure, and green grass in front.

I would suggest you lay sodd down on the left (keep continuity of grass) create a small bed for the small trees, mulch that area, and add a few more plants as suuggested by Jay_Albers.

This is a one day project. Have fun with it. You should post up pictures when you are done.

bballv20
07-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im going off of what he wants, he seemed pretty sure thats how he wants it. Im new but i can definitely put up a retaining wall. Im just not sure how to price it.

scottrees
07-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Get you some decent landscaping software, have some fun with it. Talk them into the upgrades with it. Wondering how familiar you are with torrents?

mtchockey30
07-10-2010, 12:53 AM
I am going to jump in and say I know a little about torrents and ask what the names of the software you say your downloading?? Sorry not trying to jump in your thread

Get you some decent landscaping software, have some fun with it. Talk them into the upgrades with it. Wondering how familiar you are with torrents?

Hoy landscaping
07-10-2010, 12:55 AM
I am going to jump in and say I know a little about torrents and ask what the names of the software you say your downloading?? Sorry not trying to jump in your thread

Yeah what software is that?

scottrees
07-10-2010, 01:06 AM
The one above is real-time landscaping architect 2. There are better ones out there, but this one is fun and simple to play with. Works better that MS paint anyway.

mtchockey30
07-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Is that for MAC or PC I have both but my MAC is way better?

The one above is real-time landscaping architect 2. There are better ones out there, but this one is fun and simple to play with. Works better that MS paint anyway.

ajslands
07-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Hey I noticed you said you were going to put weed fabric down; may I ask what for (please don't say mulch!)
Posted via Mobile Device

scottrees
07-10-2010, 01:49 AM
From the spectrum design site:

Q. Will Idea Spectrum software run on a Macintosh?
A. While we do not have versions specific to the Macintosh, many users run our software on their Macintosh's using Parallels or Boot Camp (programs that let a user install Windows on their Macintosh).

I'm not sure how this would work with torrents and iso files, but theoretically it would work.

NarNar
07-10-2010, 01:50 AM

...You just got me to upgrade! We design with AutoCAD. The hand drawn color stuff takes to much time.

1. Someone asked earlier, is their a version for MACS?
2. Relative to AutoCAD is this software easier to use (AutoCAD is great, after you have learned how to use it, but still can consume some time)

Thanks

scottrees
07-10-2010, 01:56 AM
NarNar, I've been a CAD designer for 10 + years now. I only use it when I have to.(That job that pays for my insurance) As far as freelance I rarely touch it. For house plans I've switched to Chief Architect, and for landscaping plans I use the Realtime Landscape Architect. Don't get me wrong, CAD still has it's place, but it's definitely not in the marketing and sales side. There are way too many programs that handle 3D and rendering so much better. If you have the time try using google sketchup mixed with Bunkspeed Hypershot for some 3D renderings. Its all about the creativity!

NarNar
07-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Hey I noticed you said you were going to put weed fabric down; may I ask what for (please don't say mulch!)
Posted via Mobile Device

Please say Mulch :laugh:

NarNar
07-10-2010, 02:45 AM
NarNar, I've been a CAD designer for 10 + years now. I only use it when I have to.(That job that pays for my insurance) As far as freelance I rarely touch it. For house plans I've switched to Chief Architect, and for landscaping plans I use the Realtime Landscape Architect. Don't get me wrong, CAD still has it's place, but it's definitely not in the marketing and sales side. There are way too many programs that handle 3D and rendering so much better. If you have the time try using google sketchup mixed with Bunkspeed Hypershot for some 3D renderings. Its all about the creativity!

Thanks for reply, I am sure other designers on the site will appreciate your input.

Regarding, Realtime Landscape Architect, Chief Architect, Sketchup/Mixed with Bunkspeed Hypershot... do these software image plant database inclusive? Or do we have to collect the images and build our down database.

Thanks

bballv20
07-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Its for the mulch why?

bballv20
07-10-2010, 12:05 PM
What torrent site did you get that software off of?

ajslands
07-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Its for the mulch why?

You don't put weed fabric down for mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
You don't put weed fabric down for mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm curious why this is. We maintain a couple of properties who have had their mulch done by another larger company before us. They used weed block/fabric. We generally do the job however the customer requests. Should we be trying to deter them from using it? Is it a waste of time or is there really some benefit?
The one property, they ripped up a good 300' of frontage, both sides of the driveway, put down paper, then mulch.
Not trying to start anything, Mom always said, "If you don't know, ask! The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked".
Thanks

ajslands
07-10-2010, 02:40 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/archive/index.php/t-16748.html
http://new.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=110252
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=93180

Those threads explain why you should not put weed fabric down under wood mulch.
And only under stone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
07-10-2010, 03:12 PM

And only under stone.
Posted via Mobile Device

If a picture's worth a thousand words, a thousand words oughtta be worth....
Not another day lost on fabric?
Thanks for putting the threads up, made for good reading.

scottrees
07-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I use thepiratebay.org alot. There are several other good sites out there as well.

NarNar
07-10-2010, 03:16 PM

And only under stone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the links ajslands! I just picked up a new tip from one of the links. Have you tried using "newspapers?" I don't use weed fabic or newspapers, but their are a few LCO that insist newspaper work. I will try it.

garden.nanny
07-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Its for the mulch why?

Isn't the mulch to keep the weeds out?

By the way, this isn't anything personal but I would like to know if you are licensed and carry insurance?

I only ask the question to prove something to another member that asked me the same thing.

I appreciate whatever you can tell me.

NarNar
07-12-2010, 07:50 PM

By the way, this isn't anything personal but I would like to know if you are licensed and carry insurance?

I only ask the question to prove something to another member that asked me the same thing.

Mulch is generally use to assist the soil retain moisture. In addition Mulch keeps the the ground cool. I would suggest 3-4 inches. This will cover the weeds and blocks out the sun "I sound like 300"... Mulch also supress weeds. Some weeds have seedling in the mulch =0(. Mulch is also used as a decorative add on. I would suggest organic mulch, as that can help fertilize the soil.

NarNar
07-15-2010, 01:03 PM
From the spectrum design site:

Q. Will Idea Spectrum software run on a Macintosh?
A. While we do not have versions specific to the Macintosh, many users run our software on their Macintosh's using Parallels or Boot Camp (programs that let a user install Windows on their Macintosh).

I'm not sure how this would work with torrents and iso files, but theoretically it would work.

We have PC to put the program on, thanks. I just prefer to work with MAC, but my fiance is a wiz with PC. She does all the designing. I am just getting into it. Can you imagine, the labor, is now wanting to get creative :)

scottrees
07-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I do the design work, then my wife tells me its all wrong and makes e change half of it. Everytime I tell her to mind her own business sher reminds me that I listed her as a partner because of her wonderful credit rating. Go figure.

bballv20
07-15-2010, 11:37 PM

Yes, i am both licensed and insured. I am a freshman college student and started this business with a friend for the season. We originally just wanted to have a "mow and go" operation but people ask us from time to time to do some small basic landscaping or some odd jobs.

NarNar
07-16-2010, 12:34 PM

We taking a look at the RLA software, it is much easier and appealing for residential users. The plant list is pretty extensive.

Thanks for pointing us into this direction.